Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 10:48 AM

43,209 posts, read 18,363,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Taxes and fees could be different in other states. But I highly question the "estimated" loss of $500,000. Think that may be more drama than reality.

I know a couple of people who were "stealth" workers, but maintained a legal residence in their employer's State. No one in the company was aware.

The problem with this isn't just the employer. But if the employee is on an HMO Health Insurance plan, when they leave the State their plan has to stay behind. They have to get a new HMO Plan or go to a PPO, in the new State. If the insurance is through their Employer, they can't get away with not informing their employer if they still want insurance.
Grayworks contracts for hospitality workers.
They are a gig economy app on your phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 11:32 AM

5,757 posts, read 4,718,012 times
I know there are some tech workers who lived/worked in Silicon Valley,and then secretly moved to other places and did not inform their company that they moved due to the possibility that the company would reduce their pay since they no longer lived in expensive bay area, and now live in a place with a much lower COL.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:38 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,006,409 times
Something's fishy here: why would a company paying more taxes per se positively affect the employer? It wouldn't. Labor laws are a different story, but this article is focusing more on taxes. Their enemy is the one collecting taxes, not the employee. But it's easier to step on the workers than fight the state. Sounds like a legal and fiscal mess, I'll admit.

I think this is about the employer paying as little as physically possible for the exact same value, based on COL. Worker exploitation in the spotlight. Tough, pay me. I guess gaming the system is only okay for capitalists.

Old 11-22-2022, 11:40 AM

43,209 posts, read 18,363,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Something's fishy here: why would a company paying more taxes per se positively affect the employer? It wouldn't. Labor laws are a different story, but this article is focusing more on taxes.

I think this is about the employer paying as little as physically possible for the exact same value, based on COL. Worker exploitation in the spotlight. Tough, pay me. I guess gaming the system is only okay for capitalists.
This is the gig industry....they are the stealth workers also not paying taxes on their own paychecks

These are not established worker contracting companies.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:02 PM

779 posts, read 425,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeSliver View Post
They made me hourly. I used to be salary, but after the pandemic they changed it for a lot of us.

I work from home now, and I can get much of my work done in the span of a few hours. Which frees up the rest of my day. Hell I can get a job done the first day of the week. Either way they get their product.

I’ve taken my work to Vegas aswell.

Bosses are happy with my work, and I’m happy with my extra freedom. Working on music and having time to go to the gym early, makes things more streamlined.

I do miss interacting with co-workers though.
Don't you make a good deal less money now that they changed you from salary to hourly? Since you're getting everything done each day in a few hours?

Old 11-22-2022, 12:03 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,006,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
This is the gig industry....they are the stealth workers also not paying taxes on their own paychecks

These are not established worker contracting companies.
Gotcha. This has interesting future legal implications!

Old 11-22-2022, 12:08 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,199,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Some remote workers relished their newfound freedom away from their desks, giving rise to a growing crop of digital nomads life who worked from alternative living situations like a van on the road or from Airbnbs in countries offering digital nomad visas like Portugal.

Tattling tax return forms are revealing employees’ secrets. Alex Atwood, CEO at Virginia-based recruiting app GravyWork, told Borchers one of his stealth workers who had worked in Texas and California, unbeknownst to him, cost him up to $30,000 in taxes and fees since GravyWork wasn’t registered as a business in those states.

He estimated it cost him more like $500,000 between that and lost productivity from dealing with it all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smal...0216f7d724d26e
Someone asked me yesterday where my office was. I said: "In the cloud." With zoom conferences I don't have to leave home.

I don't think employers are losing a lot of money if workers do their jobs. The only ones I feel for sorry for are the people who used to work in the downtown luncheon spots. They really cut back on those jobs.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:52 PM

10,919 posts, read 4,586,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Obviously the CFO just isn't qualified to do payroll if it takes them most of the year to figure out how to handle one employee.

lol, well there is that...I didnt read close enuf to realize it was just one person...

Old 11-22-2022, 01:53 PM

10,919 posts, read 4,586,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
With zoom conferences I don't have to leave home.

or wear pants. Its the little things in life.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:59 PM

7,461 posts, read 3,879,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Yup...I was doing WFH in the late 90's and that was no "walk in the park"...early adopter here

Today...OMG what a piece of cake ..easy peasy to WFH wherever you want.
I started WFH in 1990. No Internet, so not even FTP.

I moved work between the office and home on 5¼-inch and 3½-inch floppies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies