Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 08:09 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YonkStonk View Post
The Buffalo shooter, Christichurch shooter, Synagogue shooter, and the Charleston Church shooter have all entered the chat.
You need to take a break and simmer down. You're starting to come across as unhinged over the R vs W ruling.

And for heaven's sake stay away form any incendiary devices for you own good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 08:17 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,579,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't advocate violence, I respect the law and the police, but...
Sometimes people can be very upset when they have a right stripped away from them...
And when they feel the Government has tried to usurp power from them in their own personal lives to make personal decisions regarding their health and personal lives.
Because everyone knows that some Politician is better at deciding what is best for you, and determining the life you live, than you are. Ultimate nanny state and all that.

Nobody likes losing a right, nobody likes being told what to do, especially to this extent.
The Government has grown too big, and thinks it can tell people how to live their lives.
Government overreach is something that can inspire strong reactions in people.
Especially when they feel they have lost some autonomy and some freedom.

Yes, like when the federal government tried to implement vaccine mandates. People protested peacefully and it was shot down by the SC. The mandates were unconstitutional as was federal position on abortion previously. Another similarity? The constitution won out in both cases.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:19 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,579,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not quite!

Remember that Rosa Parks was BREAKING the law when she refused to move seats, she is even remembered for saying, "it is the duty of citizens to break unjust laws".

And we honor and celebrate her and others like her today, (but at the time, they were viewed as criminals).

Something to keep in mind!

I have trouble when people try to compare not giving up your seat with torching business' and federal/police buildings. But that's just me.

Old 06-27-2022, 08:20 AM

1,742 posts, read 959,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not quite!

Remember that Rosa Parks was BREAKING the law when she refused to move seats, she is even remembered for saying, "it is the duty of citizens to break unjust laws".

And we honor and celebrate her and others like her today, (but at the time, they were viewed as criminals).

Something to keep in mind!
Rosa Parks might have broken the law, but her protest ( by refusing to change seats), was entirely peaceful. The original question was- when did peaceful protests ever result in change? I gave several well known examples.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:02 PM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
And the violence continues on. What is laughable, is these dolts are marching like abortion was completely banned. Talk about misguided anger. No wonder our society is coming unglued...to many idiots.

https://youtu.be/b0gkLtNsGKI

Old 06-27-2022, 01:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,017,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I have trouble when people try to compare not giving up your seat with torching business' and federal/police buildings. But that's just me.
Or blowing up or setting fire to clinics.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:27 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady
I don't advocate violence, I respect the law and the police, but...
Sometimes people can be very upset when they have a right stripped away from them...
And when they feel the Government has tried to usurp power from them in their own personal lives to make personal decisions regarding their health and personal lives.
Because everyone knows that some Politician is better at deciding what is best for you, and determining the life you live, than you are. Ultimate nanny state and all that.

Nobody likes losing a right, nobody likes being told what to do, especially to this extent.
The Government has grown too big, and thinks it can tell people how to live their lives.
Government overreach is something that can inspire strong reactions in people.
Especially when they feel they have lost some autonomy and some freedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Nobody likes being told what to do....

Do you mean like..... get this experimental vaccine or lose your job?

Spare me your outrage.
Spare me yours.
I didn't advocate mandatory vaccines by the Government. Never did.
(Although I believe it was the wise, sane thing to do...and to get all this behind us).
Private employers can have stipulations like this (this is not the same as the Government doing it)
Covid cost them a fortune. I can see why they might want to protect their employees and customers.
Surely, you are not against Capitalism.
And obviously you are not a woman...pregnancy entails a lot more than just a shot in the arm....
it is nine long months, and after that a whole other 21 years or so....lets be honest, it involves the rest of someone's life. It can cost them there education, career outcome, life outcome and it can cost them
the moral support of their family.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 06-27-2022 at 10:37 PM..

Old 06-27-2022, 10:36 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,115,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And the violence continues on. What is laughable, is these dolts are marching like abortion was completely banned. Talk about misguided anger. No wonder our society is coming unglued...to many idiots.

https://youtu.be/b0gkLtNsGKI

Certain politicians like Pence, are already calling for a Federal band on Abortions across the entire country.

Rich women, middle class women will still be able to travel to New York or LA or Toronto to get an abortion. But poor women will not be able to afford to do that.
This has been settled law for 50 years. People don't like it when you take away rights and freedom from them.
I guess you think some Politician know whats best for your life, and should make your decisions regarding your future and fate, better than you could. I don't.
That is not Free. It is not America.
It is like we have stepped into a time machine and went back to the 1950's.
Maybe some people like that. I do not, and many do not.

And if they can so easily take away one right, they can take away any right.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:27 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Certain politicians like Pence, are already calling for a Federal band on Abortions across the entire country.

Rich women, middle class women will still be able to travel to New York or LA or Toronto to get an abortion. But poor women will not be able to afford to do that.
This has been settled law for 50 years. People don't like it when you take away rights and freedom from them.
I guess you think some Politician know whats best for your life, and should make your decisions regarding your future and fate, better than you could. I don't.

Yeah, so ? The states would over ride that any way. Just like the marijuana laws. It's illegal at the Fed level, but legal in 19 states currently.

And this is where you are wrong. At the moment, how much influence does your vote make when it comes to the SCOTUS ? Pretty much zilch. Now how much influence does your vote have at the state level ? Much more. Now, with the states in control, you have more of a say.

That being said, I personally don't think the government, either at the Fed level or State level should be involved with this.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:58 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:

A federally mandated nationwide ban on abortions would violate the 10th Amendment......oh wait, the pro-choice crowd hates the 10th Amendment. Such a conundrum. What to do?

For what seems like the millionth time:
SCOTUS overturning Roe v Wade is not an abortion ban. Do you understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies