Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2022, 08:14 AM

3,112 posts, read 946,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I have no problem with you doing what you feel is right for you. I have no problem with you describing what you believe is right for you.

Many of your posts, however, are bordering on giving medical advice over the internet to strangers when you know nothing of their medical history. That can be very harmful.

BTW the last time I visited my doc, she mentioned that she had been reviewing my chart the night before to analyze my situation. Maybe you have never had a good, conscientious doctor like I have.
There are countless threads and posters recommending people get vaccines. I have never seen you take issue with these and yet they amount to more or less what I'm doing.

We are all adults. I'm just providing information.

I'm anti-modern medicine due to my own experiences. My personal experience dates to a motorcycle accident where one of the leading surgeons in his area wanted to do a shoulder arthroplasty. Told me I could never lift heavy again with that shoulder. Even yelled at me when I challenged him.

Well, I didn't listen. And for many years, my shoulder would randomly dislocate, but today it doesn't and I can do a military press @ 1 rep @ 225 lbs and I weigh 180-190lbs.

Much less invasive (though in the long run more expensive) experimental stem cell therapies, peptide treatments, and exercise [the most important] did far better than the conventional wisdom of very invasive surgery.

You have sometimes 1 shot at getting things right.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:27 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,021,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
There are countless threads and posters recommending people get vaccines. I have never seen you take issue with these and yet they amount to more or less what I'm doing.

We are all adults. I'm just providing information.

I'm anti-modern medicine due to my own experiences. My personal experience dates to a motorcycle accident where one of the leading surgeons in his area wanted to do a shoulder arthroplasty. Told me I could never lift heavy again with that shoulder. Even yelled at me when I challenged him.

Well, I didn't listen. And for many years, my shoulder would randomly dislocate, but today it doesn't and I can do a military press @ 1 rep @ 225 lbs and I weigh 180-190lbs.

Much less invasive (though in the long run more expensive) experimental stem cell therapies, peptide treatments, and exercise [the most important] did far better than the conventional wisdom of very invasive surgery.

You have sometimes 1 shot at getting things right.
I have no problem with you sharing your personal experience.

As long as you don't tell others to avoid surgery at all costs.

Do you see the difference?

Old 10-10-2022, 08:39 AM

19,807 posts, read 10,247,118 times
Any time a Dr. prescribes a new medicine, research it on your own. A DR. seeing 3000 or more patients may not have the time to keep up on the latest research. A couple times I was prescribed meds that were not safe to be taken with some I was already on. It happens. Checking the med out may tell you what side effects are possible, so at least you know what to expect.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Any time a Dr. prescribes a new medicine, research it on your own. A DR. seeing 3000 or more patients may not have the time to keep up on the latest research. A couple times I was prescribed meds that were not safe to be taken with some I was already on. It happens. Checking the med out may tell you what side effects are possible, so at least you know what to expect.
Yes, I agree. I always research new meds before taking them. And I read the physician's info on the meds even if some of it is incomprehensible. The sections they give for patients generally don't tell you much.

Drugs.com is one good source.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I have no problem with you sharing your personal experience.

As long as you don't tell others to avoid surgery at all costs.

Do you see the difference?
This just came onto my feed: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...pital-mistakes

Quote:
Martha was 13; her whole life stretched out ahead of her. But our faith in doctors turned out to be fatal. This is what I wish I’d known
Linked to me from MedPage: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti..._Update_active

Quote:
Merope Mills, an editor for The Guardian, is aggressively fighting the "doctor knows best" mentality after her daughter's preventable death from sepsis. (BBC)
Also linked:

Quote:
Pregnancy complications spiked during the pandemic, but the reason remains unclear. (Washington Post)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...a-stillbirths/

"no one knows why" lol. I think we all can imagine why.

Moving on,

The study I linked to on colonoscopy last night making the rounds on MedPage this morning:

Quote:
They found that the number needed to invite to undergo screening to prevent one case of colorectal cancer was 455 (95% CI 270-1,429), according to the findings in the New England Journal of Medicine, which were also presented at United European Gastroenterology Week 2022.

No significant difference was seen for death from colorectal cancer, at 0.28% in the invited group and 0.31% in the usual-care group (RR 0.90, 95% CI 0.64-1.16), while the risk for death from any cause over the study period was nearly identical (11.03% and 11.04%, respectively).
https://www.medpagetoday.com/hematol..._Update_active

Which was my analysis. For some reason that thread was locked, but I gave you the scoop before anyone else!

Old 10-10-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I would always challenge a Doc when they prescribe you a medicine. Ask why you need it. Don't accept right away, do your own research if you need to, then come back and ask pointed questions.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:56 AM

Mr Doom and Gloom strikes again.

It's one thing to present new information. It is quite another to be telling people to not take a test or not take a particular drug.

You still don't see the difference.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
It's one thing to present new information. It is quite another to be telling people to not take a test or not take a particular drug.

You still don't see the difference.
Have you, either on this forum or in real life, told or recommended to someone to get a COVID vaccine?

Since you like to call people who refuse the vaccines, "anti-vaxxers", without knowing their personal medical history, somehow I think you have!

Old 10-10-2022, 09:17 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,378,377 times
The conspiracy theories over vaccines spread on GLP are so over the top as to make the whole movement look ridiculous in my opinion. I've told them that Trump authorized mRNA vaccines by fast tracking them via operation warp speed. I show them the footage of Trump saying the vaccines are safe, that he is boosted, they carry on with their cognitive dissonance in insisting everyone who got the vax is going to die while they continue to cheerlead for Trump. It's quite amusing actually. They'll say Trump, Biden, or whoever all got saline shots. Their circular logic cannot be debated in any way.

I support Trump somewhat, and I also got my bivalent booster a few weeks ago. I've decided with my extensive science interest and digging that the vaccine conspiracy theorists aren't necessarily wrong, but they totally overstate the risks of the vaccines while ignoring the greatly increased risks of a covid infection. They are caught in their echo chambers and see what they want to see. The facts suggest otherwise...

"A study out of Hong Kong suggests people are 47 times more likely to have a heart attack within four weeks of COVID infection than within four weeks of COVID vaccination"

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...study/3796641/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GC86EhnpiQ

I have no problem with people not getting the vaccine,but I've gone through the articles the vaccine conspiracy theorists publish, and no longer consider them a reliable source of information. The elite aren't always trying to kill you. Mostly they are more corrupt than anything.

That said, the left will never give Trump credit for fast tracking the vaccines. They are too stuck in their own cult-like echo chambers to see beyond their religious indoctrination to their woke ideologies.

Last edited by sholomar; 10-10-2022 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-10-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Have you, either on this forum or in real life, told or recommended to someone to get a COVID vaccine?

Since you like to call people who refuse the vaccines, "anti-vaxxers", without knowing their personal medical history, somehow I think you have!
No I have never told someone else to get or avoid a COVID vaccine.

As to my comment about you being an anti-vaxxer, I am remembering a past post of yours about childhood vaccines not being needed.

I remember the days when all we had was a smallpox vaccine. Children died back then of the diseases that are now prevented with vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies