Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2022, 03:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,843,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Just answer the question as it was intended. Why should law abiding citizens be made to suffer for the guilty, as it applies to policing?
Undoubtedly, some black people are paying for the sins of other black people. Then again, some white/Asian people (crime victims) are also paying for the sins of "other" black people.

We are seeing the effects of reduced policing. Black criminals are having a heyday, but people like you don't want proven techniques like "stop and frisk" to be utilized.

Much easier to blame white supremacy for your problems.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 07-06-2022 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 03:37 PM

6,701 posts, read 3,002,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
I believe that such fundamental problems start and end at home .
I think that is BS that That statement should be relegated to a certain side, i.e. conservative.

To me, that is common sense. Universal. No color, creed, or economic status needed as a qualifier.

It just IS.

But even mentioning something like that gets you kicked out of the conversation by some.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,843,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I think that is BS that That statement should be relegated to a certain side, i.e. conservative.

To me, that is common sense. Universal. No color, creed, or economic status needed as a qualifier.

It just IS.

But even mentioning something like that gets you kicked out of the conversation by some.

I don't understand your post.

Do you think it's BS that the fundamental problems start and end at home?

I agree with him. From where do you think the problems arise?

Old 07-06-2022, 03:49 PM

28,690 posts, read 18,834,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
It's a cop out. Similar in nature to laying it in the lap of the schools. "Be better at teaching and turn around these young pre-criminals" As a conservative I believe that such fundamental problems start and end at home and that neither govt, nor schools nor any other institution can fix it. Kids are won or lost by their families at an early age.

The blame-shifters are trivializing the issue by telling you to save your lost brethren by doing what ... playing sports with them? Telling them about your job and how you got where you are? Listening to their problems? That's all good enough stuff but when they don't even have the foundation of civility to listen to you or give you any respect at all for your accomplishments and instead see you as some sort of traitor then what? They're too far gone at that point. They were raised by wolves and lack such fundamental basics as manners, respect for elders, a recognition that rules matter, that education matters, impulse control and a rejection of violence. Only family can solve that and I don't know how to fix "the family" issue. You start by doing the best you can for your own.
But somehow there must be a way to deal with what has already been raised as the commoditization and commercialization of "thug culture."

That's not just a black-people thing, there is massive white money involved in it as well.

The Universal Music Group, the Warner Music Group, and the Sony Music Group are selling thug culture as a desirable culture. The Black Entertainment Television system is owned by Paramount Media Network, and they're selling thug culture.

I've personally felt the powerlessness in the face of that onslaught while trying to reach black kids--even middle-class black kids who live in $750,000 homes and whose mothers drive Escalades and fathers drive Range Rovers.

There should be something do-able about that. Stockholders should be outraged.

But here is a point my daughter raised just this past weekend: The United States is not a nation that was created from people who just began living lives and building community in a particular place.

The English colonies of the New World were set up as ventures of corporate capital. Each colony was intended to be a profit-making corporate venture. And that's been embedded in the ethic and policy of the nation from the very beginning. This is not a country, this is a capital business venture, and it essentially lacks the kind of interpersonal support ethics that a "real" country has. So, it's impossible that the concept of human flourishing will ever surpass the profit motive in any area of the American life.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:54 PM

6,701 posts, read 3,002,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I don't understand your post.

Do you think it's BS that the fundamental problems start and end at home?

I agree with him. From where do you think the problems arise?

I agree with it. I think it is THE most important thing.

The part I said was BS , is that it is viewed as a Conservative view. When I think it should be Universal. A truth. Like if you put your hand in water you get wet.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:20 PM

8,260 posts, read 3,513,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The shooting of Daniel Shaver, a 26-year old white male, in a Mesa Arizona motel in 2016, in my opinion was one of the most egregious examples of an individual complying with the police yet still got shot and killed.

The video is difficult to watch, and as big a supporter of our law enforcement as I am, I cannot in any way find what happened justifiable. The police officer shouting confusing commands at Daniel did seem to almost enjoy the power trip he was on, and it is no surprise Daniel seemed confused by what was going on. The officer who shot and killed Daniel, as well as the officer who shouted the commands, were not found guity of second degree murder and manslaughter charges. In fact, the officer who shot Daniel was allowed to medically retire from the police force, and is currently collecting a $2,500 pension.

Despite how upsetting the case was, I don't recall there being any large scale protests or riots.
Yes, he was laying face down on the floor begging for his life. The cop was taunting him. He was not armed and had not committed any crime.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Here is another example, a white man face down in the snow, being tazed, and then shot while being tazed:

https://youtu.be/ZNKbOiexUL4

And another, a completely innocent white man, Tony Timpa, killed in the same way as George Floyd. The cops even continued to mock him after they realized they'd killed him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-E_i8Q5G0

My question has always been, "Why don't white people protest?"

But a comedian spilled the tea on that: White people believe in the police. The status quo--which still broadly favors white people--depends on them upholding the power structure, including the actions of the police. So, if a police action is question, their answer is, "Believe in the police."
In California years ago the cops torture killed a homeless man. Someone videoed it. The man was crying and begging for his father to help him. The cops mocked him.

When I was a criminal justice student, some of the ones who were in the class with me were cops. They would brag about things such as tazing a homeless man who he found sleeping. I was in grad school by then.

It's probably best that I never became a cop. I couldn't do that to someone.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Undoubtedly, some black people are paying for the sins of other black people. Then again, some white/Asian people (crime victims) are also paying for the sins of "other" black people.

We are seeing the effects of reduced policing. Black criminals are having a heyday, but people like you don't want proven techniques like "stop and frisk" to be utilized.

Stop and frisk? Maybe people don't want to get felt up by a stranger with a gun.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:38 PM

1,411 posts, read 1,003,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So to answer the question posed by the OP of this thread, you never got shot.

Yes, you have been treated like a potential criminal but that is to expected when you are black and a male because this group is the leading group in terms of crime. What part of that do you not get?
You still don't get it because you like to stick your head in the sand. We are the leading group ARRESTED in terms of crime. Guess what, we are also the leading group Exonerated. Could there be a connection? Umm!! I've known cops to plant evidence during a traffic stop. Luckly, because of cameras everywhere now, some of these $%&%$@@ have been getting caught.

Old 07-06-2022, 04:41 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,845,123 times
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, do you think it’s ok to stop and frisk solo, young (18-22 years old) White males near schools or large social events?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies