Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 06:32 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I started applying for jobs after I turned 16. I was an honor roll student. I have been turned down for jobs for over three decades. I graduated college with honors. I have three degrees. High GPA for all of them. Still no job. Back in 2009 I even looked up every business within a fifty mile radius of where I was living and wrote out each one in a notebook. I filled out an application at every single one that would take one. I received nothing for the effort except wasted gas money.

I briefly had a temp job at Walmart and they fired me on December 24, 2009. They were telling us that if we did a good job that we would be kept, so I even worked with a 103 fever and didn't call in sick because I needed a job. They kept telling me what a good job that I was doing and acting like they were going to keep me. Then I was fired and they said that they never intended to keep me in the first place.

I have not been offered a job since the last one no matter how many applications I filled out. I accepted that I would never be employed and filed for disability. The previous jobs fired me within days because of my medical problems. I was on disability for years until I was falsely accused of fraud and kicked off. The government even made up stuff to support the decision and the evidence that showed they were lying was ignored.

I was never allowed to get the work experience. I have been discriminated against since I was a child. I don't even have three references to put on an application anymore. I don't have a social life. People don't want to hang out with people who are sick most of the time. My applications go in the trash now since they will never be complete.
I'm sorry, those sound like tough circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2022, 08:36 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
We are 3 years into the supply constraints. There are critical shortages of workers in retail, transportation, the trades, healthcare, education, manufacturing, services, etc. The military is facing a critical recruitment shortage. The number of workers 60 years and older choosing to exit the workforce early continues to grow in record numbers.

Now, more than ever, there are numerous opportunities for younger workers to enter the workforce and build their careers. Their participation is critical to the future of our country. Instead of a message by the government of handouts our leaders should be promoting the virtues of being knowledgeable, productive and contributing citizens. It is our civic duty! Instead of loan forgiveness, individuals should be given a full tax deduction for the interest paid on student loans as well as tax credits for the tuition portion of their college or qualified training program. Businesses should be given expanded tax credits for job training/apprentice programs and increasing and maintaining opportunities for disabled workers. Children need more modeling and opportunities to participate in meaningful activities as they approach their teens to build a work ethic and discover their talents and abilities that extend beyond sports, academics, and leisure activities. This is true at home, in school and in the communities where they reside.

America needs to get to work!

“No country can sustain, in idleness, more than a small percentage of its numbers. The great majority must labor at something productive.” - Abraham Lincoln
We outsourced for decades.

We did everything we could to appease corporate America and Wall Street for decades. Labor is taxed at higher rates than capital gains.

We gutted higher ed funding and public school funding for decades.

We this is our reward for decades of neoliberalism. Let’s not be surprised at these results.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:55 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
OP,

Tell those lazy boomers to stop retiring!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies