Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do women need to take more responsiblity for their sexual health?
Yes 192 75.29%
No 59 23.14%
Not Sure 4 1.57%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 09:05 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Statistics: 630,000 to 930,000 abortions per year (which is a decrease from previous years) or 11-14 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44.

Keep in mind these are only unplanned (unwanted) pregnancies that are aborted. Statistics indicate that 45% of all pregnancies are unplanned. Many, maybe even most women who experience an unplanned pregnancy choose to continue the pregnancy.

Really, 45% of all pregnancies are due to ineffective BC. Ineffectiveness could be skipped pills, not getting refills in a timely manner, missing appointments for long term BC, slipped diaphragm or IUD, slipped, broken condoms or not wearing condoms correctly. 45% is a lot.
That's an extremely faulty conclusion. Of the 45% of all pregnancies that were unintended, only 5% are due to actual failure of consistently used birth control, for whatever reason. 5% of 45% is 2.25%. Thus, only 2.25% of all pregnancies are due to ineffective birth control.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:09 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Like I said, I am not against abortion, but using failed birth control to justify abortion is a weak and absurd argument.

Abortion is an invasive medical procedure, first of all. If pregnancy must be avoided, then use the combination of two birth control methods. There is also morning after pill.

The reason I support abortion is because I care,about women's safety. The women who want an abortion will get it, so I would rather give them a safe environment to do so, but failed birth control is a weak argument.

Many people in their 60s get std simply because they no longer practice safe sex.

Young girls need to be taught safe sex, they should never be taught, accident happens, there is abortion.
Well BC fails and people are fallible.
People should not be suffering high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, for becoming obese by not eating a healthy diet and getting exercise, but people are fallible.
People should not be getting cancer from smoking, but people are fallible.
People should not be dying, killing others due to alcohol/drug addiction, but people are fallible.
We all know certain behaviors can have unwanted consequences and we all have the knowledge and tools at our disposal to prevent these unwanted consequences.

Why should anyone have to justify having an abortion?
Should we have to justify taking meds for diabetes?
Justify rehab for addiction?
Justify chemo for lung cancer treatment?

Most abortions now are medical abortions, not surgical ones.

I did hear of many seniors in nursing homes having STD a few years back. I think the increase in STDs among senior is ED meds and dating. I'd bet 60+ married couples arent the ones getting STDs.

I have never heard of young girls being taught accidents happen, just get an abortion.
IME, schools have a yearly sex ed course for both girls and boys. Boys need to be taught safe sex as much as girls. I do believe these courses should be more detailed as far as forms of BC, their safety and effectiveness and how and where to get them, age appropriate of course.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'd be interested to see the gender divide of who answered yes and no to this question.
It's mostly women who are saying women don't need to take more responsibility for their sexual health in this thread. As a woman myself, I strongly disagree. Women are failing at a colossal level to be responsible with/for their own reproductive health. 82% of abortions are due to women using abortion as their sole method of birth control (read my earlier post on this that gives the stats). That's appalling. Can't women do any better than that?

Old 07-29-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's an extremely faulty conclusion. Of the 45% of all pregnancies that were unintended, only 5% are due to actual failure of consistently used birth control, for whatever reason. 5% of 45% is 2.25%. Thus, only 2.25% of all pregnancies are due to ineffective birth control.
All unintended pregnancies are due to ineffective birth control.
If BC were effective there would be 0% unintended pregnancies.

Quote:
In 2008, women reported that more than half of all pregnancies (51%) were unintended. By 2011, the percentage of unintended pregnancies declined to 45%. That is an improvement, but some groups still tend to have higher rates of unintended pregnancy. For example, 75% of pregnancies were unintended among teens aged 15 to 19 years. Unintended pregnancy rates per 1,000 women were highest among women who:

Were aged 18 to 24 years.
Had low income (<100% of federal poverty level).
Had not completed high school.
Were non-Hispanic black or African American.
Were cohabiting but had never married.
link: https://www.cdc.gov/reproductiveheal...ancy/index.htm

Old 07-29-2022, 09:14 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's mostly women who are saying women don't need to take more responsibility for their sexual health in this thread. As a woman myself, I strongly disagree. Women are failing at a colossal level to be responsible with/for their own reproductive health. 82% of abortions are due to women using abortion as their sole method of birth control (read my earlier post on this that gives the stats). That's appalling. Can't women do any better than that?
Agreed.

I think women should also face a harsh reality that we are not men. The unwanted fetus will grow in our body, not men's. That is why we should do more to protect ourselves. Plus, abortion is an invasive medical procedure carries risks. Women have to endure this invasive medical procedure, not men.

Starting with practice safe sex with responsible men.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:16 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Real life is real life. Stuff happens. Expecting everybody to be perfect every time is just plain foolish
Not expecting both parties to use birth control is foolish. Very simple to use birth control properly, and it’s called being responsible.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I'd be interested to see the gender divide of who answered yes and no to this question.
I'm sure more women say no and more men yes. Many men and some women dont believe men have any responsibility for sexual health i.e. birth control.
The ironic thing is personal responsibility for sexual health is being taking out of women's hands.
Abortion restriction.
Closing PP clinics and womens health clinics.
Plans for limiting certain forms of BC.

I think the question should be do men need to take more responsibility for their sexual health i.e. birth control.
Why are men not lobbying for the male BC pill and injections?
It took 6 years from working on the pill, clinical trials to approval for women.
It has been a couple decades already since working on the male contraceptives and clinical trials. Still no approval.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
All unintended pregnancies are due to ineffective birth control.
You're just flat out wrong. That directly contradicts Guttmacher's stats that only 5% of women with unintended pregnancies report that they and their partners used birth control consistently.

Quote:
If BC were effective there would be 0% unintended pregnancies.
That's where you're making your mistake. Not every woman (or her partner) who doesn't want to get pregnant uses birth control. As explained to you many times, only 5% of women (or their partners) with unintended pregnancies use birth control consistently.

I've posted this MANY times...

Girls/Women with Unintended Pregnancies:

Consistent use of birth control: 5%

Source: Guttmacher (Planned parenthood's research subsidiary). Figure 1.3, here: https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/def...lth-reform.pdf

Old 07-29-2022, 09:38 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
And yet the fertility rate continues to decline ... so what's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingsToValhalla View Post
As a man, I really do not understand why or how women are still "accidentally" getting pregnant in the 21st century. It makes zero sense.

-You have condoms.
-You have a variety of contraception and birth control options.
-You have the pull-out method.
-You have oral and manual stimulation options.
-A woman can track her menstrual cycle and avoid vaginal intercourse on the days she is fertile.

None of this is rocket science.

So why are women still "accidentally" getting pregnant?
Are they idiots? Irresponsible?
Did their birth control some how fail?

What's going on?

"In a study of sexual trends in the United States, researchers at the University of Utah found that promiscuity is rising for women and declining for men. The number of women who've had sex with more than 15 partners has increased over the past few decades, from 3 percent to 7 percent.
The opposite is true of men, who are having sex with fewer partners than they did in previous years, the researchers said."
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...-sexually.html

Old 07-29-2022, 09:58 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I don't think straight men, including those who preach on the topic, would be very happy if women en masse actually did decide to only have sex with men when they wanted to conceive a child and stuck to this strictly.

I think those who are preaching this feel they can have their cake and eat it too - they have all the smugness of taking a high moral position, and since the vast majority of women aren't obeying them about it, they can still get laid. But before galloping off on that high horse, they should really have a look at what their own scripture says will happen to hypocrites.
Women tend to want the men all other women want so if women ended up only having sex with men they wanted to conceive with, the vast majority would end up single mothers. They all want to lock down the high status man who naturally has the playful, take charge, gives no bleeps personality that naturally attracts women biologically.

There's that saying that they'd rather share an alpha than have a beta to themselves, and from a biological standpoint it's largely true. Some of them as they get older realize this becomes a problem so they teach themselves to broaden their palate to include more responsible, less emotionally stimulating men , but they tend to never really be turned in on the same way they are for the "bad boy." Don't be mad about it, it's just evolution.

You are right though, a lot of these men make these statements because they know they don't have the practiced personality or good looks to make a woman wet and fall for him hard. It's more jealousy than actual principles. A lot of lefties were like this during covid when they saw righties out having fun with no masks on while they were stuck in their matrix of government propagated fear. It takes more than looks though... it's really about confidence in oneself.. projecting an aura of being in charge and the ability to take charge. Conquering one's lower emotions is naturally attractive to anyone... fear, jealousy, anger, judgment, insecurity, are generally not attractive emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies