Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 07:38 AM

880 posts, read 567,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
If you're really upset about GM pulling ads from twitter (and VW too), then surely you'll support "free speech" by buying a Tesla, since that's from Elon Musk, new CEO of Twitter. What better way to say it than buying a vehicle from Musk?

GM lost me years ago when they were FORCED into bankruptcy. The GM bankruptcy had nothing to do with GM, but instead on the fact that the UAW was totally completely insolvent and GM wasn't responsible for their pensions... the UAW was.

I used to exclusively buy Pontiacs, with my very last Pontiac being a Pontiac Solstice. When GM effectively became a U.S. Government accessory, I decided I was done, and I've been a Ford owner ever since... having purchased two brand new Fords since.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I really don't think Brother Elon thought this acquisition out very well. Advertisers don't want to be associated with racism, fascism, and violent rhetoric. When the big ones pull out, the smaller ones are reluctant to step up and fill in the holes.

Musk has a serious problem. He may not go broke, but he could easily lose a third of his wealth if Twitter folds.
I do think Musk didn't realize the whole picture.

It is an advertising driven market.

And if advertisers don't feel confident they will find somewhere else to spend money.

And I think advertisers have been taking money out of Twitter before Musk bought it.

The uncertainty of where he wants to take it has made more of them pull their dollars.

I am sure his strategy will change to take that into consideration.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:42 AM

18,181 posts, read 15,755,827 times
Quote:
Like twitter or not, it's evident that it represents one of the most valuable real-time feedback loops/ barometers for human expression
Even if that were true, it has nothing to do with spend analysis, demographic segmentation, budgeting, opportunity cost analysis, ROI and all the other biz metrics that are at the heart of decision-making in determining where and how much to spend on advertising in total and then on different media.

If you can't tie it to ROI, then any senior exec worth their salt would be asking "why are we spending $xxx,xxx,xxx there vs these other places?" And that's a valid biz question.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:48 AM

25,457 posts, read 9,844,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I do think Musk didn't realize the whole picture.

It is an advertising driven market.

And if advertisers don't feel confident they will find somewhere else to spend money.

And I think advertisers have been taking money out of Twitter before Musk bought it.

The uncertainty of where he wants to take it has made more of them pull their dollars.

I am sure his strategy will change to take that into consideration.

Either that or he will go atomic all out cancel on these advertisers as he is talking about doing. Musk appears to be a super narcissistic insecure person. It will be interesting to see how he navigates all of this. I don't think he has the emotional intelligence to not respond from his basest level.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Either that or he will go atomic all out cancel on these advertisers as he is talking about doing. Musk appears to be a super narcissistic insecure person. It will be interesting to see how he navigates all of this. I don't think he has the emotional intelligence to not respond from his basest level.
Musk has already thrown a tantrum and blocked Lou Paskalis, CEO of MMA Global, who tried explaining to Musk the factors that are driving the various advertisers decisions at this time.

Nope. Musk doesn't want to hear it, doesn't want to learn. Big man-baby had a meltdown. That will inspire people to want to do business with him.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Musk has already thrown a tantrum and blocked Lou Paskalis, CEO of MMA Global, who tried explaining to Musk the factors that are driving the various advertisers decisions at this time.

Nope. Musk doesn't want to hear it, doesn't want to learn.
Musk has gone crazy blocking people.

He is all for free speech -- HIS FREE SPEECH.

This morning on Twitter, celebrities who are 'bluecheck verified' have changed their names (not their usernames) but their name to Elon Musk. So their Twitter posts show his name with a bluecheck mark (and underneath their username. For most people we know it isn't him.....but there are some Elon Musk fans scratching their heads at some of the posts he is making this morning.

I suspect had his 'integrity' team been working they would have suspended the individuals who had changed their names to imply it is someone else...but nobody is watching at Twitter -- it's a free for all.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:58 AM

5,591 posts, read 2,320,349 times
LOL Musk is threatening his customers. This won't end well.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:00 AM

7,684 posts, read 5,547,113 times
Musk lost me when he called one of the rescuers of the boys soccer team trapped in a Thai cave a pedophile because he felt insulted by the British man. Musk even admitted to that in court. That’s the kind of free speech Musk supports. Outright lies that damage reputation.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:00 AM

Crazy and unhinged looks good on absolutely no one.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:10 AM

37,157 posts, read 19,268,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And this is the exact problem with those that are so closed minded that they think anyone that isn't on their "side" , supports one of the many buzzwords ...racism, fascism, or violent rhetoric. This shouldn't be a , you're either with me or against me type of thing, which is how so many on the left think. Yes, there are racists, fascists, violent people, and fear mongers out there, on both sides, yet those on the left fail to see that their side is just as much a part of it, if not more than the other side.
When i see people calling Candace Owens, or Milo Yanninapolis, racists , for example, you've lost all credibility. And are purely projecting. Or seeing politicians saying if the Democrats don't win children will die. Or seeing our own POTUS vilifying 10's of millions of American's that have opposites views , we have a problem.
The Democratic party, and the media that supports them are entirely responsible for the shape this country is in, and it started several years before Trump was even in the picture. The non stop race baiting and identity politics that the left has done for decades, has gotten us to this point. They truly are everything they accuse others of being.
All I know is what was reported about what the advertisers told Musk on a conference call. If you have other data, please share it.

I'm not the one who made racism, fascism, and violent rhetoric political a Democrat or republican thing. You seem to be trying to. This may be controversial, but it is certainly not political.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies