Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2022, 01:23 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times

Advertisements

My one friend’s grand has binary friends. Nice kids. The gal said was binary once and her mom is all about Kardash body n sex - she’s kinda of heavy non dresser. Last week she told me wants 5 kids. I say let her be- she knows where she will fit in. I think some of these kids just want love -and not sure how to achieve that. They don’t fit the Kardash sex lifestyle. But I still think something is happening genetically or something. Again nobody answered- is this happening in other parts of the world??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 03:17 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where in the DSM-V are you finding this?
Gender Identity Disorder first appeared as a diagnosis in the DSM-III, where it was listed as a psychosexual disorder in children. The equivalent diagnosis for adolescents and adults was transsexualism. The DSM-V renamed it as Gender Dysphoria to remove the stigma of the word "disorder."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_dysphoria

Old 07-26-2022, 03:20 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Assuming you are not a parent then?

Forbid your kid to go to parties, date, learn about drinking responsibility and then see what happens when they go off to college.

"Accept" that this stuff happens, coach them through responsible choices, be accepting of their choice, but firm in your values, and things will go better. Every kid I know that went completely nuts in college were the ones who were "sheltered" from it. The ones who might have partied, but handled it and came out successful were the ones with "accepting" parents.

That's my analogy. I'm sure that all the people who don't understand analogies won't get it.
While your point on how the parents parent is relevant, each teenager's own make up matters as well. Some kids really don't care about partying too much and focus very attentively on academics - even if their parents weren't that strict. They were just very driven and showed that way before college arrived.

Old 07-26-2022, 03:56 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Trendy fad, not any different from scores of People now owning blockheaded, surly,
sometimes deadly Nannydogs.
People convincing children during their most impressionable years that their sexuality is some bizarre "spectrum" that's never existed in the entirety of humanity is no different than owning a particular breed of dog?

Weird take.

Old 07-26-2022, 04:36 PM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
People convincing children during their most impressionable years that their sexuality is some bizarre "spectrum" that's never existed in the entirety of humanity is no different than owning a particular breed of dog?

Weird take.
You might want to read up on the cultures worldwide that see more than 2 genders.

Old 07-26-2022, 04:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You might want to read up on the cultures worldwide that see more than 2 genders.
Sure. List them and I'll do exactly that. Pretty sure you're not going to like it if I dig into that claim deeper than you have, however.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:03 PM

899 posts, read 540,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It's become a popular meme, but what it ignores is that even in those cultures 1) such people are very few in numbers, nothing like what you see in the US these days, 2) such people are not viewed and embraced as normal but occupy very specific roles that can have a bit of a history to it, which you can likely view as those cultures' pragmatic ways of handling mental disorders, 3) nor are multiple gender concepts taught and encouraged in schools as real, and 4) still ignores there's no scientific basis for genders outside the classic two.

Gender dysphoria is clearly a real thing. It doesn't mean it deserves to be a protected category demanding all of society redefine what sex and gender is. These other cultures, for example, don't reclassify medical documents to say pregnant people instead of pregnant mothers. Talk to anyone on the streets of Thailand and ask if men can have babies, the answer will be a laugh and roll of eye.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:42 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
My fear is that they will start prosecuting parents who push back. Say you have a girl who’s a little bit of a Tom boy, the school convinces the child that she’s trans or non-bionary but you don’t go along with it, want to wait until your child is older to make the decision to see if she grows out of it. Could this be considered child abuse to some liberal government?
The government can take a child away at anytime and good luck getting anyone to help you. If you are accused of child abuse the public considers you guilty and will join the side that is attacking you.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:50 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
And what is the treatment put forth by the Mental Health profession?
The entire mental health field is woke now in case you hadn’t noticed. The APA has zero credibility nowadays and hasn’t for at least a decade.

Old 07-26-2022, 05:54 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
5th century BC, at least. My Germanic forefathers caused quite a stir among the Romans, with their barbarian leg-coverings.

It is not really that surprising that the men in charge of telling people what God wanted - in a male-dominated society - would instruct their followers that the outer symbols of privileged male status were of course exclusive.

Sort of goes to illustrate that "always" is a dangerous word. Cultural mores change, and sometimes at surprising speed.
Pants were not widespread until modern times, and the men in the Bible were not wearing pants yet, either, so your comment there does not apply. The men and women still dressed differently and had different standards in their appearance.

Anyway, I stand corrected re: my “dresses on boys were never a thing.” My thought process was about modern times, so that point does stand. I should have been more clear in my original post about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies