Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 10:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Well, we didn't have Cheney and his stooge Dubya in the white house in the late 90's. Gas prices took off after these idiots took over the White House. I don't think its a coincidence.

I don't like any of the choices for president this year, but Bush can't be gone soon enough in my opinion.
Sorry old man - you clearly are unaware of how oil is priced.

And SUV's are not the problem -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 10:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sorry old man - you clearly are unaware of how oil is priced.

And SUV's are not the problem -

No, no....SUV's aren't the problem...
I guess you fell asleep in Economics class when they talked about "supply and demand..."

Old man? Trust me, I'm much younger than you.....

Old 05-31-2008, 10:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
No, no....SUV's aren't the problem...
I guess you fell asleep in Economics class when they talked about "supply and demand..."
If you believe SUV's are the bain of all existence old man - than, you should be directing your ire at William Jefferson Clinton - as it was he who supported and signed legislation that gave TAX CREDITS for those who bought SUV's. Heck - we got our two SUV's literally for FREE - and, got money back from the government

Thank you President Clinton -

Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Most SUV's are built on the car chassis - Honda CRV is a Honda Accord chassis etc -

SUV's are not battleships Old Man

I'm not talking about CRVs, Rav4's, etc. I'm talking about Cherokees, Explorers, Expeditions, Excursions, Armadas, Suburbans, Yukons, etc.....all built on TRUCK chassis.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:27 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about CRVs, Rav4's, etc. I'm talking about Cherokees, Explorers, Expeditions, Excursions, Armadas, Suburbans, Yukons, etc.....all built on TRUCK chassis.
Cherokees aren't built on a truck chassis......they're a rebodied AMC Eagle.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:11 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
imagine how it would've felt like back then if you knew that the bullets coming your way were indirectly financed by your own people?

we cannot end our dependence on foreign oil but we can definitely lessen it and begin dealing with our trade deficit of which oil is a major contributing factor.
Anyway, point is, a ton of people who have served and suffered for the sake of this country, or are close to somebody who has, drive SUVs, so it is foolish to accuse them of treason. The person who first said this is the traitor. I for one consider it unamerican to blame all of the country's problems on one group of people. Sort of brings to mind the Holocaust.

KEEP ON CHECKING THE LABELS AMERICA. TRY YOUR BEST NOT TO BUY FROM CHINA UNLESS IT IS SOMETHING YOU ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY CANNOT SURVIVE WITHOUT.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
in a nutshell
ABC News: $4 Gas: It's Our Fault

Old 06-01-2008, 05:57 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Ah, the thread still lives I see. Don't know how, this has been argues and griped about in a few other threads as well. Oh well. Just got back from a 3000 mile trip with the Suburban, burned a fair amount of gas and was comfy the whole time. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I took this trip with 2 adults and 4 kids. Plus all the luggage that goes with a trip like this. I was amazed at how many of the "gas saving" little crap-boxes were just flying down the road with one person in them. I always travel about 5 over the speed limit so I get 21MPG on average. I wondered how many of the much smaller vehicles were getting 3-6 times the gas mileage I was. After all I was carrying 6 people and all of them were hauling 1, maybe 2 people. Even fully loaded down it would take most of them 2 trips to haul the same amount of people and gear to the same destination, or you need to take 2 vehicles. Loaded down heavy, I can think of very few cars that would get over 42 MPG so there would ne zero gas savings.

My point is, you don't know the circumstance of every person you see driving a "gas guzzling" SUV. Maybe that same truck just carried 2 or 3 times the amount of people your econobox can, and it is just the driver going to get something from the store by themselves for once. Mine regularly (over 75%) of the time have 6 people in it and still is carrying either groceries, camping equipment (involved with Scouting), or other bulky loads in addition to the people. To judge how I don't care about the environment the 25% of the time I only have 2 or 3 people in it is not looking at the whole picture. The two sides will NEVER convince the other that there is a middle ground, so I chose to let it drop and not take place in ridiculous arguments over how nasty my SUV is. I know better than that, but recognize the fact that somebody driving a Civic all alone at 20 or 30 over the speed limit is blind to the argument that I am actually a better steward than they are.

My truck has traveled 175000 PEOPLE miles in the last year. All of this while burning 1750 gallons of fuel.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:07 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Charge me with treason but ... the reason I drive an SUV is because I've been rear ended four times ... one time by a Mack truck.

In the other cases the smaller cars were totalled. Their cars crumpled up like aluminum foil.

I don't like paying extra for gas but, I feel that I have to for safety. There's just too many crazy drivers out there.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Jackass, I was replying to someone who stated that he'll walk away from accidents with "clown cars" because of his SUV. I responded with the fact that there wouldn't be so many casualties if people weren't driving battleships.
There would be less casualties if people weren't driving battleships?

Ewwwwwkay. Everyone just smile and nod your head. Thank you for the name calling too! Nice touch.

Treason
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In law, Treason is the crime that covers some of the more serious acts of disloyalty to one's sovereign or nation. Historically, treason also covered the murder of specific social superiors, such as the murder of a husband by his wife (treason against the king was known as high treason and treason against a lesser superior was petit treason). A person who commits treason is known as a traitor.

Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as: "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aided or involved by such an endeavour.

Ahh, this clears it up. So the SUV drivers are actually sinister traitors just pretending to be soccer moms.

Next time just name the thread something like, "Maybe if we drove smaller cars the demand for gas would lesson...", or something that would invite some discussion rather than the current krabby old man name calling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies