Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 05:27 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Funny; no one replied, pro or con, to my comment about strip mining and coal gassification.
sorry arizonabear, cookies are on the way. relevent post but many of the posters to this thread seem to only want to address SUPPLY side of this issue. that was addressed by reagan (encouraged the saudis to boost production)and it was a temporary fix. like wise any measures to increase local production will be a temporary fix

i just can't believe after the pain of the oil embargo that we learned nothing! i can't really understand why everyone is so reluctant to want to address excessive consumption. fair enough, there are people out there who have 10 year old, paid for SUVs. i agree that it makes no sense to change to a prius but at least try to drive less, maybe walk, take the bus or cycle (if you can). catch a ride with your pals, drive a little slower etc.

the SUV isn't the only thing to blame but it has become a symbol of our abuse of precious resources
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 06:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
considering the ANWR has about 500 days worth of oil at our consumption rate, I seriously doubt any drilling would do anything other than screw up yet another pristine environment for many generations to come.

But that is pulling 27.1 millon barrels a day. Not quite realistic;I thnik. Using that logic we would have gonwe after the first barels of oil in alaska and certainly shouldn't go after the deep gulf oil. In the end you realy can't gripe about tohers charging high prices for crude because they should be compnsated for environmantal damge by your theory.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,252,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
well suvs do suck
No, they don't

Old 05-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Then we will see how much they "need" their SUVs.
I'd love to see a Yaris or Honda Civic pull a 9,000 / 10,000 pound load - like a boat or RV

Old 05-25-2008, 09:37 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,508,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'd love to see a Yaris or Honda Civic pull a 9,000 / 10,000 pound load - like a boat or RV
That warrants renting an SUV but not buying one and using it as a daily driver. Call Avis they will pick you up.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
That warrants renting an SUV but not buying one and using it as a daily driver. Call Avis they will pick you up.
Not when you use it every week. Besides - much better comfort driving a large SUV than a Yaris

OBTW: Avis DOES NOT pick you up -

Old 05-25-2008, 09:52 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Oh, your statements are a tad bit melodramatic, no?

I've never owned an SUV - although I've been tempted. We have a different car culture here. It's not like Europe with their little fast cars - Europe has had high gas prices for many years now, so they are naturally inclined to stay away from big SUVs. We've had the luxury of low gas prices so it's literally allowed people to not take day-to-day cost into consideration. Now that gas is $4/gallon... you'll see those "traitors" as you call them switch to gas sippers....
Melodramatic, yea!

Been reading too many globaloney warming screeds IMHO.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Probably not.
But they will haul a few boxes of granola and a sack or two of sprouts with the best of 'em.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Default Oh... if it were only so easy...

Quote:
Standard Rental Policy does not allow for trailer towing unless you are renting a truck...

Some Rental Companies, like U-Hual restrict the type of vehicle that can tow one of their trailers...

If you regularly tow... you need to own the vehicle. How else can you be certain the lighting and trailer brake controller is compatible?

Old 05-26-2008, 01:55 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Melodramatic, yea!

Been reading too many globaloney warming screeds IMHO.
where did i mention global warming? i kinda addressed this in post #9. evidently you missed that. really pisses me off that people bring that up! if you want to see what my opinion on global warming is go to my posts on global warming.

in this thread i try to address what wasteful, excessive consumption is doing to our economy. there are many ways in which westerners(first world countries) are wasteful. imho, suvs are most representative of that wastefulness.

but if you want to drag me down the environmental path, what concerns me most is deforestation, urban sprawl etc. i like to take my daughter hiking in the wilderness and i'm frightened to death that the powers that be will turn every last bit of wild country into biodiesel farms so that we can cling foolishly to our suv habit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies