Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 12:38 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times

Advertisements

Looking at exit polls, Hispanics are continuing a slow but steady march to Republicans. This good for democracy.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:40 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
So define young.

Are we suggesting that you are old when you reach 41 years old?

Old 11-11-2022, 01:10 PM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
10 years ago, older millennials born roughly 1980-1992, voted democrat with a roughly +30-40% margin. This election, that has now narrowed to just +4%.

Could it be that pesky reality has started to set in? Crime, mortgages, taxes, inflation and above all, starting families. Or is something else here at play?

Gen Z meanwhile is a lost cause for now.
It gets personal for people when it finally hits your wallet and the more successful you become the more is taken away and ultimately squandered by pie in the sky ideas or just freely given to many without work ethic.

Things change.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:20 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So define young.

Are we suggesting that you are old when you reach 41 years old?
Who knows. I think it is important to note that a lot of young people DON’T VOTE AT ALL. 10 years ago, I think Obama inspired young people to vote for him. In more recent years, people just haven’t been all that inspired, so it’s evened out a bit. I think it is more a matter of who the candidates are than any “massive” shift to the right.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:24 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Where's your link, OP?

If older Millennials shifted that far to the right, then we should have seen a red wave where Republicans ended up holding 270+ seats in the House.
I have not heard any mention of a political shift with Millennials.

Old 11-11-2022, 01:27 PM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Another reason I’ve never really been able to get into the whole generational thing. Those arguments or data points don’t hold much water for me. I don’t have much in common with many of my millennial “peers”. I started as a Republican til I moved to Texas and saw how little I cared for the red meat republicans down there, and subsequently left the Republican Party in favor of Libertarians. Have never looked back.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:41 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I like that saying and I would add another "Everyone is a Democrat until they get mugged".

Personally I have always leaned to the Right in my politics but that is because I'm an Old timer at heart that has always respected authority, reflected on History and knew how special America is.

I'm still shocked that the midterms turned out the way they did. BY all accounts there should have been a Red Wave, a dishonest unlikable President, Open Border, Out of control spending, surging inflation, surging crime an unsteady world, CRT and Transvestites in the schools and the list goes on and on yet the Dems that have brought us all of this misery did rather well in their races.

I think the Left just likes being miserable. It took the Dems 5 times in my state but they finally got the graduated income tax rammed through. It means that we will all be paying more in taxes. Great.

I think the whole country needs to shift to the Right or pretty soon we won't have a country.

I got mugged when I was 23, diagnosed with Stage IV cancer, and found that the health insurance my parents praised for being "very good" still left me with my year's take-home salary in out of pocket costs for 6 months of an inferior treatment. I say inferior because I received a less effective, more toxic chemotherapy than what my doctors recommended and it took over a month to get into treatment following diagnosis as a result of fights with my insurance company.

That wasn't the case in my "cancer cohort" of others with my illness on an online forum. The Americans were generally the last to get into treatment following diagnosis and I was one of many who was denied the more effective, less toxic regime. In countries with universal healthcare? Into treatment in under a week and the standard of care was the chemo cocktail that was denied in the US.

So when I vote D, it's voting out of hope for a first world healthcare delivery system. Yes, we have some great hospitals, if you can afford them. They also are unevenly distributed, particularly if you live in rural areas. The Republican party has yet to put out a healthcare plan that makes any amount of sense for the American people.

Other issues, like appropriately funding the social services and education departments nationwide, abortion access, profamily policies like paid family leave and subsidized childcare, and even climate change all come secondarily to me after healthcare. And, let's face it, Republicans get failing marks on all of the above.

This was true as a 23 year old choosing between filling cancer Rxs and paying rent, and it's true now as a 34 year old who makes in the top 10% of incomes in the country.

Old 11-11-2022, 02:44 PM

1,173 posts, read 549,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
What's the saying?

"If you're a Republican at of 25, you have no heart. If you're a Democrat at 35, you have no brain."

People trend conservative as they age/mature/reality hits them in the face. For me, reality hit me in the face when I got my first payslip.
Yup Ole Winston Churchill

Old 11-11-2022, 03:02 PM

1,052 posts, read 451,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I got mugged when I was 23, diagnosed with Stage IV cancer, and found that the health insurance my parents praised for being "very good" still left me with my year's take-home salary in out of pocket costs for 6 months of an inferior treatment. I say inferior because I received a less effective, more toxic chemotherapy than what my doctors recommended and it took over a month to get into treatment following diagnosis as a result of fights with my insurance company.

So when I vote D, it's voting out of hope for a first world healthcare delivery system. Yes, we have some great hospitals, if you can afford them. They also are unevenly distributed, particularly if you live in rural areas. The Republican party has yet to put out a healthcare plan that makes any amount of sense for the American people.
Democrats can't (or won't) keep a border secure and you think they'll give you world class healthcare?

That rural areas do not have access to great hospitals is hardly an American issue. You should ask an average Brit living in economically depressed Northern England if they have great hospitals. This is pretty much a universal reality.

Speaking of universal, I don't know where you're getting the notion that some socialized healthcare system would give you better cancer treatment. Sure, it might be free, but instead of catching it at a curable stage (as I'm presuming yours was), you would have to wait a year just to see an oncologist. If you didn't want to wait that long, well, you'd be paying out of pocket too

Old 11-11-2022, 03:13 PM

4,503 posts, read 1,860,989 times
I’m not quite 40 and voted for obama

Became a republican around 2009-2011 and cannot imagine voting for a democrat ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies