Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 11:54 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,770,823 times

Advertisements

I can see an EV working for us if we just used it for around where we live and charge it at home.

We are not interested in having an EV for longer travel where you have to plan out where you are going to stop and then have to hang around while it charges.

Just not convenient at all.

I'd be much more interested in hydrogen vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2022, 12:02 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,148,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It is coming. Every year we see multiple manufacturers showcasing their EV semi tractor trailer rigs. I just read about another one in yesterday's news.

They are coming.

Heating and cooling are both done with a heat-pump, extremely efficient. In my plugin hybrid, fully charged it can heat or cool for 24 hours without draining the battery enough to register as a drain.

Reefer units require constant power at all times to keep meats frozen and believe me they pull a lot of power. They have a looooong way to go to get the power they need when you have 20, 30 and as much as 50 units drawing power as well as the tractors to keep drivers warm or cool as they sleep.
So theyre in for a ton of work. Until then we need diesel to power them and the power plants to charge everything.

Old 11-18-2022, 01:28 PM

6,139 posts, read 3,358,943 times
The reality is that Green energy, EVs, solar power, wind power, carbon reduction, etc. is here to stay and they will continue to dump money (our money) into it. Might take many, many decades before it all works correctly, and it will cause immeasurable suffering as we make this long, very long transition.

Will it make a difference in climate change? Maybe, maybe not.
Will this end up being a positive for our country, and the world, way down the line as a whole? Maybe, maybe not.

But make no mistake, it is coming, and it’s impossible to fight.

I just invested quite a bit of money in my first ever environmental fund. Not because I believe in it, but because I can see the writing on the wall and want to make money off it.

I have conceded because it makes fiscal sense to do so.

I will still vote Republican, still want life to continue as is with petrol, but I no longer believe our side can win this battle.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:25 PM

11,517 posts, read 6,027,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The reality is that Green energy, EVs, solar power, wind power, carbon reduction, etc. is here to stay and they will continue to dump money (our money) into it. Might take many, many decades before it all works correctly, and it will cause immeasurable suffering as we make this long, very long transition.

Will this end up being a positive for our country, and the world, way down the line as a whole? Maybe, maybe not.

I just invested quite a bit of money in my first ever environmental fund. Not because I believe in it, but because I can see the writing on the wall and want to make money off it.

I will still vote Republican, still want life to continue as is with petrol, but I no longer believe our side can win this battle.
Sound logic and very reasonable post.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:45 PM

37,476 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Whether it's a "minor" cost may well depend on where the charging station is located and how that cost might be offset. For example, someone mentioned that it might cost $10 worth of electricity to completely charge a vehicle. I don't know if that number is correct, but for now let's use that number.
I do not know.

I drive a plugin hybrid, and as such, I have never paid for a charge.

There are a few places near me that provide charging stations for free.

There is an annual EV rodeo that I have attended. According to those enthusiasts, a full charge on most EVs runs between 25 and 30 cents. But again I can not testify to that as I have never found any place that charges money for charging my car.

My Dw is now retired. Her previous employer offers free charging to everyone who parks in their parking lot. In this region, it is common that most diesel vehicles require a block heater, so it is not uncommon to see 1-ton diesel pickups plugged in at parking lots.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:49 PM

We are in our EV infancy. Costs for out-of-home charging stations are complex and are a moving target.

For example, some charging stations charge you additionally for every minute your fully-charged car remains plugged in. Someone who isn't aware and takes in a movie while their SUV is charging, will pay much more than the savvy driver who charges to 90% and leaves promptly.

People are experiencing wildly differing costs right now. Here is to a mature EV industry when more is standardized.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:52 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Tesla and EV's definitely have their niche, and I was a supporter of them until the Government got involved. Free market should decide, the government forced the hand of automakers to invest into EV's and it looks like the auto industry will be in a mess for the next decade or two.

The one sad fact about EV's are that they are throw-away cars. Batteries have a limited lifespan, and die regardless of usage.
My 2006 Prius has the original battery and still gets at least 48mpg.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
My 2006 Prius has the original battery and still gets at least 48mpg.
How many miles please?

Old 11-18-2022, 03:01 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
I talked to the kid who delivered pizza to my house this summer. He was driving the Chevy Bolt or whatever-small ev. Told me he gets about 240 miles per charge delivering pizzas and it charges in his garage overnight. To me, a perfect short range delivery vehicle.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

Clearly you believe in it enough to think it will be a financially viable industry.
Lots of people scoff at it because they say it won't be.

It can be eventually. It's early days. I'm sure lots of people didn't think those automobiles would be the only mode of transport. But eventually --- having a horse and carriage just wasn't the way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies