Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 09:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 12,535,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Governors of South Dakota and Missouri went on national television and said their faith meant that a 10 year old rape victim should be forced to give birth
The speaker of the Mississippi house said he also believed a child rape victim should be forced to give birth

You can’t win a gop primary in the Bible Belt without having these views. These are GOP political leaders
Noem said:
Quote:
This tragedy is horrific, I can’t even imagine, I’ve never had anybody in my family or myself gone through anything like this… but in South Dakota, the law today is that abortions are illegal except to save the life of the mother
Is she right or is she wrong, about the law in SD at the time she was asked the question? It would have made you feel better if she'd lied about the laws in that state? Please point out where she said a "child rape victim should be forced to give birth"?

I didn't look up the others since your comment was debunked with the first one I'd looked up. The poster I had responded to had claimed all republicans were for "no abortions" even for 10yo rape victims, which is completely false. You picked out several individuals and twist what they'd said, then you pretend they speak for all republicans. seriously?

Old 08-06-2022, 09:39 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What you call "constraining", rational folks call "election integrity".
Funny, none of those things happen here in Canada, and no one questions the integrity of our elections. Oh, and both Freedom House and the CATO institute rank Canada as much higher in freedom AND integrity of elections than the USA.

So, it's not just my opinion, but the opinion of two very right wing USA think tanks. Go argue with them if you don't believe me.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:49 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Just my PREDICTION, but the Democrats will surprise and win 2022. Full disclosure, I am 21 and a moderate-Pro-Life-Democrat.

1, Democrats have won 3 of the last 4 generic congressional polls.

2, Republicans don't have a lot of good candidates in my state, Democrats have made this worse for Republicans by constantly funding the worst most extreme candidates. I don't approve of this strategy, but it will likely pay off.

3, Nationwide Democrats overall won the redistricting battle. Rhode Island's census accidentally overcounted, letting them keep a congressional seat that they would have lost to a Red State.

4, Trump. It seems like many people on all sides live in an echo chamber these days. Trump supporters know that Trump is toxic to those on the left, but they don't realize just how toxic he is to those in the middle. The more that Trump lingers on the side, pushes for a 2024 run, endorses candidates, the more it helps Democrats. Almost all of the girls in my friend group can't stand him.

Some of the very best humans I know are Trump voters, but they just can't see how toxic he is to so many in the middle and what they fail to see what he represents to so many independent voters. It will be the GOP's undoing in November.

5, TV has covered many stories that just make Republicans look poor lately. From January 6, to the Ohio girl that got raped, to Republicans voting against securing Gay Marriage. Issues that Republicans can win on like should racist ideas be taught in schools have taken a back seat in TV coverage.

6, The youth vote will come out strong against Republicans.

7, Inflation is a problem, but most realize that it isn't solely Biden's fault and both parties pushed bigger spending during the pandemic, even if Democrats wanted even bigger spending. This won't help Republicans too much.

8, People want a larger safety net, like perhaps a national healthcare system. Democrats are the path forward on this.

9, As a Pro-Life Democrat, I once had in 2020, a smug not that masculine Democrat man tell me "You are anti-women's rights, that is not a Democrat, cutie." I was angered to the point that I almost didn't vote Dem in my first election. Democrats have seemed to wise up a bit lately, as no Democrat has been so insulting and condescending to me if I say that I am a pro-Life Democrat for pacifist religious beliefs.

10, There have always been a little more Democrats, it is just that Democrats were a little less likely to vote. The new easier voting methods have flipped the tables. They are still in place.

11. Biden is unpopular, Biden is NOT doing a great job, but he is also NOT on the Ballot. Biden does not equal the Democratic Party in its entirety.

Don't be mad, just my thoughts, good people can disagree, what are your thoughts? I think the Democrats do surprise in November.
"Moderate pro life Democrat." I'm impressed. That's a bird so rare as to have never been sighted. Till now I reckon. Verily, the Democrats have driven moderates to the brink of extinction. I used to consider myself a moderate. I left the Republican party over 30 years ago when I figured out a politician is a politician. Regardless of party affiliation they are all, every last one of them, pure D straight up skulking varmints. So for quite a while I was a moderate Independent. I don't share my views on the abortion issue. Religion wise I have blended a bunch of different beliefs (none however from Islam) into my own brand of Christianity. I call it "spiritual Christian" and I attend the First Church of Fishing regularly and commune with the Lord. Sometimes over fresh caught trout fried on the river bank.

(sigh) Over the last few years I figgered out that there's no such thing as a moderate. Both left and right have adopted a all in or all out philosophy. If you lean left on something the right calls you a liberal (a term which is outdated and run its course) and if you go right on something the left calls you all manner of vile invective. The left has been more vile than the right and thee are some issues I'm firmly and immovably right on. Soooooo, I just gave up and now call myself a conservative.

Being as the left has been far more...colorful...in the names it assigns me for certain of my views I pitched my tent on the right side of the field. Some distance away from the main army and its commanders, but that's still where I picket my horse and eat supper of an evening. Which consists of beans and biscuits sans the beef these days thanks to the Dems and their moron in chief. A pathetic dilapidated puppet who's strings are pulled by the likes of Soros.

You're 21 aye? I remember those bygone days of my youth. My son is older than you are. Not by a whole bunch. He'll be 26 soon. With politics he's as passionate as I was at his age. It is difficult not to be so when your young and driven by your heart. You have a ways to go yet before you get old cynical angry and follow your head instead of your heart. Like me. . The pro life/pro choice issue is one I studiously avoid declaring a side on. I've no time nor inclination for the yowling spitting hissing and clawing that puts enough fur in the air to obscure vision.

And I don't believe it's going to be near as central and deciding a factor as the Dems want it to be. The "youth vote" (don't mean to burst you bubble) is not nearly so strong a factor as once it was. The wokey tokey nonsense and labeling all conservative minded folks as Republican by default isn't going to work either. Nor are the shrill wailing cries calling everybody not a woke pandering simpering groveling radical left Dem hoping to curry favor with non White people homosexuals transgenders and pronoun nazis.

I do believe folks have had enough of that bilge. Back to academics education, getting this "green energy" felgercarb off the list of massive government spending, getting the Mexican border buttoned up, getting this rampant crime caused by the woke agenda under control and putting criminals where they belong, in prison or the other side of the grass, giving solid citizens the unshakeable right to defend themselves from all these rampant criminals rioters looters murderers and arsonists running amok under the banners of BLM and ANTIFA and showing them if we can't have law we WILL have order...you get the point I think. That was enough of a run on sentence.

Personally that is where I see the midterms heading. Abortion is not turning into near the central long term issue the Dems were hoping it would and this new tax and spend legislation (can you say taxation without representation?) to fund social programs school indoctrination "green energy" and the pet projects for Pelosi and Schumers home states and any other Dems promised a cut will be on folks minds.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:07 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Looking like GOP will massively overtake the house but the Dems will retain the senate due to the republicans running crap candidates in 3 elections. Massive fail for the GOP IMO that they will not retake the Senate during the worst Pres Admin in our history. Only the incompetent republican party could crap the bed with these circumstances.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Looking like GOP will massively overtake the house but the Dems will retain the senate due to the republicans running crap candidates in 3 elections. Massive fail for the GOP IMO that they will not retake the Senate during the worst Pres Admin in our history. Only the incompetent republican party could crap the bed with these circumstances.
the republican will most likely take the house (every two year the ENTIRE house is up for grabs)

in the senate (35 seats)...they may take 3 Arizona, Nevada, and Georgia as they are very close toss-ups that could go to the republicans, currently held by the (D)s... otherwise of the other 32 seats, it will likely stay the same, although both Pa. and Wi, are also toss-up that the (R)s currently hold, and New Hampshire (Hassan (D)) is also a close race listed as leaning D toss-up

in the senate for 2022 there are 6 that are retiring/not running again:
Richard Burr (R)North Carolina (most likely r)
Pat Toomey (R) Pennsylvania (1 of the toss-ups)
Rob Portman (R) Ohio (most likely r)
Richard Shelby (R) Alabama (solid r)
Roy Blunt (R) Missouri (solid r)
Patrick Leahy (D) Vermont (solid d)

and in 2024 there are 33 senate seats that have to run

one of the thing I hate is how the media states that the dems have it (currently) 50/50 with VP being the deciding vote...when in FACT the dems only have 48 seats that are actual dems, the repubs have 50 seats...
..and two seats are listed as independent (Sanders (Vermont) and King (Maine) ) (The two Independents caucus with the Democratic Party, though so they "count" them as dems)

Old 08-06-2022, 10:42 AM

1,517 posts, read 541,225 times
Based on polling and the mid-term trends the R's will take the house. The senate is still up for grabs but currently leans D, this is where the fight is going to be from now till November.

'22 - 24 looks to put us in gridlock which is good, since none of these parties is capable of leaning America out of this period of extreme divisiveness.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:45 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
It’s almost as if you did not know about voter turnout in the Kansas referendum
it's almost as if I was speaking to national polls.

I've discussed the Kansas vote in the thread on the Kansas vote. I know that vastly more people pulled the lever on the Amendment than for other races on the ballot. I find it a good thing that the vast middle - essentially - "spoke up" and the amendment failed.

But if voting for the politicians at the primary who will make the rules come next January wasn't important to them then, why are we to assume they'll show back up in November and magically now vote for "pro choice" candidates?

Old 08-06-2022, 11:23 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
people want a more efficient social safety net...

3/4 of the budget is social safety net programs....we spend more on social safety net programs, than any other country
Your “social safety net programs” are Medicare and Social Security.
Not handouts to undocumented immigrants or welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies