Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 06:49 PM

14,471 posts, read 14,430,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
The Vegetable in Chief will provide hours of fun watching this collection of gaffes that go on, and on, and on. He has made America a laughing stock of the world, and put us in grave danger. If anyone thinks he has it all together, and did the right thing in Afghanistan please watch the following. He shouldn't be in charge of a lemonade stand much less the military.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...den%27s+gaffes
Laughingstock? Geez you should go to Europe with me and see how the people there laugh at Trump and wonder how a great country like ours ever elected that fool to office. Many will have nothing to do with you if they find out you voted for Trump. The average European truly despises Trump. On the other hand, they are grateful that Biden has attempted to mend fences and treat them in a respectful way again. Trump truly treated our allies like dirt and sucked up constantly to Putin.

Old 08-17-2022, 10:47 PM

4,186 posts, read 2,600,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Laughingstock? Geez you should go to Europe with me and see how the people there laugh at Trump and wonder how a great country like ours ever elected that fool to office. Many will have nothing to do with you if they find out you voted for Trump. The average European truly despises Trump. On the other hand, they are grateful that Biden has attempted to mend fences and treat them in a respectful way again. Trump truly treated our allies like dirt and sucked up constantly to Putin.
Everything you said was false. You really need a better news source. If you even bothered to scan those videos of biden's gaffes most were from other countries like Australia, GB, India etc. They were laughing at biden, not with him. I go with facts, and know that President Trump was greatly respected by many other nations except the ones that leaned left. Germany laughed when President Trump warned them about being too dependent on Russian fuel. But they aren't laughing now.

"Germany Electricity Benchmark Prices Surge over €500 for the First Time Ever — As Natural Gas Also Reach Record Highs"

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-record-highs/

Old 08-17-2022, 11:31 PM

2,418 posts, read 892,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I don’t blame Biden for getting us into the war (though he did vote for it), but I damn sure blame him for the way we got out of it. He did the same with Iraq when he was VP. The man’s an idiot and has so weakened this country that it may very well lead us into WWIII.
It was George Bush Jnr who made the decision to invade Afghanistan in search of Bin Laden.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Everything you said was false. You really need a better news source. If you even bothered to scan those videos of biden's gaffes most were from other countries like Australia, GB, India etc. They were laughing at biden, not with him. I go with facts, and know that President Trump was greatly respected by many other nations except the ones that leaned left. Germany laughed when President Trump warned them about being too dependent on Russian fuel. But they aren't laughing now.

"Germany Electricity Benchmark Prices Surge over €500 for the First Time Ever — As Natural Gas Also Reach Record Highs"

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-record-highs/
AS far as I remember there was considerable concern over a proposed visit by Trump to the UK which gives you an idea of just how popular he was there.

He damaged his credibility with NATO and for a long time afterwards it was believed that NATO had gone adrift with regard to it's purpose. It was because of this that Putin took the gamble to invade the Ukraine believing that NATO's response would be to turn the other cheek so to speak.

If I was the dude who carried the football for the President I would feel a damn sight more safe with Biden than the unpredictable, delusional Trump

Old 08-18-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
It really is pathetic to hear them repeat the same cliches over and over like a broken record.

I'll add the first gun control legislation in years has passed and been signed into law. Another law recently signed provides money to build computer chip plants here in the USA so that we never have to depend on chips made in foreign countries again. This will ultimately reduce the price of goods like automobiles and trucks. The infrastructure bill allows medicare to do something it should have been allowed to do years ago: Negotiate drug prices with the pharmaceutical industry rather than simply pay what they were asking. This act alone will reduce drug prices in the USA.

Biden is not a perfect president and I have questions of my own over the withdrawal from Afghanistan. However, what I am tired of are "trumpbot" conservatives who view any action by Biden as a mistake--no matter what it is. At some point, I just tune them out.
Right on

I would like to hear though from all the fireside Generals on how exactly the withdrawal should have been handled. There were bound to be thousands and thousands of Afghans heading to Kabul airport, desperate to leave. That situation, like the last days in Vietnam was unavoidable. Many did not reach the airport, stopped by the Taliban and turned back so it could have been even more chaotic.

The US and the rest of the coalition had to leave. I couldn't see the US, Britain and other Forces staying on any longer. It was well overdue in fact. Despite all the money and military aid provided over almost 20 years it was plain that all that had been created was a rotten, corrupt and weak entity that collapsed like a house of cards when the withdrawal date was finally known.

Anyway it provides Trump's ranting puppets Hannity and Carlson with enough propaganda to last awhile and keep their followers from finding out about any of the achievements under the Biden admin. you mention above

Old 08-18-2022, 02:28 AM

641 posts, read 336,202 times
I hope that the people who are so honestly upset about our Afghan allies "abandoned by that mean old Joe Brandon" and talking about our damaged credibility/reputation on the world stage were just as upset about our betrayal of the Kurds in Syria three years ago.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:25 AM

27,484 posts, read 13,708,200 times
Quote:
I recently visited the Imperial War Museum on a recent trip to London. Perhaps, for this reason I respect information that comes from the IWM. I'm linking to some content from them that states after 2014, the British role in Afghanistan was quite small and unimportant.

Really, if Britain was doing nothing more in 2021 than training some Afghan forces they have scant moral authority to question the US withdrawal.

All US Forces and NATO forces moved from Combat Operations to Resolute Support, as of the 1st January 2015.

How many times do I have to tell you thins and provide links.

The UK lost 636 Service Personnel during the US led War on Terror, which is just about more than the rest of Europe combined.

There were also thousands of British personnel horrible maimed and left with life changing injuries.

So to infer that the British were somehow cowards, just demonstrates the need for Britain and other countries to stay out of future US led conflicts, given that some Americans have short memories and enjoy rewriting history.

British Army - Combat Operations - Operation Herrick - Wikipedia

British Army - Support Operation as part of NATO Resolute Support - Operation Toral - Wikipedia

British military operation to evacuate British nationals - Operation Pitting - Wikipedia

As for Iraq, the British Operation was - Operation Telic - Wikipedia

Later Operations against the Muslim Caliphate in Iraq, related to Operation Shader - Operation Shader - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-18-2022 at 03:47 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
The war may have been won in the field in 2014 but the Taliban just went into a sort of hibernation, laying low in the towns and villages and biding their time.

Meanwhile we poured billions of dollars into equipping the "New Afghanistan Army" and training them to fight. We also thought that we had replaced the Taliban with a "progressive, democratic pro-western government" favourable to women and girls rights.

There was a high casualty rate among US Troops. Many of them were rotated time after time to Afghanistan, many losing limbs as well as lives thru roadside bombs and sneak bomb attacks, or suffering from PTSD

Obama wanted out of Afghanistan, reduced numbers of troops by a few thousand. Trump wanted out, further reduced troop numbers. The great majority of the American public wanted out and it became a political thing. Trump planned to withdraw all troops even earlier than Biden did.

By the time Biden pulled out it had all become a big joke. The Taliban had already gained control of nearly all the towns and villages and were preparing to take on the Afghan Army.

The President fled the country soon after, the Afghan Army collapsed a couple of weeks later. Some achievment to be chalked up after 20 years of our involvement !!! ha ha ha

All that military equipment left behind and which the anti-Biden faction keep harping on about will be scrap metal in five years anyway. There will be no spare parts available, they have no idea how to maintain or repair such complex equipment and they'll just keep on cannibalizing for parts until it's all good for the scrap yard.

The Afghans dont want our western culture and never will. There are areas of our democracy that are completely alien to them. I feel sorry for the women. The young, less brainwashed may have seen a glimmer of hope at one time but Afghan men even not affiliated with the Taliban have no wish or desire to enfranchise women into the society. The status quo works well for them
The Afghanistan Army and Security Services relied on Bagram Air Base for everything from weapons and annumition to air support, engineering repair, command right through to even being paid.

Biden shut it down overnight, without telling anyone, including the Afghan Army and NATO allies.

The Taliban merely moved down from the hills during what was now fighting season, only to be met be an Afghan Army without an proper leadership or support or even pay, and many Afghan Soldiers simply left to go back to their villages, as they feared for their families.

Biden didn't consult with or even recognise the contribution made by NATO allies, nor did he come up with a strategy for a proper withdrawal.

In response the UK Parliament stated that the Americans had thrown British and NATO forces under the bus, and that Biden had no right to criticise Afghan forces.

These same British politicians now have much more senior roles in Government, and do yoy think they are going to forget the fiasco that was Afghanistan.

Biden's actions were also condemned across Europe, including by Macron and Merkel, whilst Russia under Putin, as well as China and other US enemies, saw a weak America under Biden, which they could take advantage of.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:58 AM

Btw, US Military weapons that were left behind in Afghanistan are now showing up in other countries including Pakistan and India (Kashmir) much to the annoyance of the Indian Government. The same Indian Government, the US is trying to win over, as part of a global power strategy aimed at countering Russia and China.

The US is also contradicting itself in relation to Taiwan (and the one nation policy), and given the US didn't have the appetite to keep the peace in Afghanistan, a massive war with China seems to be just US bluster. Whilst US actions in Iraq just led to the rise of an Islamic Caliphate across the region and war in Syria, and just further destabilised the middle east, whilst the Taliban are now in a stronger position than they were before the US led campaign in Afghanistan.

US Foreign policy seems to be very short term, with not enough emphasis on the bigger picture or future impact of US actions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-y5JZb_E4A

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-18-2022 at 05:14 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 05:19 AM

21,519 posts, read 10,647,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
It was George Bush Jnr who made the decision to invade Afghanistan in search of Bin Laden.
Yes I know, but that doesn’t excuse Joe Biden’s incompetent withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies