Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 06:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Why does anyone need a car for work?

Why do people have to go to work at all?

Hey, there's an idea - everyone simply quit work - reduces the need for driving - thereby reduces the amount of oil needs -

Yeah - stop working everyone - NOW!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Hey, there's an idea - everyone simply quit work - reduces the need for driving - thereby reduces the amount of oil needs -

Fine with me, but good point.

What do you tell the Plumber who has to haul all his tools and parts. The builders who have dry wall, lumber, etc.. Are there soccer moms out there who have one kid and dont need an SUV, hell yea I get stuck behind one every morning going to or coming home from work. However, I have my SUV because I need the space for hauling stuff. I saved money on gas when I moved cause I used my Jeep instead of Renting some big U HAUL.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
Fine with me, but good point.

What do you tell the Plumber who has to haul all his tools and parts. The builders who have dry wall, lumber, etc.. Are there soccer moms out there who have one kid and dont need an SUV, hell yea I get stuck behind one every morning going to or coming home from work. However, I have my SUV because I need the space for hauling stuff. I saved money on gas when I moved cause I used my Jeep instead of Renting some big U HAUL.
Remember, when you see that "soccer mom" by herself or whoever in a large SUV all by their lonesome you have NO IDEA where they have been, what they might have been hauling or how many people or that they could be headed to pick up such things/people that require a large vehicle.

BTW, this is not directed at you just using the comment about being behind a "soccer mom" all by themselves in an SUV so that people understand they have NO CLUE why someone needs or uses such vehicles.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I think that people who drive cars with low MPG are fools...be they SUV or sports car drivers, but I wonder why anyone 'needs' an SUV for work?
Come ride w/ me for 1 day. You will see REALLY FAST why some people NEED an SUV for work. Otherwise, next time I have to deliver something to a customer before they have to shutdown a production line and all of my BIG trucks are out it will HAVE to be shutdown and I'll charge a DOUBLE DELIVERY FEE as I'd have to make more than 1 trip to break something down in order to get it to them. Try hauling a large piece of machinery in the back of a Fusion or such. Won't fit and it will make the bumper drag the ground. OR if it is something that is an "inhaliation hazard" and is REQUIRED by federal law to be in an "OPEN AREA" one NEEDS and MUST have a pickup truck to haul such.

Must be nice to have an easy office job Go find out how your company exists. Do they make and manufacturer something? Do they transport goods? There are MANY, MANY industries that would not survive one hour w/o having large vehicles be it personal large vehicles that are required by outside salespeople or delivery personel. Then the small business owner that has the 1 vehicle he uses to operate a business to support his family AND be their mode of transportation.

Go ahead and let them charge even MORE than they already do for people that MUST have a large truck/vehicle to operate a business. We ALREADY DO PAY OUT THE NOSE! All it will do is increase the prices on EVERYTHING you buy and consume.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
There are several legitimate reasons for people to own SUVs of various sizes, especially those large ones, and it wouldn't be right to say "these people should be charged with treason". I know I wouldn't own a gas-guzzling SUV like the Chevy Suburban, but some people who have families need them. They may have also bought those large SUVs back when gasoline was cheap, nobody anticipated the ridiculous increase in gas prices we've seen in the last few months, and the only reason they drive them is probably because they don't want to spend a fortune on a new vehicle.

I have a Nissan SUV that gets about 24-25 miles per gallon on the highway and I don't see myself getting rid of it anytime in the near future. Besides, I don't buy gasoline from companies that use OPEC oil, like Mobil/Exxon, Shell, CITGO, and Texaco.

I'm one of those Suburban driving moms. I LOVE my Suburban but it does double duty. I can carpool w/ the other Suburban drivers in our neighborhood. This means that instead of 4 MORE cars going to and from the schools you only have ONE! Just think if more people did THAT! Then we also use it for business. We have large trucks for most but there are times like this week (short 4 day work week w/ 5-6 days of work due to the holiday) that every truck is on the road and we need a large vehicle for customer emergencies. Usually it is w/ my husband pickup. Yes, it is PAID FOR!!! WOO-HOO!!! I also get about 22 mpg and that is MUCH better than the Honda Accord I had in front of me earlier today belching grey smoke that was a fairly new car ! Get mad at HIM not me! I take GREAT care of my vehicles. But, if I DID trade it in that does NOT mean it would be "off the road". Someone else would simply buy it and be driving it. Who is to say they would take as good of care as I have and keep it running clean. No one. And I'd be stuck w/ a car payment. I've got two kids that I'm saving for college for instead. I plan my driving to fit our schedule and don't go somewhere I don't have to.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,059 times
I heard some where that around 80%(?) of the time people drive alone.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times
My main objection to SUVs is the way they're driven. They seem to come with a "jerk behind the wheel" as standard equipment. Whenever I look in the rear view mirror of my Corolla and all I can see is a manufacturers grill emblem...it's usually hooked to a SUV.

Why do these people feel so invincible?

A few months ago, I hit a Hummer H2 that was trying to cut me off. Her rear bumper caught my front bumper and she spun and rolled 3 times and was ejected. Fortunately for me, I was driving my 2008 84 passenger IC school bus. (a 35,000 lb, rear- engine behemoth). It was touch and go for a while, but she lived and I'm glad of that....but I'll bet she'll never forget her lesson that traffic laws apply to Hummers too....especially when outweighed 5 to 1.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:15 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
I think that people who drive cars with low MPG are fools...be they SUV or sports car drivers, but I wonder why anyone 'needs' an SUV for work?
That's easy, my Real Estate Broker sells lots of Ranch Property and needs a 4wd SUV to show clients listings...

My local Water Districts use Suburbans as engineering platforms... got to have a place for all those large plat maps that is dry and a vehicle to get you up to the watershed...

Tahoes and Suburbans are the vehicle of choice for surveyors...

My neighbor is a traveling salesman... he uses his Excursion to tow his 9900# trailer loaded with construction equipment to trade shows... plus 3 to 4 people. He said it's the best riding tow vehicle he's ever had...

Sometimes I think they make Black SUV's just for law enforcement... it seems to be all the Secret Service drives these days...

Old 05-28-2008, 10:00 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:

I wonder the same thing. I can see how many people need a pickup truck for work, but I can't think of a job that would REQUIRE an SUV....

Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

OK, now you're just getting stupid. Unfortunately, work is a neccesary evil....why not try to get there in a more practical and responsible manner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies