Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 07:12 AM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Is there someone who liked the stones? Who? The stones were becoming more and more well known, even being called America's Stonehenge (they are not), and with that nickname becoming an embarrassment to the state of Georgia.

Matter of time before Georgia politicians campaigned to remove it. I believe it's on private property however. No one should vandalize private property.

Whoever did it should pay to repair it, and serve time in jail. And then those that don't like it can try to have it removed by proper legal procedures. Which might require a new Georgia law of some kind? Maybe restricting the size of 'art' structures? If these things were 5 feet tall no one would care.

Why should the stones be removed at all especially if they are on private property? Why was it an embarrassment to Georgia?

We have seen statues and murals go up of the "martyr" George Floyd. I do not understand why we would want to glorify a criminal that was murdered but I think it would be wrong if those statues and murals were destroyed because they mean so much to so many.

There are all sorts of things spread all over this country like the worlds biggest ball of twine or the biggest frying pan and those should not be taken down but given the fragile nature of some peoples minds they could be triggered and enraged by even the most ridiculous things.

That giant frying pan could be viewed as a symbol of oppression to women since they were once regulated to kitchen duties. I can see the protesters now lining up to have it removed, they would be wearing aprons, barefoot and pregnant with some chaining themselves like slaves to a kitchen stove... UGH..

The whole point is that someone destroyed this monument for their own selfish ignorant reasons. It is like isis blowing up ancient sites that do not align with their narrow viewpoints.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:13 AM

43,116 posts, read 18,281,341 times
This is what people do now to stuff they don't like...destroy it.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:18 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Im more curious of the response compared to if it were statue of a founding father or similar.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:43 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,603,829 times
What if some stones were set up (pick a number) centuries ago in (pick a country). Would you feel bound to defend their wisdom?

We all know now that the truths held self-evident even by our own founders were self-serving hogwash. Eight of the Ten Commandments are not codified now into law in any country.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:46 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
The site received renewed attention during Georgia's May 24 gubernatorial primary when third-place Republican candidate Kandiss Taylor claimed the guidestones are satanic and made demolishing them part of her platform. Comedian John Oliver featured the guidestones and Taylor in a segment in late May. McCarthy said right-wing personalities including Alex Jones had talked about them in previous years, but that "they sort of came back onto the public's radar" because of Taylor.

"God is God all by Himself. He can do ANYTHING He wants to do," Taylor wrote on social media Wednesday. "That includes striking down Satanic Guidestones."
A Georgia monument, seen by some as satanic, was damaged from a predawn explosion

Old 07-07-2022, 01:21 PM

24,498 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Now I saw this morning on a clip that the undamaged section of the monument was taken down.

What was so bad about this monument that so many feared it, first to blow it up, second to applaud the damage and now cheer that it has been knocked down?

It sounded pretty neat to me and it is a shame that we can't have nice and interesting things without some losers wrecking it.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Those things are older than Christianity.

Any goober blowing up pre-historic relics should ponder that before embarking on their imitation of ISIS.
So, Christianity wasn't in existence before 1980 or you just have no clue what you're talking about?

Old 07-07-2022, 02:18 PM

16,558 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
"God is God all by Himself. He can do ANYTHING He wants to do," Taylor wrote on social media Wednesday. "That includes striking down Satanic Guidestones."
The Guidestones sound more New Agey than Satanic to me, though I haven't really paid that much attention. If this monument was privately owned, it should be given the same protection as any other private property. If it was a public monument, then they should have gone through a public process to have it removed.

Old 07-07-2022, 02:29 PM

4,548 posts, read 2,272,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Those things are older than Christianity.

They are not. They were erected in 1980.

Old 07-07-2022, 03:53 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
So, Christianity wasn't in existence before 1980 or you just have no clue what you're talking about?
You're right, I had them confused with something else. Apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies