Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2022, 08:54 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Collusion happened. Manafort admitted to providing Kilimnik - a suspected Russian Intelligence officer - with polling data and campaign strategy information back when he was running Trump's campaign.

This will probably get deleted too, but I'm going to post the truth every time you bring up collusion.
Truth

Old 08-15-2022, 08:56 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
What branch of government does the Dept of Energy fall under?
Again, I have found nothing in the updated DOE ruling issued in 2018 that grants Trump or any president unilateral power to declassify nuclear documents by virtue of his position alone. Nuclear documents are not just like any other classified material.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:01 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,730,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Looks like the current line of thinking is that a document is legally declassified the millisecond a president has formed the decision in his mind that it should be. No process or procedure, no paper trail, no accountability.

And if that a line of thinking sounds familiar, it's because it was King John's take back in 1215 - the king decides what's legal, because the king is the fount of all law. Those who followed along in history class will recall Magna Carta putting an end to that idea.

What's so depressing right now is the number of people who seem to want a king - or a person with king-like powers - to rule over them. Tired of this "republic" thing?
This reasoning has reached the point of absurdity.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:01 AM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You think Trump gave the Secret Service a list of all Mar A Lago members so they could do background checks on all the members and guests of the resort?

One of the storage rooms that were searched was next to the pool. Who do you think passed by that door or hallway on their way to the pool?

That's a foolish point you made there.
You know, if you're going to claim that something is foolish, it would behoove you to at least get your facts straight in your attempt to rebut legitimate points made and addressed.

Mar A Lago club members are not allowed into every area of the estate, so your point about club members is a red herring.

Also, some documents were found in a storage room above the pool area, meaning on a different floor: https://thehill.com/homenews/3598071...earch-sources/ Again, these were in Trump's private quarters guarded 24/7 by the United States Secret Service. Stop repeating silly DNC talking points and making it seem like the documents were publicly accessible; they weren't.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:02 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Actually, no. As the politifact article I posted goes over, a president is not subject to any formal declassification process. The executive orders on classification and declassification--issued by the president and not some prescribed laws--don't apply to the president.

I'll post more:

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...y-anything-an/

The only question is whether the president did declassify a document. But, since there is no formal process for proving or requiring a president to declassify something, his word on declassification decision necessarily has to be enough.

And as I addressed multiple points on the presidential records act as well.

This is like when the Navy claimed to not implement an order from the president because he Tweeted it via coming through formal Naval communications channels. But the Navy lost that battle as it isn't up to the Navy to decide how it receives orders from the president.

Then there is this Politifact article:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2...ied-documents/

..."Merely proclaiming a document or group of documents declassified and doing nothing more would not suffice," Bradley Moss, a Washington, D.C.-based lawyer who works on national security cases, told PolitiFact.

Follow-through is required.

"He had to identify the specific documents he was declassifying, he needed to memorialize the order in writing for bureaucratic and historical purposes, and he needed to have staff physically modify the classification markings on the documents themselves," Moss said. "Until that was done, the documents, per the security classification procedures, still have to be handled, transmitted and stored as if they were classified."

Tom Blanton, director of the National Security Archive at George Washington University, agreed.

"If the documents are still marked classified 18 months after their removal from the White House," Blanton told PolitiFact, "then Trump was too busy to order them declassified at the time."

Old 08-15-2022, 09:05 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
All the seized docs were classified?

Not even close.

This will be a long and lawyerly negotiated process.
I never said that. I said the records were not legally in his possession, regardless of classification, and that if any were classified, he had no security clearance to handle them.

Dispute me with facts.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Actually, no. As the politifact article I posted goes over, a president is not subject to any formal declassification process. The executive orders on classification and declassification--issued by the president and not some prescribed laws--don't apply to the president.

I'll post more:

The only question is whether the president did declassify a document. But, since there is no formal process for proving or requiring a president to declassify something, his word on declassification decision necessarily has to be enough.

This is like when the Navy claimed to not implement an order from the president because he Tweeted it via coming through formal Naval communications channels. But the Navy lost that battle as it isn't up to the Navy to decide how it receives orders from the president.
Really? His word is enough to prove a document is declassified? That is such garbage thinking. I am surprised at you.

If anyone picks up a document with one of the classified labels on it, that doc is classified. Because that person cannot know what is in Trump's head. And that is also what the law says about docs with classified labels on them.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
This reasoning has reached the point of absurdity.
It sure has. Magical thinking on Trump's part is all that's needed to declassify. That is what the right is trying to tell us.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:11 AM

5,058 posts, read 3,959,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Every document tells its own story. Copy or original.

Duplicate copies could become Presidential Records depending on what actions were taken with them.

If Trump reviewed a copy of something given to him and put a note on it for Ivanka to read and discuss with him. It becomes a Presidential Record.

We are where we are now because NARA followed the process. Early in that process, Team Trump sent 15 boxes back to them. NARA became alarmed that some of them were classified. Whether because they were still marked classified or because the info was so sensitive they couldn't understand why it wasn't classified I don't know. In any case, they contacted DOJ to report this and ask them to check it out.
It is actually not at all unusual for disputes regarding presidential/senatorial/ General Officer papers to be amicably resolved.

Of course, Trump doesn’t mind rallying his supporters prior to the elections which explains his reaction following the unprecedented ‘banana republic’ style raid.

Hard to believe DOJ/Biden didn’t see this obvious PR defeat coming although I’m not sure Biden is aware of much at this point and DOJ is in its own echo chamber.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:11 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:

I'll post more:

All of those documents are catalogued and stored by NARA, stamped with any classification they may have, "stamped" being the operative word. That stamp has to be changed on any document that is reclassified, so that there is no confusion on what is and what is not classified.

A president is certainly allowed to declassify a document, but that process also includes updating the classification stamp. This should be a simple process for Trump to figure out what documents have what classification and demonstrate that to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies