Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 08:40 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You’re complaining about Florida, lol

That’s great to hear. Florida certainly isn’t for you and it’s great that you have no interest in coming here.

Weather, beaches, resorts, boating, fishing, motorcycle riding, parasailing, etc…, most everyday of the year. Economy is great. Folks aren’t crying about masks, mandates, folks aren’t living in fear and crying to shut it down, etc… No incessant whining is fabulous. Such a happy and refreshing state and so much different from where our main home is in PA with a clown Governor, soft on crime folks and political figures that defend and enable criminals, get their feelings hurt at the drop of a hat, etc… It’s a pleasure, and greatly due to a fabulous Governor, hence folks have come here in droves.
Where I live no one is crying about masks mandates or shut downs. Where I live, politicians aren't soft on crime. 5 hours from where I live there are beaches. Plenty of good hiking and boating very close to where I live. Apart from year-round beaches, I don't see how Florida stands out from most other conservative states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 08:44 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Where I live no one is crying about masks mandates or shut downs. Where I live, politicians aren't soft on crime. 5 hours from where I live there are beaches. Plenty of good hiking and boating very close to where I live. Apart from year-round beaches, I don't see how Florida stands out from most other conservative states.
You continue to ask, you continue to get answers, and you continue to complain about it. Nothing’s going to change your mind so you’re going to be continue to be bothered about it, lol.

Great. Sounds like you’re in a good state….but Lol at 5 hours away to the beach compared to a few minutes to a few hours. And there’s wayyyy more boating down here, and certainly more going on most everyday of the year that I’ve already mentioned.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You continue to ask, you continue to get answers, and you continue to complain about it. Nothing’s going to change your mind so you’re going to be continue to be bothered about it, lol.

Great. Sounds like you’re in a good state….but Lol at 5 hours away to the beach compared to a few minutes to a few hours. And there’s wayyyy more boating down here, and certainly more going on most everyday of the year that I’ve already mentioned.
Apart from year-round weather, I'm not impressed. In fact, I like snow better than I do hot, humid weather. Florida's humid, tropical climate isn't that attractive to me. If being 5 minutes from the beach means living in stifling heat and humidity, I'll pass. I already in a climate where it's hot and humid from April through September.

I'll visit Florida, but I can't live there year round.

And I can find plenty of rough areas both in the state I live in as well as Florida.

Old 12-02-2022, 09:02 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Apart from year-round weather, I'm not impressed. In fact, I like snow better than I do hot, humid weather. Florida's humid, tropical climate isn't that attractive to me. If being 5 minutes from the beach means living in stifling heat and humidity, I'll pass. I already in a climate where it's hot and humid from April through September.

I'll visit Florida, but I can't live there year round.

And I can find plenty of rough areas both in the state I live in as well as Florida.
Nobody’s trying to impress you. It’s great to hear you don’t want to come here. Doesn’t sound like you’re going to be happy anywhere anyway, as you continue to complain about your own state.

In the meantime, the folks that have moved here in droves and continue to move here in droves will continue to enjoy DeSantisLand. We love it

Old 12-02-2022, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 11,799 times
I was one of those escapees in 2021 from the NE to Florida a and haven’t looked back!

Nice to see so many even in CA forum be pro Florida! You guys should consider moving to FL if your work allows. You will get instant 10% pay increase take home.

Old 12-02-2022, 11:02 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
I would never retire to Florida. Way too hot and humid. Plus I like the four seasons. But that’s where many like to retire to.

Old 12-03-2022, 07:43 AM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Among red states, Florida stands out in a few respects:
  • The state used to be politically competitive but now appears to be a lock for conservative Republicans who are effective in using "culture war" issues to their advantage
  • Two of the current heroes of conservatism, Trump and DeSantis, call the state home in addition to various right leaning media personalities
  • There is no state income tax which has helped the state gain attract many who have built significant wealth elsewhere
  • It has the third largest population in the US and is growing steadily
  • The state is demographically diverse, with only a narrow majority of non-Hispanic Whites - which many analysts in the past had assumed would favor Democrats
  • The state has a climate and environment that appeals to many people (certainly not everyone - and yes there are some real vulnerabilities) regardless of political persuasions
Florida is not a national bellwether, and the state becoming a magnet for conservative #MAGA fans does have consequences elsewhere - in the places they leave behind. DeSantis and Trump struck out getting their preferred candidates across the finish line in Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona and other states that are going to be much more pivotal in the 2024 election than Florida.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:49 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
As a Californian, it took a couple of visits before I liked Florida. I think it’s a bit cliche for east coasters to just kinda go to Florida, which has taken a lot of the fun out of it again, and it certainly lacks California’s cool factor. But once I took Florida on its own terms and accepted its own vibe, I thought it was a pretty neat place.

Old 12-06-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
As a Californian, it took a couple of visits before I liked Florida. I think it’s a bit cliche for east coasters to just kinda go to Florida, which has taken a lot of the fun out of it again, and it certainly lacks California’s cool factor. But once I took Florida on its own terms and accepted its own vibe, I thought it was a pretty neat place.
I grew up in Georgia, but I've lived on the West Coast (Seattle area), I've lived in Texas too. I would frequently hear about kids going to Panama City Beach for Spring Break. I'd hear about Florida all the time. Florida had a "cool" factor for Georgians. While I did grow up in Georgia, I was always different. Texas had more of a "cool" factor for me. California had that "cool" factor for me. The West always had more of an appeal for me.

I do notice that with Florida, East Coasters, and some southerners (mostly from Georgia) like it alot. When I visited Charleston, SC a few years ago, I saw alot of Florida license plates. In fact, there were times I wondered if I was in Florida. Palm trees everywhere, ocean close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies