Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 01:26 PM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
If people had to write a check every month for their tax liability, I bet a lot of government overreach would go away. People would refuse to support anything that would cause their taxes to be increased.
Aha! You just uncovered my endgame. Same goes for payroll taxes like Social Security, Medicare, State unemployent, federal unemployment.

If all of this were to be placed on a national ballot, we'd win every one of them.

If every taxpayer had to write a check montly, we wouldnt be giving $50B to Ukraine either....just to mention 1.

I could reduce the feds budget by 80% w/in 8 years if I could get all of these things onto national ballot referendums. Trillions would flow back into the private sector...we'd have a 20-year run like no other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2022, 01:27 PM

1,213 posts, read 567,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So much for States’ Rights.
It’s not a states right to have. Immigration is a federal issue.
These people should not be here in the first place.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:27 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
As we have just been reminded...SCOTUS rulings can be overturned.

Its time to revisit many more past rulings...like:

-Obamacare its been revisited 3x, & upheld, but since the mandate penalty tax is now gone, that nullifies the law. Roberts only ruled it constitutional due to it being a tax...which its not.

-Social Security https://www.ssa.gov/history/court.html It was deemed unconstitutional for months until Roosevelt threatened to pack the court, & bullied the SCOTUS to allow it.

-Federal Withholding - the feds have a constitutional right to tax, but not to deduct it from each paycheck.

There are many more past rulings that could easily be overturned, so I hope this is just the beginning. Fed overreach is costing us all too much, & its unsustainable. Gov't now takes ~50% of GDP & climbing, whereas in 1930 it took just 10%. The chart below depicts big gov't overreach, & its costs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...ending_GDP.png

*This chart is through 2018 and doesn't include Trillions in stimulus Trump & Biden added.

Gov't expanded their role unconstitutionally, & the only peaceful & legal ways to reverse this is through the SCOTUS, and/or a Convention of States. It should be obvious to us all that DC isn't going to do it willingly. Both parties are on the same team, & we are their opponents, when it comes to spending. We must stop losig to them.
Lets start with marriage. Overturn federally protected same sex and interracial marriages. That should get the ball rolling.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:31 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,799,958 times
I think States should not be allowed to get more in Federal funding than the amount of Federal taxes paid by residents of the State. No more subsidies from taxpayers in other States. If we’re going to decouple Federal and State, let’s start there.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:37 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Is that Back of the Bus?
You’re overreacting. After all, the back of the bus is separate, but equal /sarcasm

Old 06-27-2022, 01:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
You’re overreacting. After all, the back of the bus is separate, but equal /sarcasm
That depends on which end you are assigned to sit....

Old 06-27-2022, 01:44 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,618,313 times
My hit list:

Kelo v New London (2005) - staggering violation of the 5th Amendment, always pure awful.

Grutter v Bollinger (2003) - staggering violation of the 14th Amendment and the Civil Rights Act (like every other affirmative action law), and O'Connor's written opinion might be top 5 worst ever written by the SCOTUS.

Smith v Maryland (1979) - staggering, epic, absurd violation of the 4th Amendment.

And of course....

National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius (2012) - because Chief Justice Roberts allowed the federal government to force private citizens to purchase a specific product in the private market under penalty of law.

Those are my top four decisions that could use a "revisit."

Old 06-27-2022, 01:45 PM

33,327 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
As we have just been reminded...SCOTUS rulings can be overturned.

Its time to revisit many more past rulings...like:

-Obamacare its been revisited 3x, & upheld, but since the mandate penalty tax is now gone, that nullifies the law. Roberts only ruled it constitutional due to it being a tax...which its not.

-Social Security https://www.ssa.gov/history/court.html It was deemed unconstitutional for months until Roosevelt threatened to pack the court, & bullied the SCOTUS to allow it.

-Federal Withholding - the feds have a constitutional right to tax, but not to deduct it from each paycheck.

There are many more past rulings that could easily be overturned, so I hope this is just the beginning. Fed overreach is costing us all too much, & its unsustainable. Gov't now takes ~50% of GDP & climbing, whereas in 1930 it took just 10%. The chart below depicts big gov't overreach, & its costs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...ending_GDP.png

*This chart is through 2018 and doesn't include Trillions in stimulus Trump & Biden added.

Gov't expanded their role unconstitutionally, & the only peaceful & legal ways to reverse this is through the SCOTUS, and/or a Convention of States. It should be obvious to us all that DC isn't going to do it willingly. Both parties are on the same team, & we are their opponents, when it comes to spending. We must stop losig to them.

No, the federal penalty has been reduced to $0, which isn't the same thing:

https://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare...their-own-fee/

Old 06-27-2022, 01:47 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Oh God, I pray you’re stupid enough to try and end Social Security and take away 30 million peoples healthcare. Then the Democrats can have a shot at getting enough Senate seats to remove the traitors husband and the 3 joke Trump Justices
So you approve of working people forcefully paying into a system in which (only speaking in regards to people physically able to work) did not contribute equally get an equal share?

I'm fine with ending social security. Give me my money back and I'll invest it myself. I'm also fine with having people fund their own healthcare. My only exception are for those who are truly handicapped and actually need the assistance. What I don't want to fund are those who have figured out how to game the system.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:48 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Quote:
Aha! You just uncovered my endgame. Same goes for payroll taxes like Social Security, Medicare, State unemployent, federal unemployment.

If all of this were to be placed on a national ballot, we'd win every one of them.

If every taxpayer had to write a check montly, we wouldnt be giving $50B to Ukraine either....just to mention 1.

I could reduce the feds budget by 80% w/in 8 years if I could get all of these things onto national ballot referendums. Trillions would flow back into the private sector...we'd have a 20-year run like no other.
I’d vote for that, in exchange for the following policy:
1) On every pay stub, every company must display the profit per employee for that pay period.
2) The dollar value of #1 must be added to the value of the paycheck and displayed on a separate line, along with the following statement: “this is how much money you would have made this period if the company paid you for the full value of your labor.”

I’d also accept the following option:
1) Calculate the total value of the person’s labor, which is simply the value of the paycheck plus the profit per employee for that pay period.
2) Then show the profit per employee for that pay period as a deduction or tax.

That way, employees can see how much of their labor value is captured (or “taxed”) by their employers.

Deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies