Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 10:16 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Polio was a huge threat don't you remember?

They were dang sure that the numbers were collected. They needed to know so they could say ... HEY LOOK AT ALL THE KIDS DYING FROM POLIO!!!!

Or are you claiming they just made the numbers up? Or exxagerated the threat of polio?

Pick a lane, please.

So... AGAIN

How many kids died of polio?

In your 70s? You would be too young to remember any adult conversations about polio.
You assume too much. I have a very vivid memory of going down to the high school with the whole family after dinner to get our first sugar cube dose of the polio vaccine. I remember hesitating because normally I wasn't allowed to eat a sugar cube. I waited for mom to tell me it was ok in this case.
That would have been sometime in the mid 1950s.

We old people do have good memories.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:24 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You assume too much. I have a very vivid memory of going down to the high school with the whole family after dinner to get our first sugar cube dose of the polio vaccine. I remember hesitating because normally I wasn't allowed to eat a sugar cube. I waited for mom to tell me it was ok in this case.
That would have been sometime in the mid 1950s.

We old people do have good memories.
The numbers you give don't add up. To be in HS in mid 1950s you would have to be born in 1940. Which makes you in your 80s, not your "70s." Why the misinformation? What purpose could it POSSIBLY serve?

But AGAIN:

You clearly don't know. /shrug/ And have no desire to look it up. So I'll tell you.

From 1940-1952: Average number of deaths was about 700-850 kids per year.

That's it. Very low number.

So stop the hyperbole and hysterics.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Polio was a huge threat don't you remember?

They were dang sure that the numbers were collected. They needed to know so they could say ... HEY LOOK AT ALL THE KIDS DYING FROM POLIO!!!!

Or are you claiming they just made the numbers up? Or exxagerated the threat of polio?

Pick a lane, please.

So... AGAIN

In your 70s? You would be too young to remember any adult conversations about polio.

Back then, nobody had to make up numbers of dying or maimed children. Everybody knew somebody who had it happen to a family member, OR knew somebody who knew somebody... maybe 3 degrees of separation. I already recounted a story of someone I went to school with who survived polio but had a bum leg for life. FDR survived polio and lived in a wheelchair.

It was common enough that something needed to be done. And everybody was thankful when a safe vaccine finally became available.

Last edited by ansible90; 08-12-2022 at 10:46 AM..

Old 08-12-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
The numbers you give don't add up. To be in HS in mid 1950s you would have to be born in 1940. Which makes you in your 80s, not your "70s." Why the misinformation? What purpose could it POSSIBLY serve?

But AGAIN:

You clearly don't know. /shrug/ And have no desire to look it up. So I'll tell you.

I said we went to the high school to get the sugar cube polio vaccine. Not that I was in high school at the time.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:

But AGAIN:

How many were crippled for life?

Old 08-12-2022, 10:50 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Why don't you research that and let everyone know?

Your emotional appeals would be easier to take if you had facts to back them up.

Otherwise they are just Lifetime special cue the violins and close up on the crying moments for manipulation.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:55 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
It amazes me how many anti vaxxers we have on City Data.
You mean us who are pro-choice vs you who are anti-choice

Stupid labels aside meant to demonize people, in my circles I know more pro-choice people than there is on city data.

Most are incredibly healthy, fitness fanatics who treat their bodies like a temple and don’t just put anything inside because it’s the fad of modern medicine.

The best tennis player in the world (Djokovic) is also pro-choice for this very reason! He got his routine vaccinations as a kid as his parents didn’t know better, but as he evolved into what he is today, perfected his diet and athletic abilities, he largely realized the sham that is vaccinations.

Did you know if you give a infant peanuts during or near their vaccinations, their chances of developing a peanut allergy greatly increases? Why it’s advised not to feed infants peanuts because modern medicine treats babies like pin cushions!

COVID, the CDC, Fauci et all killed the mystique around vaccinations. Instead of turning this day into the vaccination era Bill Gates envisioned, it now belongs to the anti-vaxxers !

Old 08-12-2022, 10:57 AM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
I have a friend whose dad didn’t believe in vaccines. In high school he got polio and spent his life in a wheelchair. He couldn’t even use his arms and needed 24 hour care. He had to talk through a trachea. Anyone not getting a polio vaccine is a fool. Not all vaccines are the same.

Old 08-12-2022, 10:58 AM

3,113 posts, read 938,998 times
Quote:
Not many.

In terms of finding things that will improve the lives of children, there are many things higher than eradicating polio!

Old 08-12-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Why don't you research that and let everyone know?

Your emotional appeals would be easier to take if you had facts to back them up.

Otherwise they are just Lifetime special cue the violins and close up on the crying moments for manipulation.
Ha. Keep looking up statistics because, you know, statistics are more important than the people they describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies