Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 05:27 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,121,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Absolutely. That is the worst part of it. We need more nurses.

The roadblock to creating more doctors, is in the medicare funded residency positions, which requires increased government spending to create more doctors. But I have no idea why we have such a hard time overcoming a nursing shortage. It seems as simple as opening more nursing schools or importing more nurses. Maybe I'm missing something?
I don’t understand it either. My mother was an RN when I was growing up and she was always talking about a nursing shortage. She chose to work in hospice as an LPN, then home health and for an insurance company. The community colleges around me all have two year programs, bridge programs, and the universities have bachelors programs. These cost the same as any other degree program but they do have to do clinicals. I don’t see how that would be a barrier more than in any other field that requires it, though. I just know this “nurse shortage” has been going on for like 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 05:59 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,969,646 times
Quote:

The roadblock to creating more doctors, is in the medicare funded residency positions, which requires increased government spending to create more doctors. But I have no idea why we have such a hard time overcoming a nursing shortage. It seems as simple as opening more nursing schools or importing more nurses. Maybe I'm missing something?
Finding nurse 'professors' is an issue because nurses ... want to provide patient care. They don't want to teach.

This limits the opportunities for students.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:05 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Then they should become travel nurses. My brother is a travel ER doc. He's rarely "home". Being a travel nurse requires sacrifices that deserves additional compensation.
The travel nurse gig is pretty much fizzled out.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:05 AM

36,606 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
That didn't answer my question.

They care about patient safety supposedly, yet they have 3 days to play activist, while patients are suffering in hospitals for those 3 days w/ out nurses to care for them.
Not their responsibility. They are paid by the hospital not the patients. Just like any other job, teachers, police, fast food workers.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:15 AM

18,483 posts, read 15,285,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
The travel nurse gig is pretty much fizzled out.
Maybe in your area. In my area, there is a constant flow of travel nurses. In fact, there are so many hospitals in need in this area, you can be a travel nurse and never have to travel.

We have travel nurses who live here, and they tell me that they have a steady supply of work, all within an hour's drive from their homes. And this has been going on for years.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:19 AM

18,483 posts, read 15,285,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
You are missing additional qualified educators...they do not exist today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Finding nurse 'professors' is an issue because nurses ... want to provide patient care. They don't want to teach.

This limits the opportunities for students.
OK. Thanks. I didn't know that.

How about importing nurses from other countries like we used to do back in the nursing shortages in the 70s and 80s?

Old 09-15-2022, 08:17 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,888,793 times
Quote:

Q. What were the big findings of the November 2021 Hospital IQ survey of U.S. hospital nurses?

A. Hospital IQ surveyed more than 200 registered nurses working in U.S. hospitals to gain better insight into, and a deeper understanding of, the nursing shortage and the impact it's having on frontline nurses, hospitals, care delivery and patients. As one might expect given the breadth of the current healthcare staff crisis in this country, the results were both alarming and illuminating.

Key findings included:

Nurses are thinking about leaving, and the pandemic isn't solely to blame. Ninety percent of respondents are considering leaving the nursing profession in the next year, with 71% of nurses that have more than 15 years of nursing experience thinking about leaving as soon as possible or within the next few months. Seventy-two percent of respondents said they were experiencing nurse burnout long before the pandemic.

As staff shortages increase, so do the workloads of active nurses. Forty-three percent confirmed that due to a shortage of technicians in their hospitals, they are now tasked with even more things outside of their respective roles, including cleaning units, procuring supplies and clerical duties as part of their typical workload. Due to these increasing job demands and added burden, Thirty-nine percent of nurse respondents said they were experiencing more serious mental health issues, like anxiety or depression, as a result.

https://www.healthcareitnews.com/new...sion-next-year

This is from a survey taken 10 months ago. It looks like we are seeing the results play out now. And seeing how their workload has increased due to staff shortages, who can blame them for leaving the profession?

Old 09-15-2022, 08:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,735,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Second quote answers the first. It’s not “just three days” for the people needing medical attention during that time span.
The patients were not without care. The hospitals had plenty of notice and management and traveling nurses filled in. Given that they're trying to improve overall quality of care for patients, it amazes me that they're being called selfish for trying to call attention to a dangerous situation.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,514,081 times
Hospital management is paid to manage the business,if the workers go on strike,they should know it is coming and manage the situation.
The patients pay the hospital,not the nurses

Old 09-15-2022, 01:39 PM

4,612 posts, read 6,390,942 times
Quote:
OK. Thanks. I didn't know that.

How about importing nurses from other countries like we used to do back in the nursing shortages in the 70s and 80s?
There are lots of foreign nurses working in the US, but there is an expectation of patients to be treated by a US citizen with a good command of the english language while in a US hospital.

Strained US hospitals seek foreign nurses amid visa windfall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies