Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2022, 10:29 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And yet, we've had two presidents in my lifetime who were raised by single mothers.

Children need unconditional love to grow and mature. Where they get it, whether from fathers, mothers, or a combination of the two, is of less than no importance.
Actually in reality the lack of a father is highly correlated with problems about boundaries. Both Obama and Clinton suffered from this. It is innate and when dad is gone, it is very hard to replace.

Men are irreplaceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2022, 10:37 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
This is slightly off-topic, but my 22-year-old daughter is now working at my company. Since we have been allowed to return to work, I work from the office once every 2-to 3 weeks just to get out of the house. When I am in the office, we have lunch together.

I walked her back to her classroom and her supervisor stepped out to chat. He asked me, "How did you get you're daughter to like you"? I laughed but he was serious. He said that his daughters are standoffish to him and don't act like they want to be around him but my daughter acts as if she adores me. It was a hell of a compliment.

I don't know of a single thing that I've done to "get" my daughter to like me. It's just that being an engaged father has been the greatest joy of my life. I love being a Dad. I don't know how anyone could have a child and not be engaged in their life.
Same here!

Old 06-17-2022, 10:48 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Ideally, yes, it would be great to have two-parent households, parents who both love their children and each other. However, there are way too many households who have fathers who are there in name only, who either abuse their children, or cause such turmoil because they themselves are unhappy. I used to ask my mom why she didn't leave my dad because they fought all the time. The only times we were happy in our home was when he was at work. Sometimes having fathers at home isn't always for the best.
That largely describes the upbringing I had, until my father left home in my early teens. My upbringing was not great by any stretch, and to top it off there were plenty of "men" (teachers, guidance counselors, extended family) who could have stepped in and helped out a young man who could have used it, but they didn't.

That, however, didn't stop me from being a good father myself. I'm not going to let my father's lack of ability to be a parent interfere with mine. We can either learn from our parents and do better, or repeat their mistakes, so frankly this conversation needs to be had and had often, and it needs to be heard loud and clear that just because there are deadbeat dads out there doesn't mean that it has to be a pattern that repeats through the generations. When you're a parent, life is not about you anymore, I think that scares some people, but they don't realize that being involved in raising another human being is one of the most meaningful things they can do, if they can put themselves aside and focus on what's truly important.

People can do better, they just have to choose to.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:53 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Guess all these years later, Dan Quayle has been proven that he was right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

As our country commemorates Father’s Day this weekend, it is important that we recognize the millions of children throughout our nation who are growing up without their fathers. Data from the United States Census Bureau shows that nearly 18.5 million children grow up without their fathers, which has in return led to the United States owning the title of the world’s leader in fatherlessness.

We know that fatherhood is essential to the development of our children and that the increased involvement of fathers in the home leads to better results on a wide variety of outcomes. From economic prosperity, increased academic performance, to improved social mobility; fathers in their respective homes continues to be a key indicator of success for all children across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups. That is why we have joined forces to introduce a resolution into the U.S. House of Representatives that promotes fatherhood and its proven benefit to society.

[url]https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/america-crisis-fathers[/url]
When reading the above, I find myself thinking about my grandmother, whose father died of typhoid when she was still a toddler, and my dad, whose father died of cancer when my dad was an infant. The women in my family tree came together to support each other and help to raise each other's children. Nobody criticized my grandmother's and g-grandmother's efforts or found their children less than because there were no fathers in the picture. All of their kids did very well in life. That's not to say that I don't adore my own dad, who has been the best father anyone could ask for, but women can and do raise children successfully on their own.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:01 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Ideally, yes, it would be great to have two-parent households, parents who both love their children and each other. However, there are way too many households who have fathers who are there in name only, who either abuse their children, or cause such turmoil because they themselves are unhappy.
So, there's a crisis in this country with grownups who don't know how to behave like adults?

Old 06-17-2022, 11:06 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm surprised so many men support the notion that men are to blame for our problems.
Other men. Not themselves or the group they see themselves as belonging to. Y'know - those who fail are inner-city. Urban. The sort to celebrate Juneteenth. There's a very strict separation between the ones who fail and those who don't - you can almost say that they see the issue in black and white.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:08 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazKaz View Post
LMAO, what?

Ok, I see where this thread is going.
Right? The dog whistles have long since been replaced with foghorns around here.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:08 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Gen Y never spent that much time with fathers anyways. They were in school, and many fathers worked weekends.

I for one was influenced very little by my parents. I am nothing like them.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:21 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
So-o.....is there some secret to doing it right with Brats......or do we fail there, too?
Um, what???

Old 06-17-2022, 11:26 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Um, what???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_brat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies