Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 07:14 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times

Advertisements

A federal judge ordered an injunction today to stop enforcement of Arizona's recently passed law making it a crime to video police within 8 feet. The state and county agencies that were sued by the media to stop enforcement indicated that they will NOT try to defend the law. That includes the state attorney general. Looks like it is dead.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...et/8035972001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 07:24 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,394,840 times
8 feet is not a huge distance. You should probably stay 8 feet away away from an arrest, anyway.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:30 PM

7,364 posts, read 3,824,451 times
If not for the imbeciles hoping to capture the latest and greatest TikTok video, this would not be a problem.

It's one thing to document from a distance, but some of these idiots get within arm's-length of the cops, which is never a good idea when they are making an arrest, because now they have to worry about getting sucker punched by a dirt bag posing as a "journalist."

Old 09-09-2022, 07:37 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,141,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
8 feet is not a huge distance. You should probably stay 8 feet away away from an arrest, anyway.

Yeah, probably. That's a separate consideration from whether or not it ought to be a crime to merely video record. I suspect there's already statutes on the books clearly defining what would constitute impeding or obstruction, however, that would likely obviate the need for this new would-be law. If not, there should be. For example, if you're recording and insert yourself into a situation in such a way so as to unreasonably disrupt and/or prevent (whether intentionally or not) an officer in the course of executing their official duties from doing so, then I'm happy to side with law enforcement in most circumstances. Recording in and of itself of course doesn't do that, though. It's a tough line to draw, and the individual recording should exercise sufficient care to not create or exacerbate a dangerous situation. On the other hand, LEOs who simply don't like being recorded should find another line of work.

TLDR; Cops shouldn't behave like tyrants, and civilians shouldn't behave like professional agitators simply on the basis that doing so may often be technically legal.

Old 09-09-2022, 07:40 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times
I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.
And I’ll be right there videoing the whole mess if I think something fishy is going down.
The ability to stream or record abusive police practices has been a game changer.
It ups everyone’s game.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:10 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
And I’ll be right there videoing the whole mess if I think something fishy is going down.
The ability to stream or record abusive police practices has been a game changer.
It ups everyone’s game.
Much closer that 8 feet you might get hurt by the criminal.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:29 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Much closer that 8 feet you might get hurt by the criminal.
I’ll take my chances.
I’ve seen too much from the passenger seat.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:33 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
It ups everyone’s game.
Exactly. The law was made to allow cops to just claim that anyone was too close and arrest them. Then destroy the phone that the footage was on, or just delete it. It was made to abuse and discourage catching egregious behavior.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:35 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
If not for the imbeciles hoping to capture the latest and greatest TikTok video, this would not be a problem.

It's one thing to document from a distance, but some of these idiots get within arm's-length of the cops, which is never a good idea when they are making an arrest, because now they have to worry about getting sucker punched by a dirt bag posing as a "journalist."
You guys do not get it? A cop who doesn't want to be recorded just has to walk within 8 feet of the citizen doing so and boom! - instant arrest, footage confiscated, and we're sorry he fell down the steps in prison.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:37 PM

13,753 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post

An officer is making an arrest they can't have the public moving in too close. They've got to stand back.

In any event the law regarding filming was tossed and unlikely to return

Last edited by john3232; 09-09-2022 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies