Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 07:34 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,752,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolceVita67 View Post
Paxlovid just “freezes” the viral replication process in your cells in time by inhibiting an enzyme vital for protein intercellular assembly.

It does not “kill” the virus or “clear” the virus though some scientists are currently looking into how long the virus can survive in a “suspended” state.

This means once you stop taking Paxlovid, the assembly process begins again and this is the reason for Paxlovid “rebound.”

In unvaccinated individuals, they will make substantial NP antibodies which can actually go into cells and clear out the virus. So arresting the viral replication process could give their body time to “catch up.”

Vaccinated individuals have blueprinted immune responses to the S/S Antibodies (this is called Original Antigen Sin) so they will make far less NP antibodies on exposure to the virus. S Antibodies cannot enter the cell, so there is no hope of viral clearance while in the arrested state.

I would not however recommend even the high-risk unvaccinated take Paxlovid until there is more evidence of it working. The only evidence so far are studies done by Pfizer. Call me skeptical, when the manufacturer grades itself and says it passed with flying colors!

106 fever is probably an exaggeration or inaccurate reading as this is technically getting into a medical emergency- Hyperpyrexia
I thought it was odd for a doctor to send an adult patient home taking Tylenol with 106 fever and not hospitalize him, so you might be correct about the inaccuracy or the person who told me was wrong about the number. Thanks to all for responding and sharing your knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 07:41 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
How does someone else wearing a mask negatively affect you? Why would you even care whether someone else wears a mask?
Because mass mental illness effects everyone. And it’s not like we don’t already have a mountain of evidence of masked morons running around demanding that everyone else needs to be required to wear them too.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:46 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Because mass mental illness effects everyone. And it’s not like we don’t already have a mountain of evidence of masked morons running around demanding that everyone else needs to be required to wear them too.
Some people with certain autoimmune diseases have needed to wear them for years. Even a cold could kill them.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:49 AM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
How does someone else wearing a mask negatively affect you? Why would you even care whether someone else wears a mask?
If others want to be stupid and superstitious, although I may find them annoying, have at it. It's a free country. That sentiment breaks down when they try to force me to be stupid as well. Essentially, you are free to wear a dunce cap. But if you are trying to force me to wear one, then we have a problem.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:18 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I thought it was odd for a doctor to send an adult patient home taking Tylenol with 106 fever and not hospitalize him, so you might be correct about the inaccuracy or the person who told me was wrong about the number. Thanks to all for responding and sharing your knowledge.
It would be highly unlikely that the patient was discharged with such a high fever. More than likely it came down enough with conservative management before discharge. If the patient is low risk and feeling well, looks OK clinically and labs not alarming, then discharge with close follow up may be safe enough. As a medical resident I once admitted an ER patient with a 108 temp. He did not look so bad, but that number was just too alarming for me. He was discharged the next day.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It would be highly unlikely that the patient was discharged with such a high fever. More than likely it came down enough with conservative management before discharge. If the patient is low risk and feeling well, looks OK clinically and labs not alarming, then discharge with close follow up may be safe enough. As a medical resident I once admitted an ER patient with a 108 temp. He did not look so bad, but that number was just too alarming for me. He was discharged the next day.
But to be honest, every medical class has someone who finished at the bottom.

Old 06-26-2022, 11:49 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
But to be honest, every medical class has someone who finished at the bottom.
The doctors that finished at the bottom of the class end up in Bakersfield, or Billings, or some other remote place.

Old 06-26-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The doctors that finished at the bottom of the class end up in Bakersfield, or Billings, or some other remote place.
We get a bunch of them here. I could tell you horror stories of botched care.

Old 06-27-2022, 05:11 AM

FDA meeting tomorrow, Novavax invited and looking for vaccine approval:

Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee June 28, 2022 Meeting Briefing Document- FDA

1. Make no recommendation –
2. Recommend that all vaccines used for both primary series and booster doses retain current composition (i.e., Wuhan Spike based)
3. Recommend that the composition of all vaccines used for booster doses be updated to contain an Omicron component that has been tested clinically (e.g., BA.1)
4. Recommend that the composition of all vaccines used for booster doses be updated to contain a more recent Omicron component (e.g., BA.2, BA.2.12.1, BA.4/ BA.5) without clinical evidence, based upon clinical data from studies with other candidate vaccine
5. Recommend that the composition of all COVID vaccines used for both primary series and booster doses be updated to contain an Omicron component (BA.1 OR BA.2, BA.2.12.1, BA.4/ BA.5)
6. Recommend that the composition of some vaccines used for booster doses be updated to contain something other than an Omicron component (e.g., Beta variant vaccine

Old 07-01-2022, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Yesterday my vaccinated friend left work with a 106 fever, went to Urgent Care, tested negative for covid, is isolating anyway, he has twin babies. The doctor told him to take Tylenol and Ibuprofen, the fever has come down somewhat. Could the covid test be a false negative?
Turns out my friend tested again, positive for covid, it went through his family, wife, 8 year son, and their twin babies, parents had all their shots, children didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies