Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2022, 12:37 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Let's get something straight. Abortion is simply defined as the termination of a pregnancy. Put another way, it is the prevention of a human life from being born.

Abortion has NOTHING TO DO with the health of a woman, reproductive or otherwise.

Let me repeat:

Abortion has nothing to do with a woman's reproductive health. Let's stop referring to it as such.

Thank you.
Is it Dr. BigCityDreamer, M.D.?

Reproductive health:

Reproductive health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity, in all matters relating to the reproductive system and to its functions and processes. Reproductive health implies that people are able to have a satisfying and safe sex life and that they have the capability to reproduce and the freedom to decide if, when and how often to do so.
WHO

Just two articles today on how abortion has nothing to do with the health of a woman.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...36e5f528538621

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-survive.html

Old 07-11-2022, 02:58 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I actually do know a couple of people who gave birth without a doctor or any assistance.
It’s not advisable.
I know a few people who gave themselves abortions too.
People do what that have to.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:01 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Abortion always impacts more than one individual.
Didn’t say otherwise.

However, in my own personal opinion, until that individual developing inside the uterus is viable, I believe the wishes of the woman who has to carry and deliver are paramount. Regardless of the reason.

I personally don’t think it’s right to kill a viable, healthy foetus once it can survive outside the womb, however I will caveat - given individual circumstances that prompt late term abortions are so stressful and personally impactful to the prospective parents, I do not want anyone to make that decision except for them on the advice and guidance of their doctor/s.

I don’t want to see families petitioning the courts to allow them to end the suffering of a baby that has a condition incompatible with life.

I don’t want to see a family that’s made that decision have to travel to do it.

I don’t want to see anymore heartbreak than is already occurring, because the state is sticking it’s nose into people’s medical decisions.

So even though I think it’s reasonable to ban abortion of a foetus that can live outside the womb in theory, because there are some very tragic circumstances that require parents to make difficult decisions I don’t agree with it in practice.

I don’t believe the exceptions for health of the mother or foetal disability will be honoured in all circumstances without being contested. There will be tragedies either way, but I support that we allow people to make their own decisions even though a small few will make a decision I don’t agree with.

So it’s nobody’s business when, why or how another decides to terminate.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:21 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Didn’t say otherwise.

However, in my own personal opinion, until that individual developing inside the uterus is viable, I believe the wishes of the woman who has to carry and deliver are paramount. Regardless of the reason.

I personally don’t think it’s right to kill a viable, healthy foetus once it can survive outside the womb, however I will caveat - given individual circumstances that prompt late term abortions are so stressful and personally impactful to the prospective parents, I do not want anyone to make that decision except for them on the advice and guidance of their doctor/s.

I don’t want to see families petitioning the courts to allow them to end the suffering of a baby that has a condition incompatible with life.

I don’t want to see anymore heartbreak than is already occurring, because the state is sticking it’s nose into people’s medical decisions.

So even though I think it’s reasonable to ban abortion of a foetus that can live outside the womb in theory, because there are some very tragic circumstances that require parents to make difficult decisions I don’t agree with it in practice.

I don’t believe the exceptions for health of the mother or foetal disability will be honoured in all circumstances without being contested. There will be tragedies either way, but I support that we allow people to make their own decisions even though a small few will make a decision I don’t agree with.

When you say it’s nobody’s business, that implies that it only impacts the women which is what I was responding to.

I’m pro elective abortion rights to a point. I just don’t think calling abortion reproductive healthcare is accurate terminology. It’s an elective medical procedure that terminates a pregnancy. In the case of serious medical issues that are threatening the life of mom the label fits but most of the time, it doesn’t.

Last edited by MissTerri; 07-11-2022 at 06:04 PM..

Old 08-09-2022, 06:15 AM

2 posts, read 457 times
This is very interesting & created an awareness about abortion.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:36 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
When you say it’s nobody’s business, that implies that it only impacts the women which is what I was responding to.

I’m pro elective abortion rights to a point. I just don’t think calling abortion reproductive healthcare is accurate terminology. It’s an elective medical procedure that terminates a pregnancy. In the case of serious medical issues that are threatening the life of mom the label fits but most of the time, it doesn’t.
What do you think women’s reproductive health care means? Where do you think the embryo embeds in a woman’s body? What do you think those organs are called? Why is it a problem to call it healthcare?

Old 08-09-2022, 07:41 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What do you think women’s reproductive health care means? Where do you think the embryo embeds in a woman’s body? What do you think those organs are called? Why is it a problem to call it healthcare?
Killing a human life isn't usually called health care. Doctors and hospitals get sued for malpractice when they kill.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:56 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Didn’t say otherwise.

My daughter’s SIL is experiencing all the things you don’t want to happen right now. She’s 22 weeks pregnant with a fetus that has severe anomalies incompatible with life outside the womb. And she’s not been able to find an appointment for the termination doctors are recommending due to the few places/doctors who do later term abortions being overrun by women who can’t get care in their States. NC (her home State) is out because after 20 weeks, you can only get a termination due to the mother’s life being at risk. VA is 24 weeks, but no appointments within that timeframe. She’s now looking at having to traveling to MA.

It’s a tragedy compounded by policies that believe a woman having to carry to term, go through labor to only hold her baby as it dies is not the height of cruelty. It’s disgusting.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 08-09-2022 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-09-2022, 08:01 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My daughter’s SIL is experiencing all the thing you don’t want to happen right now. She’s 22 weeks pregnant with a fetus that has severe anomalies incompatible with life outside the womb. And she’s not been able to find an appointment for the termination doctors are recommending due to the few places/doctors who do later term abortions being overrun by women who can’t get care in their States. NC (her home State) is out because after 20 weeks, you can only get a termination due to the mother’s life being at risk. VA is 24 weeks, but no appointments within that timeframe. She’s now looking at having to traveling to MA.

It’s a tragedy compounded by policies that believe a woman having to carry to term, go through labor to only hold her baby as it dies is not the height of cruelty. It’s disgusting.
Nope. I already told you there's an injunction in place blocking NC's 20 weeks law. She should have no problem terminating the pregnancy of a fetus with severe anomalies in NC.

https://www.wunc.org/health/2022-07-...ban-injunction

Old 08-09-2022, 08:03 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. 95% of unintended pregnancies are the result of women VOLUNTARILY participating in unprotected sex, by their own admission (Guttmacher). That's a choice. They've already made their choice to accept pregnancy as an outcome of their own actions.
And what is that percentage if you count only pregnancies that get aborted, rather than all pregnancies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies