Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 10:46 AM

14,074 posts, read 5,690,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
5k rounds really isn't a lot for people that target shoot or shoot for sport.
In marksman/sport training, 5k is ~15-20 trips to the range, which for actually avid shooters, is 6-9 months worth of ammunition.

People see these numbers and think "arsenal" when it is more like buckets of balls at the golf range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 10:54 AM

50,543 posts, read 47,341,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
In marksman/sport training, 5k is ~15-20 trips to the range, which for actually avid shooters, is 6-9 months worth of ammunition.

People see these numbers and think "arsenal" when it is more like buckets of balls at the golf range.
I've see an outdoor range in AZ that gets so much traffic a guy goes around sweeping brass and uses a snow shovel to scoop it up into 5 gallon buckets to be resold as range brass or reloaded by them.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:26 AM

29,761 posts, read 14,825,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Political theater that is utterly meaningless.

All this does is kill some jobs at that plant and provide the competition with free market share. Vista Outdoor (Federal Premium, CCI and Remington), Winchester and Hornady alone are probably throwing parties right now over Brandon's tomfoolery.

Also, as 1AngryTaxPayer points out, a barrel swap to a caliber the government isn't politically interested in takes $75 and maybe 30 minutes of competent gunsmithing.

But if you think this makes you safe and go Brandon, well good for you feeling good about it.
And that is all the Democratic politicians want. They do "something" regardless if that something is completely misguided, or will be ineffective and the non logical thinkers feel good about it, because their team did "something", while the other side didn't.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:26 PM

78,785 posts, read 60,996,406 times
Quote:
5k rounds really isn't a lot for people that target shoot or shoot for sport.
My gist was that in response to this news people are already talking about putting in an order. Mixed in with the avid shooters or occasional plinkers will be speculators.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:29 PM

78,785 posts, read 60,996,406 times
Quote:
I've see an outdoor range in AZ that gets so much traffic a guy goes around sweeping brass and uses a snow shovel to scoop it up into 5 gallon buckets to be resold as range brass or reloaded by them.
Do they allow brass catchers or let you pick up your own brass?

Just curious, my dad was frugal and he would always pick up his range brass from pretty much anything bigger than .22 I would help re-load those and also loaded shotgun shells for him as a kid.

Old 06-16-2022, 12:39 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My gist was that in response to this news people are already talking about putting in an order. Mixed in with the avid shooters or occasional plinkers will be speculators.
Well, this is something one really can't take in a vacuum. During the pandemic, ammo supplies were practically non existent and if they did exist, expensive as heck. So a recent crisis in memory of ammo not being available to go with memories of other times ammo was not available. Ie, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E...ition_shortage

So we have.....anytime politicians say they are going to......with recent crisis of memory.

So, off hand, I would say we have 3 groups, in no particular order. The shooters, those who fear their government is turning against them.....and the privateers who see a nice profit margin.

And what's the worst thing? Is there a crook among them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Do they allow brass catchers or let you pick up your own brass?

Just curious, my dad was frugal and he would always pick up his range brass from pretty much anything bigger than .22 I would help re-load those and also loaded shotgun shells for him as a kid.
Depends on the place, I guess.

At my old range, I would clean up my area, collect and hold on to the kind of brass I produced, but I wouldn't argue if the range attendant cleaned up around me as I shot for I saw it both ways. While I do try to bring down my cost of shooting, I realize they have to make their money as well and I wouldn't try to penny pinch them.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:00 PM

6,129 posts, read 3,837,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Ok.

Sounds like reasonable precautions for the public safety to me. Not terribly different than making it illegal to sell a crib that isn't up to today's safety standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
What? That's the worst analogy ever.

Biden is punishing millions of AR owners for sure on the off chance more expensive ammo will dissuade the next nut job.

Don't wonder for even a second why your side will be punished in November.
Yeah, but that's what passes for "anti-gun" logic on this board.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:03 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,236,426 times
If he can do this with ammo, wonder if he can do this with other things. Like baby formula, or canned goods, or gas, or water, or food....

Wonder if he already has.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:18 PM

17,503 posts, read 9,329,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, maybe that is their standard amount. Mine is a case, max, at a time..........and there are those who see more than a box at a time as excessive.
That describes the Hunter is my house. “ one deer, one shell”
Which worked fine for him (despite my warnings) until he wanted to check his sight and was down to 3 shells.
Took him 6 months to find another box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
If he can do this with ammo, wonder if he can do this with other things. Like baby formula, or canned goods, or gas, or water, or food....

Wonder if he already has.
Silly question — of course TeamBiden can do that with other things.
LAWS mean nothing, Contracts mean nothing and even Court Orders mean nothing — to the Unifier in Chief.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:35 PM

19,754 posts, read 10,195,731 times
That is one of the best paying jobs in the area. Many of those laid off will have at least 10-15 years there. Some will lose everything. But Dumocrat Biden does not care. For the record, Kansas City is mostly Democrats, the burbs are mostly Republican. Lived in that area for 20 years altogether. 5 years of that 2 miles from Lake City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies