Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 10:26 AM

17,431 posts, read 16,608,757 times

Advertisements

The Gen Zs who were smart worked throughout Covid, studied hard in school and have the work experience and the degree to show for their hard work. They'll do o.k.

The Gen Zs who stayed at home playing video games, blowing off their classes and using Covid as an excuse not to work are going to have a tougher time of it. But the same can be said for anyone who used Covid as an excuse to slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 10:42 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,978,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Very general in my opinion.

Just a bunch of stereotyping based on age.

Why would someone want to work for someone who stereotypes based on age?

I personally can't understand why so many older people near retirement age are not humbled.

I think these 60 and 65 year old know-it-alls with a superiority complex who drive up a companies health insurance costs are hilarious.

In this very socially based economy compared to agrarian or manufacturing economy, if the older person is not humble and respectful than I would much rather be in a room of very attractive and open-minded twenty-somethings with a positive environment and one receptive to change.

I am not young but not near retirement age but the reality is young people tend to learn much faster, if it's a sales job or a socially-based position than a young brilliant person is usually the chosen one to represent the company.

What destroys a "workplace culture" is a company having to pay a tremendous fortune if it is self-insured to cover health insurance for an older employee and their spouse compared to a young, healthy single employee in their 20s

The ability to problem solve? I think that it depends on the person and has absolutely nothing to do with age.

"Real work Experience"? Once again depends on the job.

Far more reliable? Depends, older employees because of their age are much more likely to be out for weeks at a time due to medical issues compared to someone in their 20s.
At what age do you want to put older workers out to pasture? What age are you willing to reduce the Social Security benefit age to? Are you willing to have all the younger workers pay more FICA to support earlier retirement? That could end up costing way more than the higher salaries the experienced workers are getting now.

I find your attitude towards older workers offensive.

Old 10-23-2022, 08:07 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,332,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Oh, please. My 23-year-old has an engineering degree and is making $82k/yr as a brand-new grad. My 21-year-old is right behind her and will do equally well. Crap on Gen Z all you like, but plenty of them are well-educated, diligent, hard-working, and don't have condescending ******** for employers. My spouse and I are in our mid-50s and still have many good years of work ahead of us. We enjoy working with people of all ages and the varying skills, enthusiasm, and ideas they bring to the table.

And, btw, while "any monkey can swing a hammer," it takes someone with skill and talent to swing a hammer and make something worth having, so many give that line or argument a rest.
I’m sure your kids are successful. It sounds like you gave them the skills/tools to make it in life. Whether or not a kid succeeds is often based on how they were raised. I’m happy for you. My neighbor’s daughter just finished college and is also an engineer; she’s doing great. I have people in their 20’s and 30’s that work for me and their great as well. Although, for every one we have, we’ve cycled through several who couldn’t cut it.

But that’s not the norm with the younger generation. The majority are not hard working, diligent or trustworthy. They’re just not. And they bring a culture of “woke” to the workplace that is based on entitlement and victimization which is plainly destructive. I’m happy that you haven’t experienced that, but I think you’ve been pretty lucky. If you don’t believe me you should open your own business and start hiring them. You will cycle through several for every one you keep. You don’t have to take my word for it. You’ll learn.

Old 10-23-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I’m sure your kids are successful. It sounds like you gave them the skills/tools to make it in life. Whether or not a kid succeeds is often based on how they were raised. I’m happy for you. My neighbor’s daughter just finished college and is also an engineer; she’s doing great. I have people in their 20’s and 30’s that work for me and their great as well. Although, for every one we have, we’ve cycled through several who couldn’t cut it.

But that’s not the norm with the younger generation. The majority are not hard working, diligent or trustworthy. They’re just not. And they bring a culture of “woke” to the workplace that is based on entitlement and victimization which is plainly destructive. I’m happy that you haven’t experienced that, but I think you’ve been pretty lucky. If you don’t believe me you should open your own business and start hiring them. You will cycle through several for every one you keep. You don’t have to take my word for it. You’ll learn.
I don't know where you live but the younger generation, Gen Z specifically, is not the woke, spoiled generation that some folks like to claim that they are.

These are kids that had their college plans, high school graduations, proms, athletics, etc blown up and cancelled over Covid. They have rolled up their sleeves and gone to work. They are more conservative when it comes to taking on student loan debt.

Some of the hardest working people that I know are Gen Z.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:16 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,332,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I don't know where you live but the younger generation, Gen Z specifically, is not the woke, spoiled generation that some folks like to claim that they are.

These are kids that had their college plans, high school graduations, proms, athletics, etc blown up and cancelled over Covid. They have rolled up their sleeves and gone to work. They are more conservative when it comes to taking on student loan debt.

Some of the hardest working people that I know are Gen Z.
I’ve had a very different experience with Gen Z employees. Moreover, I routinely meet with other business leaders here in the city and they’ve expressed similar concerns privately. In fact, a good friend that runs a very large company here recently told me that they are purposely avoiding recent college grads in their 20’s. They can’t get them to work hard or take on responsibility. They prefer young people in their early 30’s with work/life experience because they are less entitled. My experiences have been largely the same.

I’m glad that you’re not dealing with that kind of thing.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I’ve had a very different experience with Gen Z employees. Moreover, I routinely meet with other business leaders here in the city and they’ve expressed similar concerns privately. In fact, a good friend that runs a very large company here recently told me that they are purposely avoiding recent college grads in their 20’s. They can’t get them to work hard or take on responsibility. They prefer young people in their early 30’s with work/life experience because they are less entitled. My experiences have been largely the same.

I’m glad that you’re not dealing with that kind of thing.
A person in their early 30's is typically 10 years out of college with, presumably, 10 years more work history than a recent grad Gen Z would have. I would be very surprised if they were competing for the same entry level jobs as the early 20 somethings are.

Early 30's is darned near mid career. Time flies.

Old 10-23-2022, 02:41 PM

8,282 posts, read 3,523,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There is a large group of workers, many under 55 years old, sitting on the sidelines. If these workers are able-bodied workers and receiving government support they should be required to join the workforce.
They are already required to be in the workforce. It's been that way for decades.

You can fill out the applications everywhere. It's up to the employers who get the job offers. Not everyone who has no job chose to be that way.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:07 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,978,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Where are they going to work? Companies, at least in my industry, have had layoffs over the past few months as they prepare for this Joe Biden economic downturn.
What industry would that be that is laying off workers now?

Old 10-23-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
They are already required to be in the workforce. It's been that way for decades.

You can fill out the applications everywhere. It's up to the employers who get the job offers. Not everyone who has no job chose to be that way.
Barring something jarring in their background check, a person who wants to work will find a job. Some people need to do less picking and less choosing.

Get the work experience, first, and then you get to be more selective.

Old 10-23-2022, 05:46 PM

8,282 posts, read 3,523,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Barring something jarring in their background check, a person who wants to work will find a job. Some people need to do less picking and less choosing.

Get the work experience, first, and then you get to be more selective.
I started applying for jobs after I turned 16. I was an honor roll student. I have been turned down for jobs for over three decades. I graduated college with honors. I have three degrees. High GPA for all of them. Still no job. Back in 2009 I even looked up every business within a fifty mile radius of where I was living and wrote out each one in a notebook. I filled out an application at every single one that would take one. I received nothing for the effort except wasted gas money.

I briefly had a temp job at Walmart and they fired me on December 24, 2009. They were telling us that if we did a good job that we would be kept, so I even worked with a 103 fever and didn't call in sick because I needed a job. They kept telling me what a good job that I was doing and acting like they were going to keep me. Then I was fired and they said that they never intended to keep me in the first place.

I have not been offered a job since the last one no matter how many applications I filled out. I accepted that I would never be employed and filed for disability. The previous jobs fired me within days because of my medical problems. I was on disability for years until I was falsely accused of fraud and kicked off. The government even made up stuff to support the decision and the evidence that showed they were lying was ignored.

I was never allowed to get the work experience. I have been discriminated against since I was a child. I don't even have three references to put on an application anymore. I don't have a social life. People don't want to hang out with people who are sick most of the time. My applications go in the trash now since they will never be complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies