Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2022, 08:07 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Gotcha. Just positing the question whether someone could act like Jesse Lee Peterson to be accepted into a bigoted anti-black society while being black themselves. I can’t stand the guy either. He’s a hypocrite, but I have found myself laughing at his idiocy from time to time.
I think more about this. Peterson is obviously old enough to have lived through the last vestiges of Jim Crow. He says he didn't become a conservative until his late 30s. I wonder if he would have joined conservative politics in the 1950s.

I remember watching a video many years ago (2015 or 2016). Jesse Lee Peterson referred to the majority of Black people as stupid. A Black person who happens to be Republican, I don't have a problem with it. I have a problem with Black person who takes on ”talk bad about Black people” mentality. I could not do that. I understand that as a Black person, if I talk trash about Black people (I'm not talking about crime statistics, etc. I'm talking hateful stuff), I have to wonder about the audience I was talking to. I'd wonder if those persons are talking trash about Black people (including me) or how they might use my platform to vent their own anti-Black anger.

There are certain issues I want to talk about. In fact, I opened up two threads to talk about some of the issues within the Black population, from a nuanced, yet honest perspective. Both threads are locked. One thing that concerned me was both threads being used as an opportunity for some anti-Black individuals to vent.

I think about Jesse Lee Peterson. I also think about how some non-Black minorities have gone into the anti-Black trope. I wonder how many of said persons do this to fit in, to keep the discrimination off of them. Or, how many individuals are that hateful. Interestingly, the most anti-Black minority individuals I've dealt with were some Mexican co-workers at a job. These were not the kind of people who spouted ”White replacement theory” stuff. They just didn't like Blacks. They stuck to themselves alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 12:54 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
It is quite the opposite on the west coast, where latinos who are mainly Mexican reject Whiteness and embrace "brown pride" and thus are heavily liberal.
Looks like the post-racial (21st century version of "cosmic race" & "racial democracy" rebranded) bubble has yet to burst.

Quote:
The racist remarks extended beyond Blacks to the embedded prejudice against Indigenous Latinos that is pervasive in Latin America and in the U.S., a remnant of colonialism and a version of white supremacy.

Martinez mocked Indigenous Mexican immigrants of Oaxacan descent living in Los Angeles’ Koreatown, calling them “short, dark people.” “I don’t know where these people are from. I don’t know what village they came [from], how they got here. ... Tan feos (they’re ugly),” she says in the audio recording.

NBCNews: Latino L.A. City Council members' racist slurs expose the problem that undercuts progress

Quote:
Martinez also referred to Bonin as a “little bitch” and at another point mocked Oaxacans, the Times said.

“I see a lot of little short dark people,” Martinez said in reference to a particular area of the largely Hispanic Koreatown neighborhood.

“I was like, I don’t know where these people are from, I don’t know what village they came (from), how they got here,” Martinez said, adding “Tan feos” — “They’re ugly.”

PBSNewsHour: Los Angeles Council president resigns after leaked audio of racist remarks surfaces

Old 11-19-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
There was a thread about this from a few weeks ago. Los Angeles has issues regarding racial tensions between Blacks and Hispanics.

Old 11-19-2022, 02:44 PM

^Florida had several race riots between the 1980s and 1990s. Miami and Tampa in particular.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:45 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
For Florida specifically, I think it’s retirees.

Florida is unique in having a relatively conservative Cuban population, but - while I’m not Latino, I married into a Salvadoran family, so I have a foot in Latino culture(s) - Latinos are not a consistent bloc. Puerto Ricans are a different culture from Cubans, who are different from Brazilians or Mexicans or Salvadorans. Most Latinos I have met are fairly left-leaning, but there’s at best more room for swing votes in the Latino community as a whole. Conservatives aren’t doing a good job at reaching out to the commonalities, though.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:42 PM

62,962 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
For Florida specifically, I think it’s retirees.

Florida is unique in having a relatively conservative Cuban population, but - while I’m not Latino, I married into a Salvadoran family, so I have a foot in Latino culture(s) - Latinos are not a consistent bloc. Puerto Ricans are a different culture from Cubans, who are different from Brazilians or Mexicans or Salvadorans. Most Latinos I have met are fairly left-leaning, but there’s at best more room for swing votes in the Latino community as a whole. Conservatives aren’t doing a good job at reaching out to the commonalities, though.
What do you think that the Republicans have to do to reach out to non-Cuban Latinos? Inquiring minds want to know. Most from Mexican roots here want amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally and that's not an option therefore most vote Democrat.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There was a thread about this from a few weeks ago. Los Angeles has issues regarding racial tensions between Blacks and Hispanics.
And I've told you the reason why and that is because so many of these illegal Hispanics have taken over once back neighborhoods and yet you keep claiming that illegal immigration doesn't impact you and your race so you simply don't care.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:47 PM

846 posts, read 683,481 times
Both. You can't just attribute it to one when both are factors.

In most states, the rural areas are conservative while the major cities are liberal. Now that Miami is conservative, that balance is gone.

Old 11-20-2022, 05:40 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What do you think that the Republicans have to do to reach out to non-Cuban Latinos? Inquiring minds want to know. Most from Mexican roots here want amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally and that's not an option therefore most vote Democrat.
I wouldn’t say mostly…many for sure, though. The republicans have long ignored a giant blind spot in connecting with a lot of the Christian faction of the Republican Party and pushing on the family values angle. Self sufficiency is a bigger deal than you’d realize as well, as Hispanic men are typically looked on as providers and tend to work hard, another solid connection with the Republican Party. Those two are the most solid bedrock, especially with older voters. Shoring up younger voters is a lot more tricky, but the younger generation is also a lot more aware of their Native American blood, so perhaps a first step could be beginning to work with native peoples to take the lead on taking this issues seriously. That might sound crazy, but one of my Pa’s lifelong friends, a full-blood Comanche and lifelong Republican, always regarded Latinos as his brothers owing to the native blood they carry and the way they were able to carry some vestiges of their native cultures over into their Spanish indoctrination. Is that a lock on the Latino vote? Naw. It’s a good place to start though.

Old 11-20-2022, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I wouldn’t say mostly…many for sure, though. The republicans have long ignored a giant blind spot in connecting with a lot of the Christian faction of the Republican Party and pushing on the family values angle. Self sufficiency is a bigger deal than you’d realize as well, as Hispanic men are typically looked on as providers and tend to work hard, another solid connection with the Republican Party. Those two are the most solid bedrock, especially with older voters. Shoring up younger voters is a lot more tricky, but the younger generation is also a lot more aware of their Native American blood, so perhaps a first step could be beginning to work with native peoples to take the lead on taking this issues seriously. That might sound crazy, but one of my Pa’s lifelong friends, a full-blood Comanche and lifelong Republican, always regarded Latinos as his brothers owing to the native blood they carry and the way they were able to carry some vestiges of their native cultures over into their Spanish indoctrination. Is that a lock on the Latino vote? Naw. It’s a good place to start though.
They are Amerindians and not any more native American than anyone else born our soil from citizen parents but yes most Mexicans/Latinos on our soil are a mix of Amerindian and Spanish and are referred to as Mestizos. You didn't mention how the Republicans should reach out to them. What does that mean exactly? Please be specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies