Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 05:08 AM

3,113 posts, read 939,583 times

Advertisements

Approved in the early 90s, and once hailed as a “game changer”, the research as finally coming out that they barely work better than a placebo with many more side effects and withdrawal symptoms

Quote:
By 2015, Dr. Turner had left the agency for academia. He conducted a review of the publication status of 74 studies involving 12 antidepressant agents with 12,564 patients and found that the drugs beat the placebo in only 51 percent of the studies in the FDA files—an outcome that was not reflected in the published medical literature at the time. Of 33 studies that had negative or questionable results, 22 were never published and 11 were published in a way that falsely conveyed a positive outcome, wrote Dr. Turner in the New England Journal of Medicine. Even though half of the trial had failed, 94 percent of the published trials reported positive trial results. The full scope of this disconnect has only recently come into public view.
https://www.newsweek.com/2022/09/30/...656.html?amp=1

Old 09-28-2022, 05:25 AM

1,602 posts, read 868,226 times
I really question any drug that alters brain chemistry and I hate SSRIs most of all. Everyone I've known that was on one had significant side effects. I'm sure someone will come along to this thread and be like "I've been on them successfully for 20 years with no ill effects" and good for them, but I discourage people from taking them. Therapy and learning good coping mechanisms while leaving your brain alone is much, much better in my opinion.

A slightly different topic, but we put kids on way to many brain chemistry altering drugs these days. I know a young man who, like many young men in this modern age had depression and moodiness and was put on SSRIs. He also loooooves THC vaping. I really fear that as he hits middle age he'll end up a raving paranoid loon, and I wonder how many more out there are like him...time bombs waiting to go off.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:00 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,774 times
I tend to agree with the OP. I heard someone who has a lot of knowledge on the subject say that we are still in the dark ages when it comes to mental heath treatment.

One thing I will add, the human body can take a lot of punishment. We are way more resilient than many people realize.

As far as the long term effects, who knows? 30+ years ago they warned us about the "Crack babies". No one knows for certain.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:29 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,112,746 times
These medications function by retaining serotonin in the brain resulting in a decrease in depressive symptoms. These symptoms can be mild or fatal in the event of suicide. For decades mental illness and depressive disorders were framed as a problem with the individual and patients were often shunned, exposed to a variety of terrible treatments to "remove" the cause. Religious "exorcisms" of demons, brain "surgeries" and a variety of witch doctor "cures" existed and were common.

Throughout this time the American Medical Assn posited that depression was an illness and this viewpoint was substantiated by research which revealed that maintaining a higher level of serotonin in the human brain worked well to alleviate severe symptoms of depression. They were and are a game changer.

All medications have side effects and some are mild and can be severe. If one is depressed, these can be highly effective. A poster here cited education, coping mechanisms and talking therapy as helpful. They are correct and with or without the medication, these efforts can alleviate many symptoms and In doing so give the person coping skills and strengthening of the person themselves. These, and all other medications should not be taken in the absence of talk therapy in my viewpoint.

Bear in mind also that these medications can take up to eight weeks to begin working. If you are in trouble, crying, loss of interest in daily activities which used to make you happy, or lack of sleep or appetite you should speak with someone now. Depression is a very serious illness and must be handled quickly and without delay.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:31 AM

17,431 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
These medications function by retaining serotonin in the brain resulting in a decrease in depressive symptoms. These symptoms can be mild or fatal in the event of suicide. For decades mental illness and depressive disorders were framed as a problem with the individual and patients were often shunned, exposed to a variety of terrible treatments to "remove" the cause. Religious "exorcisms" of demons, brain "surgeries" and a variety of witch doctor "cures" existed and were common.

Throughout this time the American Medical Assn posited that depression was an illness and this viewpoint was substantiated by research which revealed that maintaining a higher level of serotonin in the human brain worked well to alleviate severe symptoms of depression. They were and are a game changer.

All medications have side effects and some are mild and can be severe. If one is depressed, these can be highly effective. A poster here cited education, coping mechanisms and talking therapy as helpful. They are correct and with or without the medication, these efforts can alleviate many symptoms and In doing so give the person coping skills and strengthening of the person themselves. These, and all other medications should not be taken in the absence of talk therapy in my viewpoint.

Bear in mind also that these medications can take up to eight weeks to begin working. If you are in trouble, crying, loss of interest in daily activities which used to make you happy, or lack of sleep or appetite you should speak with someone now. Depression is a very serious illness and must be handled quickly and without delay.
Zero evidence that low serotonin causes depression.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Zero evidence that low serotonin causes depression.

Not only is there "evidence" but millions of anecdotal patient responses endorse their effectiveness. Below is a brief summary of one.

Please don't argue this. This is fact, not opinion.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...65032721011290

Old 09-28-2022, 06:49 AM

17,431 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Not only is there "evidence" but millions of anecdotal patient responses endorse their effectiveness. Below is a brief summary of one.

Please don't argue this. This is fact, not opinion.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...65032721011290

There is zero evidence. Zero. It is not a "fact".

You just posted a link that combines SSRIs with therapy.

https://www.contemporaryclinic.com/v...-low-serotonin

Quote:
Researchers have found no clear evidence that serotonin levels or activity cause depression, according to a review of prior research published in Molecular Psychiatry.

The findings suggest that depression is most likely not caused by a chemical imbalance, calling into question how antidepressants work and what they do, according to the study authors. Most antidepressants are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which were believed to work by correcting low serotonin levels. According to the study, there is no other accepted pharmacological mechanism by which antidepressants affect symptoms of depression.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:52 AM

7,370 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
If you are in trouble, crying, loss of interest in daily activities which used to make you happy, or lack of sleep or appetite you should speak with someone now.
If you're a man in your 50s or older with the above symptoms, I'd get a testosterone level test before I saw the shrink.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
There is zero evidence. Zero. It is not a "fact".

You just posted a link that combines SSRIs with therapy.

https://www.contemporaryclinic.com/v...-low-serotonin
NiH vs. some alternative rag. Good choice.You could "read" the article which dispute your prejudice.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
If you're a man in your 50s or older with the above symptoms, I'd get a testosterone level test before I saw the shrink.
In combination that would be appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies