Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 10:22 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,313,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
The Republican party consists of a bunch of white supremacist with a few token minority members who think they are special. The Democratic party is everyone else left over, forced into the same party whether they agree with each other or not.
This is the perfect example of how someone in NYC sees the world. The post is nakedly racist, but the poster would never understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 10:23 AM

52,793 posts, read 34,700,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
This is the perfect example of how someone in NYC sees the world. The post is nakedly racist, but the poster would never understand that.
at least they chose their user name wisely..

Old 08-04-2022, 10:51 AM

20,366 posts, read 19,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Exactly what "important" point was he making? That if you write a report coming from so far left, it makes even Sanders and AOC look Conservative?

I do have to admit his main example to prove his point was quite interesting

Vs.

So his basic justification that the left isn't really that far left is "What's 1-2 Billion dollars of arson and looting, the US can handle it". But we can't have officials trying to protect our borders because the Federal Government won't.

You know what...I'll take the supposed 4 Billion dollars in "Damage" of trucks getting delayed over the 1-2 Billion of actual damage caused by criminal acts any day of the week.
This thread is going down in flames faster than the Hindenburg.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Look at all that's happening in NYC, day after day after day and we're talking dystopian reality, not a myth.

Keep it there and I'm okay with it.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
at least they chose their user name wisely..
And seems to drop pro-left and anti-right posts but never comes back to engage posters with differing views

Old 08-04-2022, 11:21 AM

13,679 posts, read 4,975,082 times
Acknowledging the liberal bias of Paul Krugman and ignoring the discussion of who is responsible for domestic violence, one sentence that caught my eye:

”And this lie in turn derives a lot of its persuasiveness from a grotesquely distorted view of what life is like in blue America.”

I think there is truth in this. I recall when Donald Trump was campaigning back in 2016. He painted a nightmarish picture of life in America, where unemployment was skyrocketing, crime was rampant and foreigners were robbing our nation of its riches. ”Only I can fix it”, he said. As soon as he took office, the picture magically turned rosy.

I see the same phenomenon on the pages of this forum. Conservative posters tell us that America has lost her greatness and Americans are living in misery and fear. Of course, none of them say they will be moving abroad; their little corner of the US is fine, but all the cities and border areas and everywhere else are virtual hellholes. ”Grotesquely distorted view” is exactly what it is.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:26 AM

27,676 posts, read 28,781,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Conservative posters tell us that America has lost her greatness and Americans are living in misery and fear. Of course, none of them say they will be moving abroad; their little corner of the US is fine, but all the cities and border areas and everywhere else are virtual hellholes.
Not all parts of all cities are bad.

But the best parts of many cities - the high end of town - are so expensive that only the top 1% can afford to live there.

Everybody else gets to live in a cesspool of crime, drugs and deterioration.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:46 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,696,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
i live in red america and enjoy the lack of restrictions and regulations. it makes life easier, cheaper, less stressful. sure, i cant get my weekly dosage of abortions if i dont meet certain criteria, but it’s a small price to pay to be in a place that embodies limited government. my former state was dark blue and leftist points of view were not only expressed Whether you asked for it or not but if you did not agree, you would be completely ostracized and demonized.

If you don’t think the Democrats have moved further left, then when you compare them to Democrats of say 20 years ago were they just right wingers in disguise? progressives always move forward, it’s what they do. to deny that is contrary to liberal beliefs
But people in nearly all rural counties in Red States quite strongly support prohibitive laws, such as no abortion, no legal marijuana, no expanded Medicaid, for starters. However, the urban areas often overrule rural counties, especially when the entire state is allowed to vote on controversial issues. That easily explains how Kansas decided to keep legal abortion in its state constitution. In America it may very well more often be about rural vs urban, rather than red vs blue.

Progressives wanting to move Oklahoma City steadily forward explain why Oklahoma City always votes yes to keep its sales tax up to make city government bigger. The latest plan will cost nearly $1 billion to complete. Even many Republicans, including the Republican mayor are happy to go along with it.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:54 AM

4,568 posts, read 4,114,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
One party, for the most part, is compromised of people who just want to be left alone.
The other party is compromised of people who want to control every aspect of another's life, their speech, and their thoughts, if they could.

Why in God's name should anyone want to be understanding with the latter?
Most people want to be left alone.

Just one group is afraid of the existence of others not like them, so they lynch them chase them down and kill them etc.

Another group wants complete control to maximize their profits so they use just in time scheduling, union busting price gouging etc.

You want to see people leave each other alone start with those behaviors. Add a universal basic income healthcare etc.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:09 PM

16,587 posts, read 10,701,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Progressives wanting to move Oklahoma City steadily forward explain why Oklahoma City always votes yes to keep its sales tax up to make city government bigger.
This is a good example of "blue" bias. Note the wording here. "Move Oklahoma City steadily forward." No doubt meaning "forward" in the sense of "becoming more liberal." The clear implication is that the conservatives want to drag OKC backwards, and it's only the enlightened progressives enacting their preferences that will make OKC a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies