Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2022, 08:08 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,312,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Can’t the farmers put sprinkler out there or something.
tell us you're an urban dweller, without telling us you're an urban dweller.

for a more serious answer, read prior responses regarding how Great Plains farmers get/use the water supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 08:10 PM

19,824 posts, read 9,387,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's the heat and no, it's not Biden.
Industry officials say thousands of cattle in feedlots in southwestern Kansas have died of heat stress due to soaring temperatures, high humidity and little wind in recent days.(5 hours ago)

Hot days did happened previously, but not triple digits for so many days in a row.

Yes to post #77, but you can't talk sense on this forum...
Did you miss or not read what I posted earlier on this thread (Post #35), reprinted as follows:

"i found this interesting bit of information when I Googled "longest kansas heat wave":

https://kchistory.org/week-kansas-ci...tory/heat-wave QUOTE FROM ABOVE, my italics and bold:

"In the midst of a sweltering summer heat wave, the temperature reached a record-high 113 degrees Fahrenheit in Kansas City on August 14, 1936. [snip] On the following day, temperatures returned to an excess of 100 degrees. The local heat wave was only half over. In all, there were 16 straight days of 100 degree temperatures that August and a total of 53 non-consecutive 100 degree days that summer.[/i] [END QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK. MY POST CONTINUED BELOW:

I did read that this latest heat wave was in the opposite corner of Kansas. However, what struck me as very peculiar was why did they all die in what appeared to be in unison? Meaning that it looked to me like they all just fell over at the same time.

My husband is NOT conspiracy minded in the least, so I showed him the Twitter video, and I asked him, "What could have caused this?" He immediately replied, "Nerve gas." Now he does NOT have any background that would make that in any way an educated guess, but I thought it was interesting that this was his immediate reaction.

Funny -- NOT -- but I started to write that I hope there will be some autopsies done, but then I wondered if that would prove anything. END POST #35

-----------------------------------

Btw, I missed the post where another poster said or suggested that the cows were "arranged" that way by bulldozers, which would be a logical explanation, I think. MY APOLOGIES for this oversight on my part.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 12 days ago)

35,640 posts, read 18,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
tell us you're an urban dweller, without telling us you're an urban dweller.

for a more serious answer, read prior responses regarding how Great Plains farmers get/use the water supply.
I posted a link upthread that said Oklahoma farmers did just that.

Sprinkle cows with water in feed lots to keep them cool.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:13 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,312,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Tautology as logic, endless culs de sac, meaningless tropes.

Bromides abound.

"You're wrong because you're wrong"

The most famous media blunders of the last two decades were made by news sources you would no doubt hold in higher redoubt.

First they came for the critical thinking.
when I see a Breitbart link or gateway pundit, I look to see if there's an underlying source link - there usually is. Then I look at the facts as presented in that link, which are usually opined on just like gateway pundit does, except a left slant. The issue for GWP is they don't really produce the facts/data, just rail against the leftist machine. Oh, and they're a nightmare with all the ads. Same reason I don't pay attention to the former British tabloids like Guardian.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:15 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,905,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebee teepee View Post
when i see a breitbart link or gateway pundit, i look to see if there's an underlying source link - there usually

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 06-16-2022, 08:22 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
Reminds me of the scene from Yellowstone when those two brothers poisoned the John's cattle by feeding them clover and making them bloat.
Ha, that's exactly what I thought of!

Old 06-16-2022, 08:30 PM

61,768 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Did you miss or not read what I posted earlier on this thread (Post #35), reprinted as follows:
"In the midst of a sweltering summer heat wave, the temperature reached a record-high 113 degrees Fahrenheit in Kansas City on August 14, 1936. [snip] On the following day, temperatures returned to an excess of 100 degrees. The local heat wave was only half over. In all, there were 16 straight days of 100 degree temperatures that August and a total of 53 non-consecutive 100 degree days that summer.[/i]

This was 86 years ago. Did any cows die at that time?
Maybe new breeds are more sensitive to heat?

Old 06-16-2022, 08:34 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,040,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

"i found this interesting bit of information when I Googled "longest kansas heat wave":

https://kchistory.org/week-kansas-ci...tory/heat-wave QUOTE FROM ABOVE, my italics and bold:

"In the midst of a sweltering summer heat wave, the temperature reached a record-high 113 degrees Fahrenheit in Kansas City on August 14, 1936. [snip] On the following day, temperatures returned to an excess of 100 degrees. The local heat wave was only half over. In all, there were 16 straight days of 100 degree temperatures that August and a total of 53 non-consecutive 100 degree days that summer.[/i] [END QUOTE FROM ABOVE LINK. MY POST CONTINUED BELOW:

I did read that this latest heat wave was in the opposite corner of Kansas. However, what struck me as very peculiar was why did they all die in what appeared to be in unison? Meaning that it looked to me like they all just fell over at the same time.

My husband is NOT conspiracy minded in the least, so I showed him the Twitter video, and I asked him, "What could have caused this?" He immediately replied, "Nerve gas." Now he does NOT have any background that would make that in any way an educated guess, but I thought it was interesting that this was his immediate reaction.

Funny -- NOT -- but I started to write that I hope there will be some autopsies done, but then I wondered if that would prove anything. END POST #35

-----------------------------------

Btw, I missed the post where another poster said or suggested that the cows were "arranged" that way by bulldozers, which would be a logical explanation, I think. MY APOLOGIES for this oversight on my part.

I suspect if it was nerve gas the ranchers will let us know pretty quick.

As the animal experts have explained -- the cattle can adapt to extreme weather. I suspect that the historical data you presented --- being in August -- the cattle would have been exposed to high temps prior to that period. They would have probably had summer like temps -- not necessarily record breaking but hot for some time and the cattle easily adapted.

The animal experts said it was the sudden shift from moderate to extreme heat. I should add the animal experts who are on site examining the cattle. And the humidity level was a contributing factor. What was the humidity in the historical date you provided.
https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...205%3A08%20p.m.

Last week, temperatures were in the 70s and 80s, but on Saturday they spiked higher than 100 degrees, said Scarlett Hagins, spokeswoman for the Kansas Livestock Association.

“And it was that sudden change that didn't allow the cattle to acclimate that caused the heat stress issues in them,” she said.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
This was 86 years ago. Did any cows die at that time?
Maybe new breeds are more sensitive to heat?

Can anyone else answer that? I have no idea.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I suspect if it was nerve gas the ranchers will let us know pretty quick.

As the animal experts have explained -- the cattle can adapt to extreme weather. I suspect that the historical data you presented --- being in August -- the cattle would have been exposed to high temps prior to that period. They would have probably had summer like temps -- not necessarily record breaking but hot for some time and the cattle easily adapted.

The animal experts said it was the sudden shift from moderate to extreme heat. I should add the animal experts who are on site examining the cattle.
https://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...205%3A08%20p.m.

Last week, temperatures were in the 70s and 80s, but on Saturday they spiked higher than 100 degrees, said Scarlett Hagins, spokeswoman for the Kansas Livestock Association.

“And it was that sudden change that didn't allow the cattle to acclimate that caused the heat stress issues in them,” she said.
Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies