Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 07:48 AM

11,504 posts, read 6,008,999 times

Advertisements

Some remote workers relished their newfound freedom away from their desks, giving rise to a growing crop of digital nomads life who worked from alternative living situations like a van on the road or from Airbnbs in countries offering digital nomad visas like Portugal.

Tattling tax return forms are revealing employees’ secrets. Alex Atwood, CEO at Virginia-based recruiting app GravyWork, told Borchers one of his stealth workers who had worked in Texas and California, unbeknownst to him, cost him up to $30,000 in taxes and fees since GravyWork wasn’t registered as a business in those states.

He estimated it cost him more like $500,000 between that and lost productivity from dealing with it all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smal...0216f7d724d26e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 09:42 AM

10,869 posts, read 4,540,181 times
I doubt the articles mention of costs is factually true. It might be true that a screw up state like Cali requires workers to register in...but most of the union? WGAS.

We both were home for the plague, although I had been for years preceding as occupational flex (a fed term). she still is 100% at home, her company actually plans to stop leasing 1 floor of their brick and mortar location. and while the evac order is lifted and I travel to 'mecca' to fulfill the locality requirement, NTEU is working to get all IT home forever - the savings of NOT having floor-plan is tremendous and yall want uncle sam to cost cut right?

The last 2 years we did the carlisle truck show, since the setup days are not that interesting to her, she 'worked from home' in our RV in the middle of the Carlisle fairgrounds with the genset running keeping her cool as a cucumber and her verizon hotspot connected - zero change in her productivity but she was happier end of day. 2 vacay days saved. (plus I got the best home cooked meals while sitting in the middle of the carlisle fairgrounds so I had ZERO downside)

Portable IT work is the new sexy. Spent a lot of my career making it so, starting with the IBM Yacht program circa 1990. You're welcome btw. Since jobs like mine in 'disaster recovery' are best served if none of the recoverers live anywhere near what antifa might endeavor to blow up, it works out. we spent all this money on networks and zooms and skypes and teams and remote desktop and tivoli etc...might as well use it.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:47 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I doubt the articles mention of costs is factually true. It might be true that a screw up state like Cali requires workers to register in...but most of the union? WGAS.

We both were home for the plague, although I had been for years preceding as occupational flex (a fed term). she still is 100% at home, her company actually plans to stop leasing 1 floor of their brick and mortar location. and while the evac order is lifted and I travel to 'mecca' to fulfill the locality requirement, NTEU is working to get all IT home forever - the savings of NOT having floor-plan is tremendous and yall want uncle sam to cost cut right?

The last 2 years we did the carlisle truck show, since the setup days are not that interesting to her, she 'worked from home' in our RV in the middle of the Carlisle fairgrounds with the genset running keeping her cool as a cucumber and her verizon hotspot connected - zero change in her productivity but she was happier end of day. 2 vacay days saved. (plus I got the best home cooked meals while sitting in the middle of the carlisle fairgrounds so I had ZERO downside)

Portable IT work is the new sexy. Spent a lot of my career making it so, starting with the IBM Yacht program circa 1990. You're welcome btw. Since jobs like mine in 'disaster recovery' are best served if none of the recoverers live anywhere near what antifa might endeavor to blow up, it works out. we spent all this money on networks and zooms and skypes and teams and remote desktop and tivoli etc...might as well use it.
Yup...I was doing WFH in the late 90's and that was no "walk in the park"...early adopter here

Today...OMG what a piece of cake ..easy peasy to WFH wherever you want.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:52 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post

Well simplifying the tax laws would be good I'm in agreement. If it actually cost 30k in taxes that's a very high compensation individual. And if it actually cost 270k to comply with tax law that's just competence. At some point it's easier to just higher ADP rather than have your CFO spend most of the year trying to figure out how to comply with payroll requirements for one employee. Obviously the CFO just isn't qualified to do payroll if it takes them most of the year to figure out how to handle one employee.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:55 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Interesting article. You would have thought that companies would have addressed this.

I'm a little confused about the claim in the article about the one worker who had worked in 2 states and that his company didn't have a license to work in both. Did the employee lie about where his permanent residence was? Doesn't that make the employee liable for the extra charges given they lied?

So if you are working remote and go to California to visit, you have to register in California that you are working while visiting ?

Old 11-22-2022, 09:55 AM

Well the gig economy better learn up on taxes, working across state lines, etc.

That company...GravyWork is a gig worker startup APP.

Established contracting companies already know this and it's part of their contracts.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Interesting article. You would have thought that companies would have addressed this.

I'm a little confused about the claim in the article about the one worker who had worked in 2 states and that his company didn't have a license to work in both. Did the employee lie about where his permanent residence was? Doesn't that make the employee liable for the extra charges given they lied?

So if you are working remote and go to California to visit, you have to register in California that you are working while visiting ?
Established contracting companies do know this have have taken care of their business for decades.
But these new startup apps for gig workers .....

Old 11-22-2022, 10:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Reminds me of a condition I was told back in acting school. That is, especially for commercials, you are suppose to tell them the previous work you have done for if you have, say, been the picture girl for one shampoo company but then do a commercial for the competing shampoo company, the second company might have to reshoot the commercial......and you'll get charged for it.

Of course, it also sounds like the Am*** "disasters" we were told about back in the 80s in telecommunications where "Jonathan Smith" is called into the VP's office of the big telecommunications company and told to have "Mrs. Smith" to stop selling on the side for Am*** because that's a conflict of interest (ie, Am*** carrying desk telephones for sale).

Watch your back.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:29 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Some remote workers relished their newfound freedom away from their desks, giving rise to a growing crop of digital nomads life who worked from alternative living situations like a van on the road or from Airbnbs in countries offering digital nomad visas like Portugal.

Tattling tax return forms are revealing employees’ secrets. Alex Atwood, CEO at Virginia-based recruiting app GravyWork, told Borchers one of his stealth workers who had worked in Texas and California, unbeknownst to him, cost him up to $30,000 in taxes and fees since GravyWork wasn’t registered as a business in those states.

He estimated it cost him more like $500,000 between that and lost productivity from dealing with it all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smal...0216f7d724d26e
Taxes and fees could be different in other states. But I highly question the "estimated" loss of $500,000. Think that may be more drama than reality.

I know a couple of people who were "stealth" workers, but maintained a legal residence in their employer's State. No one in the company was aware.

The problem with this isn't just the employer. But if the employee is on an HMO Health Insurance plan, when they leave the State their plan has to stay behind. They have to get a new HMO Plan or go to a PPO, in the new State. If the insurance is through their Employer, they can't get away with not informing their employer if they still want insurance.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:36 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
It's not difficult to understand.

Taxes, fees, and employment laws are very different depending on the states. Workers have different rights in different states. For an employer to follow the law, they need to know where the FT employee is. Not applicable to freelancers.

It's why you sometimes see lists of states on LinkedIn job descriptions.

As far as health insurance, well, that's up to the employer, and they will offer plans that are available in the states they allow FT employees to work. They are not obligated to even offer health insurance, so if an employee moves, that's on the employee. When hired the employee is told about the insurance available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies