Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 01:21 PM

2,380 posts, read 874,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Afghanistan Army and Security Services relied on Bagram Air Base for everything from weapons and annumition to air support, engineering repair, command right through to even being paid.

Biden shut it down overnight, without telling anyone, including the Afghan Army and NATO allies.

The Taliban merely moved down from the hills during what was now fighting season, only to be met be an Afghan Army without an proper leadership or support or even pay, and many Afghan Soldiers simply left to go back to their villages, as they feared for their families.

Biden didn't consult with or even recognise the contribution made by NATO allies, nor did he come up with a strategy for a proper withdrawal.

In response the UK Parliament stated that the Americans had thrown British and NATO forces under the bus, and that Biden had no right to criticise Afghan forces.

These same British politicians now have much more senior roles in Government, and do yoy think they are going to forget the fiasco that was Afghanistan.

Biden's actions were also condemned across Europe, including by Macron and Merkel, whilst Russia under Putin, as well as China and other US enemies, saw a weak America under Biden, which they could take advantage of.

Says a lot that after twenty years they still needed "leadership and support" Just proves the whole affair was a colossal waste of time. money and lives.

I suppose therefore that the US was expected to maintain a permanent presence, even make it a "US Territory" and keep sending young men and women to lose life and limb fighting a bunch of underhanded bustards and act as a permanent nursemaid to the Afghan army.

Biden did right. It was a war belonging to the 20th century and not the 21st and no longer worth the effort

Old 08-18-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You really believe the propaganda don’t you? Biden wouldn’t have gotten out of Afghanistan if he wasn’t forced to by Trump’s deal. I wanted the war to end but a competent withdrawal could have been accomplished. Biden did not do that. Nothing else you say matters. He botched the withdrawal, period.

How would you have handled the withdrawal?

Old 08-18-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Afghanistan Army and Security Services relied on Bagram Air Base for everything from weapons and annumition to air support, engineering repair, command right through to even being paid.

Biden shut it down overnight, without telling anyone, including the Afghan Army and NATO allies.

The Taliban merely moved down from the hills during what was now fighting season, only to be met be an Afghan Army without an proper leadership or support or even pay, and many Afghan Soldiers simply left to go back to their villages, as they feared for their families.

Biden didn't consult with or even recognise the contribution made by NATO allies, nor did he come up with a strategy for a proper withdrawal.

In response the UK Parliament stated that the Americans had thrown British and NATO forces under the bus, and that Biden had no right to criticise Afghan forces.

These same British politicians now have much more senior roles in Government, and do yoy think they are going to forget the fiasco that was Afghanistan.

Biden's actions were also condemned across Europe, including by Macron and Merkel, whilst Russia under Putin, as well as China and other US enemies, saw a weak America under Biden, which they could take advantage of.
It was during a visit to Europe that Trump the Mouth told European leaders that NATO was obsolete. Putin heard that. Nothing to do with Biden

Old 08-18-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’m not going to discuss or elaborate on the vetting issue any further than this statement: your concern is warranted.

Here is an open source product:

https://media.defense.gov/2022/Feb/1...IG-222-065.PDF

Just the Afghan refugee issue alone is enough for me to wish we were still in BAF and KAF keeping the peace as best we can, and those 100,000, give or take a few thousand, were all still in Afghanistan, doing their version of MAGA, Make Afghanistan Great Again.

You would I presume be quite happy if your son or daughter were serving in the military and deployed to Afghanistan for a 12 months tour of duty.... right?. Oh and not to forget, very possible future tours of duty on a rotating basis.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:11 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,589,115 times
"I ran Team Trump’s Afghan withdrawal — Biden’s attempt to blame us is just sad".....

"President Joe Biden has sought to place blame for the shocking dénouement in Afghanistan on the situation he “inherited” from the Trump administration. What a sad-sack attempt at blame-shifting. Team Trump’s withdrawal plan was sound. What proved catastrophic were Biden’s changes to that plan.

I’m intimately familiar with former President Donald Trump’s Afghanistan strategy. In November 2020, I was named chief of staff at the Pentagon, where one of my primary responsibilities was to wind down the forever war in Afghanistan."

https://nypost.com/2021/08/19/i-ran-...ame-us-is-sad/

-------------------------------

Old 08-18-2022, 08:35 PM

417 posts, read 269,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
It was during a visit to Europe that Trump the Mouth told European leaders that NATO was obsolete. Putin heard that. Nothing to do with Biden
Actually he made that statment during his 2016 campaign, but continued with "I don’t mind NATO per se, but it has to be reconstituted, it has to be modernized" where he was referring to fighting terrorism.

President Donald Trump's time in office left NATO stronger, according to the alliance's Baltic states, who sit on the front line of the West's confrontation with President Vladimir Putin's Russia.
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...ronger-1639290

But I am so happy that we supporting NATO now as Germany imports all of that Putin oil.

Biden inherited a long term clusterf*ck that should have never been started by Bush.
Get in and get out!
BUT bipartisan warmongers wanted to "Nation Build" while enriching their campaign treasure chests.
And don't even get me started on how our tax money has/is going to Pakistan even though we all know they fund these terrorist groups.

However, the final withdrawl was FUBAR and it was on Biden's watch therefor he should be accountable regardless politics.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:09 PM

19,883 posts, read 22,793,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Everything you said was false. You really need a better news source. If you even bothered to scan those videos of biden's gaffes most were from other countries like Australia, GB, India etc. They were laughing at biden, not with him. I go with facts, and know that President Trump was greatly respected by many other nations except the ones that leaned left. Germany laughed when President Trump warned them about being too dependent on Russian fuel. But they aren't laughing now.

"Germany Electricity Benchmark Prices Surge over €500 for the First Time Ever — As Natural Gas Also Reach Record Highs"

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-record-highs/
No it's not false. We have European relatives- direct relatives- Uncles, Aunts, cousins etc- they all thought America lost its collective marbles electing a corrupt, lying washed up reality star who bended his knee to tyrants like Putin and 'lil Kim.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:13 PM

19,883 posts, read 22,793,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Allnut View Post
Actually he made that statment during his 2016 campaign, but continued with "I don’t mind NATO per se, but it has to be reconstituted, it has to be modernized" where he was referring to fighting terrorism.

President Donald Trump's time in office left NATO stronger, according to the alliance's Baltic states, who sit on the front line of the West's confrontation with President Vladimir Putin's Russia.
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trum...ronger-1639290

But I am so happy that we supporting NATO now as Germany imports all of that Putin oil.

Biden inherited a long term clusterf*ck that should have never been started by Bush.
Get in and get out!
BUT bipartisan warmongers wanted to "Nation Build" while enriching their campaign treasure chests.
And don't even get me started on how our tax money has/is going to Pakistan even though we all know they fund these terrorist groups.

However, the final withdrawl was FUBAR and it was on Biden's watch therefor he should be accountable regardless politics.
4 administrations deserve blame for the CF that was Afghanistan. That is an undisputed fact.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/08/ti...m-afghanistan/

Quote:
The blame game has begun over who lost Afghanistan.

The fact is, President Joe Biden and his predecessor, Donald Trump, were both eager to withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan and end what Biden referred to in his Aug. 16 speech as “America’s longest war.”

The Trump administration in February 2020 negotiated a withdrawal agreement with the Taliban that excluded the Afghan government, freed 5,000 imprisoned Taliban soldiers and set a date certain of May 1, 2021, for the final withdrawal.

And the Trump administration kept to the pact, reducing U.S. troop levels from about 13,000 to 2,500, even though the Taliban continued to attack Afghan government forces and welcomed al-Qaeda terrorists into the Taliban leadership.

Zabihullah Mujahid, the Taliban spokesman for nearly two decades, appears at a press conference in Kabul, Afghanistan, Aug. 17. (Marcus Yam/Los Angeles Times)
Biden delayed the May 1 withdrawal date that he inherited. But ultimately his administration pushed ahead with a plan to withdraw by Aug. 31, despite obvious signs that the Taliban wasn’t complying with the agreement and had a stated goal to create an “Islamic government” in Afghanistan after the U.S. left, even if it meant it had to “continue our war to achieve our goal.”

Biden assured Americans last month that a Taliban takeover of Afghanistan was “not inevitable,” and denied that U.S. intelligence assessed that the Afghan government would likely collapse. But it did — and quickly.

Here we lay out many of the key diplomatic decisions, military actions, presidential pronouncements and expert assessments of the withdrawal agreement that ended the U.S. military’s 20-year war in Afghanistan — a war that has “taken the lives of nearly 2,500 U.S. servicemen and servicewomen, cost a trillion dollars, and occupied the attention of four presidential administrations,” as the Afghanistan Study Group put it in a February report.
Blood spilled, a trillion wasted over FOUR ADMINISTRATIONS. Epic, epic disaster. I don't lay blame at any one 'politicians' feet. It was an abject disaster right after we defeated Al Queda. Should have never been there that long. Ever.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
No it's not false. We have European relatives- direct relatives- Uncles, Aunts, cousins etc- they all thought America lost its collective marbles electing a corrupt, lying washed up reality star who bended his knee to tyrants like Putin and 'lil Kim.
Just because they think it doesn't make it real. Leftists don't like him because he clashes with their ideology.
Too bad. Remember, facts over feelings.

"As of January 2021

Trump Administration Accomplishments".....

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov...complishments/

-------------------------------------------

Old 08-18-2022, 10:40 PM

14,439 posts, read 14,382,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The very first thing any competent president would do was not close Bagram Airbase before they evacuated everyone. And he would have consulted with his allies and come up with an effective plan for withdrawal as Brave New World said. There is no excuse for the way Biden handled this fiasco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Just because they think it doesn't make it real. Leftists don't like him because he clashes with their ideology.
Too bad. Remember, facts over feelings.

"As of January 2021

Trump Administration Accomplishments".....

https://trumpwhitehouse.archives.gov...complishments/

-------------------------------------------
You amuse me. You have now been told by two separate people who have either been to Europe or have family there what the average European thought about Donald Trump. You don't like what you are hearing, so you just choose to ignore it. You think Trump was a "great president" so you have to construct a narrative where either everyone agrees with that statement or they are a "leftist". This doesn't explain large numbers of republicans who have come forward and criticized Trump. Mitt Romney is a republican senator in my state and he cannot stand Donald Trump. He voted twice to impeach him.

Lots of people here and in Europe felt Trump was a bad President. Its why he lost the election by seven million votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies