Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 04:40 AM

7,004 posts, read 2,719,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
At least the homeless can barter for something now.
Time to dump millions from welfare now that they have a means of supporting themselves.

Last edited by Annandale_Man; 07-02-2022 at 06:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2022, 04:49 AM

1,212 posts, read 735,185 times
In general, prosecutions for intent should have very high standards.

A Supreme Court justice has said that travel for abortions can't be illegal. So that viewpoint weakens prosecution of intent to commit a state crime.

Of course dozens of college students have been prosecuted for intent to commit terrorism. But they had no previous logistical intent but only an agreement to help an undercover police officer that was pretending to be a logistically supported terrorist. Well, consider the movie "Edge of Darkness" where activists are considered to be terrorists.

With suspected intent not having any beginning core logistical intent then there is no probable-cause for investigating the suspects in the first place. There is no probable-cause to justify the undercover police operation

Last edited by T Block; 07-02-2022 at 05:08 AM..

Old 07-02-2022, 04:58 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,305,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Effectively legalizes prostitution. Thoughts?
This is what happens when you have one party rule. There is no one to inject balance into a bill.

This bill will not legalize prostitution, which I might actually be in favor of as a libertarian leaning person, because then you could get prostitutes off the street, get them regularly tested for STDs, keep them away from abusive pimps and regulate health conditions.

My problem is that the bill is going to have the exact opposite effect it is intended to have. It is going to make the streets more dangerous for sex workers, it is going to increase sex trafficking, already a huge problem in CA, lead to more deaths among sex workers.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:04 AM

10,118 posts, read 7,788,407 times
Since hookers, drug dealers, those commiting domestic violence and all other criminals are no longer getting arrested, what's left?! Go to California to commit your crimes freely and out in the open.

Soon with Dems in office, and with 2 and a half more years of chaos and destruction, there will be no law and order anywhere. I find it sad.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:10 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,305,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
People are just tired of being controlled by religion.
You betcha buddy! Let's get rid of all those stupid religious rules like Thou Shalt Not Kill, Thou Shalt Not Steal and Thou Shalt Not Lie Under Oath. That'll fix everything!

Old 07-02-2022, 05:36 AM

59,170 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Effectively legalizes prostitution. Thoughts?

https://ktla.com/news/california/cal...-prostitution/
IMO, goes with their position, "women have right to do with their body as they please"

I never did understand prostitution being outlawed for adults.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:37 AM

491 posts, read 396,293 times
I've had to arrest prostitutes as well as their johns. Did 10 years in uniform before realizing I needed to go into another direction with my life. But allow this to happen and then see how you feel when they are hooking up in cars in your neighborhood. In alleys next to where you live. In parks where you or your kids may walk through. It is not always happening at night so you cannot say "my kids will never be out there when it is happening" as you just don't know. I was never assigned to vice and I knew vice officers who hated that part of the job but they were doing this in response to complaints from those living in the areas and who knew their quality of life was severely being changed. No easy answer here but to just say it should all be legal is going a little too far if certain restrictions are not put into place.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:09 AM

7,004 posts, read 2,719,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
IMO, goes with their position, "women have right to do with their body as they please"

I never did understand prostitution being outlawed for adults.
Some women are slaves and being sold by the hour against their will. It needs to be regulated, not banned.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,624,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Some women are slaves and being sold by the hour against their will. It needs to be regulated, not banned.
Isnt it amazing how the concern over

'human trafficking victims' is a fairly new thing?! LOL

15 yrs ago, no one even used the word 'human trafficking'!

Imo, that is just a modern reason to keep a very old (religious law) on the books and aggressively enforced. If you told citizens today that police will enforce laws on prostitution, (because its sinful and immoral)...NO ONE would tolerate that...but if you told them the laws were being enforced to save human trafficking victims...that is something most people would support.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:24 AM

24,664 posts, read 9,487,472 times
It’s pretty absurd how prostitution has ever been illegal.

The entire aspect is unenforceable without a sting operation. We’re not talking about brothels, we’re talking about two consenting adults making a mutually beneficial transaction in the privacy of a bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies