Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 04:07 PM

6,143 posts, read 3,366,020 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...awal-house-gop

Basically, House GOP members are about to publish a 118 page report outlining these 5 points where Biden blatantly lied to all of us:

1) He said he consulted with military leaders on the withdrawal and it was done with full coordination, but both Gen McKenzie and Gen Milley advised Biden to keep 2500 in country indefinitely (keep Bagram Air Base open). Biden lied about everyone agreeing on the withdrawal.

2) He said that if we stayed in AFG, it would be a return to war with the Taliban. But Milley and McKenzie did not say that at all. They said the US could stabilize the country and could protect themselves from attack short of an all out war. Biden lied.

3) Biden said he must follow Trump’s agreement. But the agreement clearly stated that the Taliban must follow the conditions of the agreement in order to go forward. They absolutely did not meet those conditions. Again, Biden lied by stating he had to follow the agreement. If he followed the agreement, he would’ve dissolved it.

4) Biden stated we accomplished the goal that Afghanistan wouldn’t be used as a base for terrorism ever again. That’s the dumbest thing anyone has ever said right there and an obvious lie. Zawahiri moved to Kabul and was living out in the open.

5) Biden stated that the Afghan Military had 300,000 and they would fight valiantly. The Afghan Military only had 180,000. The other 120,000 were police, which is a vastly different thing. Also, they did not fight valiantly.

My takeaway on all this is that I’m glad to finally see some leaders agree with me that we could’ve stayed and should’ve stayed.

We also now know why Gen Milley and Gen McKenzie were not asked to resign their positions. Because they were 100% right, and they even advised Biden on what to do, but he ignored them and chose to do the opposite.

Because of the decision to surrender:

1) We are paying 100,000+ Afghan refugees to be guests in our home, free airfare, free food, free housing, free medical, free everything.

2) Afghanistan is now a base for terrorism exactly as it was pre-9/11

3) The Taliban are tyrannizing their own people, exactly as it was pre-9/11

This post was not meant to be political at all. It’s intent is to discuss just one issue, not the entire presidency, and show the poor decision on surrendering our position in Afghanistan.

One final note is that this report surprised me as I thought Milley and McKenzie advised Biden to withdraw, and the reason I believed it is because Biden said they did just that in his speech on April 14th 2021. I should’ve known better to take his words at face value.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:55 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,151,238 times
The blood of the murdered 13 in Afghanistan stains obidens hands as well as those who voted for sippy-cup bunker dwelling Joe Obiden.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:10 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,061,779 times
Posted before, not a perfect meme, but accurate enough. We see what 'magic' got us.

Old 08-14-2022, 10:37 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times
Can you show me the evidence of Taliban "tyrannizing" everyone again? I have not heard much since the withdrawal.

edit:

Better yet show me evidence the regular average Afghans prefers foreign occupation more.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:39 AM

6,143 posts, read 3,366,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can you show me the evidence of Taliban "tyrannizing" everyone again? I have not heard much since the withdrawal.

edit:

Better yet show me evidence the regular average Afghans prefers foreign occupation more.
Seriously? You have no evidence that the Taliban has committed dozens of atrocities since taking over?

Do you also need me to provide you evidence that the sky is blue?

1). Over 500 people have been executed, or “disappeared” since the Taliban seized the country. The 500 number is a conservative estimate

2) The Taliban has taken a sledgehammer to women’s rights. Way too many to list out, but saying that women are being being abused is putting it mildly.

3) 97% are in danger of slipping into severe poverty as a direct result of Taliban decision making.

I don’t have much sympathy for the Afghan people either. They knew exactly what was going to happen, but they laid down their arms and demonized the one country (USA) who was shaping their country for a better tomorrow.

Freedom isn’t free, and when you won’t even fight for it, you deserve whatever you get.

If they did prefer the Taliban over the Afghan government, that’s definitely their prerogative. But don’t sit there whining about the Taliban now, like so many of them are doing now.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:44 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,029,099 times
Well the US lead occupation of Afganistan should never been as long. Biden is not just to blame, but previous Presidents who just dragged on the war.

Old 08-15-2022, 04:56 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,029,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Seriously? You have no evidence that the Taliban has committed dozens of atrocities since taking over?

1). Over 500 people have been executed, or “disappeared” since the Taliban seized the country. The 500 number is a conservative estimate

2) The Taliban has taken a sledgehammer to women’s rights. Way too many to list out, but saying that women are being being abused is putting it mildly.

3) 97% are in danger of slipping into severe poverty as a direct result of Taliban decision making.

I don’t have much sympathy for the Afghan people either. They knew exactly what was going to happen, but they laid down their arms and demonized the one country (USA) who was shaping their country for a better tomorrow.

Freedom isn’t free, and when you won’t even fight for it, you deserve whatever you get.

If they did prefer the Taliban over the Afghan government, that’s definitely their prerogative. But don’t sit there whining about the Taliban now, like so many of them are doing now.
Well during the US presence in Afganistan, it became a very currupt society.

A few years ago, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) issued a comprehensive report examining how the U.S. fanned the flames of elite predation and high-level corruption in Afghanistan following the 2001 invasion. The details in the 164-page report are mind-boggling, not least for how clearly they illustrate just how thoroughly corrupt the U.S.-backed government had become.

Another analysis found that at least 40 percent of thousands of Department of Defense contracts, totaling tens of billions of dollars, ended up in the hands of criminal syndicates and criminal officials. As one American official said, “The biggest source of corruption in Afghanistan was the United States.”

“The United States contributed to the growth of corruption by injecting tens of billions of dollars into the Afghan economy, using flawed oversight and contracting practices, and partnering with malign powerbrokers.” Under the U.S.-backed government, billions of dollars in illicit funds left the country, flowing to money laundering hotspots like Dubai in order to be washed clean. Even when the U.S. acknowledged corruption as an ongoing threat to Afghan stability, as SIGAR reported, “security and political goals consistently trumped strong anti-corruption actions.” Or as the Washington Post summarized in 2019, “The U.S. flooded [Afghanistan] with money — then turned a blind eye to the graft it fueled.”

https://www.vox.com/world/2022/8/15/...en-white-house

It was the Americans that truly contributed to the conditions of corruption which contributed to the mess of Afganistan. With that the people of Afganistan no longer trusted the Americans or the American backed government there. With that the Taliban who has always been opposed to the American presence did really exploit this. With this, now wonder once the US military was withdrawn the Afghans did not really put up with the fight against the Taliban.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:30 AM

14,410 posts, read 14,329,059 times
Quote:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...awal-house-gop

Basically, House GOP members are about to publish a 118 page report outlining these 5 points where Biden blatantly lied to all of us:

1) He said he consulted with military leaders on the withdrawal and it was done with full coordination, but both Gen McKenzie and Gen Milley advised Biden to keep 2500 in country indefinitely (keep Bagram Air Base open). Biden lied about everyone agreeing on the withdrawal.

2) He said that if we stayed in AFG, it would be a return to war with the Taliban. But Milley and McKenzie did not say that at all. They said the US could stabilize the country and could protect themselves from attack short of an all out war. Biden lied.

3) Biden said he must follow Trump’s agreement. But the agreement clearly stated that the Taliban must follow the conditions of the agreement in order to go forward. They absolutely did not meet those conditions. Again, Biden lied by stating he had to follow the agreement. If he followed the agreement, he would’ve dissolved it.

4) Biden stated we accomplished the goal that Afghanistan wouldn’t be used as a base for terrorism ever again. That’s the dumbest thing anyone has ever said right there and an obvious lie. Zawahiri moved to Kabul and was living out in the open.

5) Biden stated that the Afghan Military had 300,000 and they would fight valiantly. The Afghan Military only had 180,000. The other 120,000 were police, which is a vastly different thing. Also, they did not fight valiantly.

My takeaway on all this is that I’m glad to finally see some leaders agree with me that we could’ve stayed and should’ve stayed.

We also now know why Gen Milley and Gen McKenzie were not asked to resign their positions. Because they were 100% right, and they even advised Biden on what to do, but he ignored them and chose to do the opposite.

Because of the decision to surrender:

1) We are paying 100,000+ Afghan refugees to be guests in our home, free airfare, free food, free housing, free medical, free everything.

2) Afghanistan is now a base for terrorism exactly as it was pre-9/11

3) The Taliban are tyrannizing their own people, exactly as it was pre-9/11

This post was not meant to be political at all. It’s intent is to discuss just one issue, not the entire presidency, and show the poor decision on surrendering our position in Afghanistan.

One final note is that this report surprised me as I thought Milley and McKenzie advised Biden to withdraw, and the reason I believed it is because Biden said they did just that in his speech on April 14th 2021. I should’ve known better to take his words at face value.
You sir, are doing more to turn this forum into a political forum than any poster I have seen so far. I hope others are noting that.

I will repeat what should be obvious at this point. The United States remaining in Afghanistan indefinitely was untenable. Unlike our presence in say Germany, Japan, or other countries we didn't have to engage in a continual war to remain in those countries. The citizens of those nations generally want us there and are not shooting at us. Many Afghans were shooting at us and our presence there was costing billions of dollars every years. Did you pay any attention to how quickly the government we spent billions of dollars to establish collapsed when we left? It wasn't in days as much as it was in hours. South Vietnam lasted much longer than the Afghan government did when we withdrew our support.

Refugees were inevitable after a twenty year conflict. I suspect most of those people though are a good investment. Ultimately, they and their children will contribute to our economy in the form of being productive people and paying taxes. It will not be a drain on our economy that is perpetual.

You say Afghan is now a base for terrorism. I have news for you. So is much of the Middle East. We don't have troops in most of these regions. What we do have is an ability to use weapons like predator drones to "take out" terrorists when we identify them.

Sure, the Afghans are tyrannizing their own people. America, for that matter has a history of supporting military dictatorships and tyrants around the world. We have done so when we felt such a government was in our national interest. My point is this alone was not an argument for remaining indefinitely in Afghanistan.

I know you don't like Biden. Many of us still feel he is better than what came before him.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:10 AM

1,651 posts, read 871,561 times
Quote:

I would wager most aren't whining. It just helps Western narrative to select a small few and make it seem as though they represent the hole or even a large part of the population. This technique is the reason why many Americans were shocked when they found out we weren't being hailed as "great liberators'." The Taliban won. It's their country and they can do what they please. The only alternative is to run back in there with guns and bombs and kick them out as we tried before, but we see how that turned out. Just move on, the war is over. Also I'm sure releasing the billions in frozen reserves would help to alleviate poverty.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:13 AM

1,651 posts, read 871,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Well the US lead occupation of Afganistan should never been as long. Biden is not just to blame, but previous Presidents who just dragged on the war.
Exactly starting with George Bush's administration terrible decision making. They weaponized public outrage from the 911 attacks, and got us involved in a unwinnable war. At least defense contractors got paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies