Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
There would be less casualties if people weren't driving battleships?

Ewwwwwkay. Everyone just smile and nod your head. Thank you for the name calling too! Nice touch.

Treason
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In law, Treason is the crime that covers some of the more serious acts of disloyalty to one's sovereign or nation. Historically, treason also covered the murder of specific social superiors, such as the murder of a husband by his wife (treason against the king was known as high treason and treason against a lesser superior was petit treason). A person who commits treason is known as a traitor.

Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as: "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aided or involved by such an endeavour.

Ahh, this clears it up. So the SUV drivers are actually sinister traitors just pretending to be soccer moms.

Next time just name the thread something like, "Maybe if we drove smaller cars the demand for gas would lesson...", or something that would invite some discussion rather than the current krabby old man name calling.

well look , now their is some ding bat starting a thread that if you use home heating oil it's treason. OMG this talk about treason is so stupid. what the heck are these people thinking anyway or maybe their not thinking, their just typing. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
Its a pretty shallow person that judges themselves and others on what they drive or any material things they own.
I have better things to spend my money on than vehicles. Whatever vehicle gets me from point A to point B reliably, efficiently, and safely is all I care about. I couldn't give a rats hairy arse if I'm turning someone's head.

Navigation? That's for people with no sense of direction and who can't read a map the first time. Waste of money.
I guess you've never been a visiting nurse. I can remember being in situations where I could SEE the patient's house, but couldn't find the road to get there. This was in suburban Denver. A navigation system would have been wonderful, but they weren't widely available when I was doing that work. Ditto when our daughters were doing sports and we had to go to all sorts of unfamiliar places in the Denver metro area.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
How often do people move? Would the prospect of moving be worth spending thousands more on an SUV and the extra gas to drive it every day? You can rent large vans at U-Haul for $19.95 a day....better off to do that and drive a sensible vehicle every other day that you're not moving.
Well, my daughter is in college and moves about twice year. And I was just giving one example of the usefulness of these vehicles. Ever try to rent a moving truck on the last day of May in a college town?

Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstarr View Post
(show, status, etc.) You've got to be kidding. They, (SUV's) have to be the most god awful, ugliest vehicles on the planet. It's a utility vehicle, no different than a garbage truck...
Get back to me when BMW, Lexus, Land Rover and Porsche start making garbage trucks.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Get back to me when BMW, Lexus, Land Rover and Porsche start making garbage trucks.
Most of 'em are garbage trucks at about 85K miles (at least the Euro brands)-------unless meticulously maintained.

Whereas a typical Chevy/Ford big SUV V8 still looks nice and runs well @ 185K miles with normal care.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:38 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
You just negated your own point. You claim SUV's drive up gas prices, yet as you state here they did not increase until President Bush was in office, despite the fact that SUV's were HUGHly popular in the 90's.

If this were true then why when SUV's were flying off the lots did gas prices not shoot up. You are telling me with in the last months SUVS must have been bought at a rate unheard of to make prices jump that much? I dont see it, prices being what they are right now is mostly wall street, and oil companies. They are turning out record profits and prices are so high is that really a coincidence?
at that time we were the only ones who were really buying anything.

over the last 5 years however the chinese and indian consumers have come to the party and added to the demand, add the demand from speculators and investors looking for a hedge against inflation then you take a look at what the military is using in iraq, you take the odd bit of unrest in places like nigeria and you start seeing many wells starting to mature.

the bottom line is that there are many factors which affect the supply and demand not only speculators and suv's.

you asked why saudis and venezuelans have such cheap gas? there governments to not subject their own domestic use to foreign markets ie they give it to them for a nominal fee.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
There would be less casualties if people weren't driving battleships?

Ewwwwwkay. Everyone just smile and nod your head. Thank you for the name calling too! Nice touch.

Treason
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In law, Treason is the crime that covers some of the more serious acts of disloyalty to one's sovereign or nation. Historically, treason also covered the murder of specific social superiors, such as the murder of a husband by his wife (treason against the king was known as high treason and treason against a lesser superior was petit treason). A person who commits treason is known as a traitor.

Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as: "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aided or involved by such an endeavour.

Ahh, this clears it up. So the SUV drivers are actually sinister traitors just pretending to be soccer moms.

Next time just name the thread something like, "Maybe if we drove smaller cars the demand for gas would lesson...", or something that would invite some discussion rather than the current krabby old man name calling.
no one reads the threads if you don't add a little spice. proof:

here is my thread with different wording 18 posts 157 views
//www.city-data.com/forum/busin...r-economy.html

Old 06-01-2008, 01:33 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
This is a warning to everyone: This thread has started to go off-topic and into name-calling attacks. Either stay on topic or the thread will be closed and infractions will be given. You are free to disagree with other members but do so respectfully and without attacking other members.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
1. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/***/noframes/22950.shtml (broken link)
Shows that the 2007 Suburban gets 14 city, 19 highway. The gas tank capacity is 31-39 gallons. Gas in Austin for regular is $3.80. Gas fill up: between $120 and $140.

3. Again, 'honey', I've said time and again, that trucks and SUVs make sense for people in certain kinds of industries who need that type of transport. I don't expect the plumber to show up on a moped. That's just silly. I'm talking about just the average commuting mom or dad with an office job and trips to the grocery, Lowes, Target, and so on.

4. Your business sounds pretty complicated and like one where you're doing what you need to. Good for you. I don't know how else to say that I DON'T NEED AN SUV, and neither do most of the people I see in them...mostly moms all alone.

5. If you only drive your suburban with you and your 3 kids, that's 4 spots full. A Suburban seats 9. That means that 5 of the seats are...empty...that means it's 5 of the 9 seats are empty...5/9th.

Have a nice day.
1. Do I REALLY NEED to copy off my gas receipt to prove that I ONLY paid $92 to fill up my Suburban. Geez. I've got FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCE! That goes MUCH further than what some book or website says about any thing. Heck, the other day filling up BOTH SeaDoo's AND 4 GAS CANS was $125 and that was out in the country at the lake. Of course being pulled by the Suburban

2. What you and many others do not seem realize is that MANY times when you see that lone person driving in their SUV or large vehicle that might be their ONLY mode of transportation and they NEED it for either their constant personal lifestyle or business. They may not have the means financially to afford ANOTHER vehicle that would appease someone. There are also MANY people that don't have a place to park a "spare" smaller vehicle. Some people live in an HOA that might strictly enforce no parking in the street. Or better yet if they live in an apartment or inner city where space is limited. So they have the one vehicle that fits their lifestyle and use it all the time. There can be more to it than the simple thing of seeing one person be it a "soccer mom" or whatever alone in a vehicle at a stop light. You don't know where they are coming from or where they are going or ANYTHING about their life. Heck, they could have BORROWED it to go move.

3. Yes, our business is very complicated and most people don't get it nor do they realize just how much it impacts their life on a daily basis in some way.

4. Where did I say I had 3 kids.

5. That SUV is PAYING for my kids college funds. If it was NOT for us being able to take care of our business and customers we would not have the money to even support our children. It has taken having that SUV and large truck to do such. We could NOT operate our business w/ anything else and that goes for others that NEED a larger vehicle for their lifestyle or job.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:07 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
over the last 5 years however the chinese and indian consumers have come to the party and added to the demand
They're all driving little cars though.....and everybody knows that your're completely innocent if you drive a little car that gets good mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies