Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 03:28 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Like any study, you would have to look at all the studies. There are decades of studies on this subject and they all show similar findings.

Pain meds are just one example. It is also what kind of treatment is prescribed and how aggressive it might or might not be. Infant and maternal mortality is another area where there is a lot of disparate outcome based on race due in part to socio economic factors, but also medical bias.

With pain meds, it is less about dosage than about whether or not the meds are administered at all or how frequently.

There have been studies that show 40% of 1st/2nd year med students think black skin is thicker than white skin.

https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/h...-patients-pain

Similar findings when it comes to black people feeling pain differently or their blood coagulating differently.
That study is a bit of a mess. It was a survey of medical students and residents who were given a bunch of statements and then asked to rate them on this convoluted and confusing scale:

1 = Definitely untrue
2 = Probably untrue
3 = Possibly untrue
4 = Possibly true
5 = Probably true
6 = Definitely true

I wouldn't even know where to begin with applying that scale to anything.

Are we having burgers for dinner? Um ... true or untrue? Possibly probably definitely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 04:05 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
That study is a bit of a mess. It was a survey of medical students and residents who were given a bunch of statements and then asked to rate them on this convoluted and confusing scale:

1 = Definitely untrue
2 = Probably untrue
3 = Possibly untrue
4 = Possibly true
5 = Probably true
6 = Definitely true

I wouldn't even know where to begin with applying that scale to anything.

Are we having burgers for dinner? Um ... true or untrue? Possibly probably definitely?
Seriously rofl.

Black people's skin is thicker than white peoples and people who want to be doctors don't know the correct answer?

Ditto for how sensitive their nerve endings are.

Or whether their blood is the same shade of red as white people's.

Get out.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:37 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Bias training and Sexual Harassment training has been around for many decades.
The difference today is that is is predicated on “all white people are racists”.

Normal people think that is insulting and it’s especially wrong to attempt to teach children that “if you are white, it means you are a racist “.
As we see in LA with their Racist La-tinx city council. We know that Leftist Democrats are fos. And yes plenty of blacks can be extremely racist too.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:58 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Seriously rofl.

Black people's skin is thicker than white peoples and people who want to be doctors don't know the correct answer?

Ditto for how sensitive their nerve endings are.

Or whether their blood is the same shade of red as white people's.

Get out.
You think it's funny? Casting an entire profession as racists off a Likert crap scale questionnaire of residents and medical students? I hope those med schools and rotations were given the results. Because the questionnaire is moronic.

Probably, possibly definitely? Probably yes, possibly no, possibly yes, definitely something er other.

I understand you are trying to make a point, but that "study" is crap. It didn't even poll MDs. Find a poll of 45 year old+ MDs who are actively working.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
You think it's funny? Casting an entire profession as racists off a Likert crap scale questionnaire of residents and medical students? I hope those med schools and rotations were given the results. Because the questionnaire is moronic.

Probably, possibly definitely? Probably yes, possibly no, possibly yes, definitely something er other.

I understand you are trying to make a point, but that "study" is crap. It didn't even poll MDs. Find a poll of 45 year old+ MDs who are actively working.
Rant all you want.

There are decades worth of studies showing bias in medical treatment.

No possibly , possibly definely, probably yes or other wise.

The fact you deny this is interesting. I can only conclude you have your own bias.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:20 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Until you get an accusation against you and HR rolls out your training where they proved you were a racist.
That doesn't happen. The training doesn't prove anyone is a racist, it explains the concepts of implicit bias and how to deal with them so you don't annoy a customer/patient/fellow worker by saying something that you didn't know was offensive. I've taken several of these classes over the years, and not once did they make the claim that all whites are racists.

Edit to add that none of the classes made us take a test. We saw some videos, had some discussions, learned something about bias and went on our way. The classes all had multiple races in them. White, Black, Hispanic(not a race, but it's a defined group), Asians of various types, etc.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:23 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Again, not understanding what the bias training is supposed to accomplish.

My company understood immediately why it was a bad idea.

Which is why I didn't;t have to take it.

When HR pushes for all minority hires and then basically records that all current white employees are racists .. what scenario do you see playing out?
HR doesn't push for all minority hires. That's ridiculous. HR doesn't claim that all current white employees are racists, and that's ridiculous too. In the extremely unlikely event that actually happened, it was a rogue HR employee being an idiot.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:24 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Rant all you want.

The fact you deny this is interesting. I can only conclude you have your own bias.
Decades worth? How many decades would that be? Going back into the fifties and sixties I'm sure one might find discrimination, depending on where one looks. I can't speak much for ER but doctors surgeries I have witnessed and saw no such discrimination. I do know about different area hospitals serving different demographics being different, as in sub-standard. Ever heard of having to take someone out of hospital in order to save their life? He died in the end anyway but not from starvation. Ever heard of having to take your own bedding to hospital? And patients' relying on family to bring them food? I had forgotten about that. Different country by the way. Nothing to do with bias though.

Anyway, can you point us to these 'decades of studies'?

Old 10-13-2022, 08:26 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 9 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,235 times
Quote:
Rant all you want.

Yep; usually I think the woke stuff goes too far, but the hospital treatment issue is legitimate. (I'll even mention that my current workplace is doing some thing that advantages black people, and I'm abstaining as I've done well by my own bootstraps, and will continue to do so).

Old 10-13-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
HR doesn't push for all minority hires. That's ridiculous. HR doesn't claim that all current white employees are racists, and that's ridiculous too. In the extremely unlikely event that actually happened, it was a rogue HR employee being an idiot.
Thank you.

There is no way hospitals could survive with only minority hires. Numerically impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies