Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 06:10 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Would a criminal be able to determine all this in advance? I doubt it. I can think of one house in my area where I'm sure there are no guns and it is known to be such. It has never been burglarized -- nuns live there!

The fallacy here is that guns are the be all and end all of self-defense. Sometimes dogs can work wonders -- they are a great deterrent to keep folks out of your house.

As a hunter I can imagine just what it means to shoot a human being inside your home. You want to avoid that.
"The fallacy here is that guns are the be all and end all of self-defense."
I think YOU are the ONLY one claiming that!

" Sometimes dogs"

You do know dogs can be shot. If a silencer is used you would never hear the shot.

"As a hunter I can imagine just what it means to shoot a human being inside your home."

After doing 2 tours in 'Nam, I wouldn't hesitate a second and with no bad afterthoughts!

And I was a hunter also.

Don't understand what being a hunter has to do with it.

How do you think you would fell if bad guys with guns broke into your home and did bad things to your wife and kids with you watching and you were useless to stop them?

11 year old little GIRLS have shot and killed armed bad guys attempting to break into their homes.

What if they were NOT armed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 06:12 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
That's why some gun lock laws make no sense. You can't remove a lock in an emergency.

More people shoot friend or relatives (or the upstairs tenant) than defend themselves from lawbreakers with guns. The gun lobby oversells the home protection issue.

In NC this week, an upstairs tenant was killed by a gun fired in a downstairs domestic dispute. In Chicago two years ago, a cop shot an on-looker in the head who was peeping out a door to see the hubbub and the bullet missed the intended target. I have a friend in VA who found a round in her clothes hamper after the person in the next townhouse was cleaning his pistol!

In the McDonald case SCOTUS never seemed to consider that he could have bought a coach gun instead of a pistol and such gun would not kill someone across the street.
Surely you have the statistics to back up this claim?

Old 10-23-2022, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Surely you have the statistics to back up this claim?
I already disproved it!

Old 10-23-2022, 10:09 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You do know dogs can be shot. If a silencer is used you would never hear the shot.
You'd probably hear the dog before the shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Don't understand what being a hunter has to do with it.
I know what mess a large, shot organism makes. It ain't pretty.

You can't quantify how many break-ins were averted because of dogs, instead of humans starting a gun fight around their loved ones. You can't quantify how many homes were avoided by burglars due to the possibility of a home owner having a gun.

Guns are last ditch home protection. Not the be all and end all, not the best method, not the safest method, not the most effective method, not the most used method.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:46 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
There has been very little in the way of looting after hurricane Ian because the message was loud and clear from the get go that home owners in Florida have the right to protect themselves and their property. Looters can and will be shot.

There was also little in the way of so called "peaceful protesters" burning down cities and looting businesses in Florida because business owners are allowed to protect their property. The trouble that did happen, occurred in more liberal pockets where local leaders were wishy washy about enforcing laws.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
There has been very little in the way of looting after hurricane Ian because the message was loud and clear from the get go that home owners in Florida have the right to protect themselves and their property. Looters can and will be shot.

There was also little in the way of so called "peaceful protesters" burning down cities and looting businesses in Florida because business owners are allowed to protect their property. The trouble that did happen, occurred in more liberal pockets where local leaders were wishy washy about enforcing laws.
Beware the 'post hoc' fallacy in coming to conclusions. Every precursor is not a cause.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Beware the 'post hoc' fallacy in coming to conclusions. Every precursor is not a cause.
Looters are low lifes but they aren't complete idiots. They are going to target easy pickings which is why looting is such a HUGE problem in places like San Francisco.

Businesses are pulling out of liberal cities because things have gotten so bad in those areas.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Looters are low lifes but they aren't complete idiots. They are going to target easy pickings which is why looting is such a HUGE problem in places like San Francisco.
You mean after the quake in 1906? They brought in the National Guard.

Looters were a problem in KS after a tornado about six years ago. Lotsa guns in Kansas.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
You mean after the quake in 1906? They brought in the National Guard.

Looters were a problem in KS after a tornado about six years ago. Lotsa guns in Kansas.
There have always been aholes in San Francisco apparently.

Not sure what happened in Kansas. It's possible that they were completely caught off guard by low life opportunists seeking to enrich themselves at the expense of the tornado victims.

DeSantis was smart to get ahead of that nonsense immediately and in no uncertain terms.

Old 10-24-2022, 05:49 AM

Quote:
You'd probably hear the dog before the shot.

I know what mess a large, shot organism makes. It ain't pretty.

You can't quantify how many break-ins were averted because of dogs, instead of humans starting a gun fight around their loved ones. You can't quantify how many homes were avoided by burglars due to the possibility of a home owner having a gun.

Guns are last ditch home protection. Not the be all and end all, not the best method, not the safest method, not the most effective method, not the most used method.
method, not the most effective method, not the most used method.[/quote]
"You can't quantify how many break-ins were averted because of dogs....."

YOU are the 1 making the case for dogs, so, it is up to YOU to provide the data!

"instead of humans starting a gun fight around their loved ones"

So now defending your home an loved ones is "starting a gun fight"!

Hey keep you guns locked up, and pay the consequences!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies