Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 12:22 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,750,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That’s not true. There are good doctors. This is why the push is bad for people. It causes people to assume and they might be wrong.
I did say there were good minority doctors, reread my post. We have no choice but to assume none of them got through the system on their merit when it could be a matter of life or death, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 12:27 PM

43,116 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I did say there were good minority doctors, reread my post. We have no choice but to assume none of them got through the system on their merit when it could be a matter of life or death, imo.
AA always makes you think twice....did they get there because of their skin color or their brain ?

Old 10-01-2022, 12:33 PM

21,140 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Title should say "Soon to be ex-UPenn medical school professor...."

Old 10-01-2022, 12:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
The reality is, affirmative-action and all of its race-based offshoots are here to stay.

Do I think using race to decide who gets into medical-school is a good idea, NOPE.

But I am a realist, the massive outcry if race-based programs are done-away with......so they will remain.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:34 PM

25,749 posts, read 18,818,821 times
It's lowering the standards and corrupting many professional fields. When bridges start falling, buildings caving in, airplanes falling from the sky, people dying because of what used to be routine medical procedures, etc, folks might start waking up. Maybe.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:58 PM

3,336 posts, read 2,140,399 times
Like I said to my wife, there's a reason why no sane parent rushes their severely sick and/or injured child into an ER screaming, "HELP! PLEASE! GIVE US THE WORST DOCTOR IN THE HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY!"

Unfortunately for otherwise rational people, the deranged far-left — in concert with the government gun, universities, and the media — are doing their level best to facilitate as much suffering and death as they can muster, and as quickly as possible.

Old 10-01-2022, 01:09 PM

43,116 posts, read 18,281,341 times
The Civil Rights movement happened in the 60's and got rid of institutional racism giving EVERYONE equal opportunity.

And here we are 50+ years later.

Old 10-02-2022, 10:32 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
At some point we're going to have to grab the bull by the horns and admit that not all people or groups are equal, and that those words in the Declaration of Independence were hollow (as if the slaves owned by the writers didn't underline that already), and that the politics of modernity are just as riven with contradictions and falsehoods as premodern beliefs.

Because by arguing against affirmative action you are arguing for permanent class differences between various groups. By arguing for affirmative action you are arguing for permanent group-based discrimination. That's the painful reality. No option here is good, and the problem won't just go away.

You can argue that equal processes are the goal not equal outcomes. That's a pretty heady argument to make to the person stuck in generational poverty. They only see that others have more and will always have more.

In the end we'll have to abandon some of the noble lies that make America America, and accept that class is WAY more permanent than anyone wants to admit, and some groups stay at the top, however you want to slice it, while other groups are stuck at the bottom.

In any case, even if you could convince all groups to intermarry such that everyone blended and became similar and there were no more visible group differences, there would still be class at the individual level and those at the bottom would find a new identity to rally around.

Bottom line nature requires both diversity and selection to proceed. Everyone can't be the same, which is how everyone ends up the same. Hierarchy is part of nature, and it's hubristic to think we can abolish it because we find it repugnant.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:04 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
The reality is, affirmative-action and all of its race-based offshoots are here to stay.

Do I think using race to decide who gets into medical-school is a good idea, NOPE.

But I am a realist, the massive outcry if race-based programs are done-away with......so they will remain.
Considering the same programs existed when I went to med school in 1972, I'd say that they must be 'here to stay'.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:05 PM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
These "equity" movements are pure racism and the end result is poor quality graduates (if they graduate.)
Patients are going to have to start demanding to see school transcripts and references before being treated by these affirmative action "doctors".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies