Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2022, 06:35 AM

29,446 posts, read 14,628,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
WFH has forced actual production of work where before you had those people who wander around talking to people all day long. Brown nosing has become more difficult when your at home. My employer even the executives are working from home 90% of the time. Employee surveys found employees are much happier and less likely to leave the company. Retaining employees saves the company lot of money generally going to pay more for a replacement as well as training.
Absolutely spot on.
As far as the brown nosers go, we have a internal company facebook type of page. They have adapted to that pretty well. Some of their comments make some entertaining reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 08:17 AM

984 posts, read 441,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Whatever. I'm back in the office 4 days a week, getting face time with Directors, Sr. Directors and VPs. Building my rep daily and they all know my name.

When the time comes for promotions or layoffs, who do you think is going to move up or be safe? Not the people who have never been in the office and nobody knows what they look like or can remember their names half the time.

Being good at your job is just a small part of the equation. Relationships matter and it's really hard to build that in a pure WFH environment, no matter what the Doordash addicted shut-ins tell you.
My whole team is remote. I got a big promotion over the summer.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Whatever. I'm back in the office 4 days a week, getting face time with Directors, Sr. Directors and VPs. Building my rep daily and they all know my name.

When the time comes for promotions or layoffs, who do you think is going to move up or be safe? Not the people who have never been in the office and nobody knows what they look like or can remember their names half the time.

Being good at your job is just a small part of the equation. Relationships matter and it's really hard to build that in a pure WFH environment, no matter what the Doordash addicted shut-ins tell you.
Old school works for some.

Some jobs just don't operate remotely.

Some people don't work well remotely.

It is hard for some people to develop relationships online...and for others it is a breeze.

My son has had great success, number of promotions working from home. He works in teams. He is a valued member of his team and is often loaned out to other teams because he is so respected. It works for him, his company, his co-workers and the kind of work he does.

So enjoy your work life...but don't kid yourself you are better off than someone who is working from home. It all depends on the individual circumstance.

Old 12-05-2022, 08:24 AM

17,147 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
My whole team is remote. I got a big promotion over the summer.
But how?? The seniors, Directors, VPs aren't watching you work at your cubicle!! How do they know you're working?

Old 12-05-2022, 08:27 AM

984 posts, read 441,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
But how?? The seniors, Directors, VPs aren't watching you work at your cubicle!! How do they know you're working?
Results speak for themselves.

Old 12-05-2022, 11:47 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My envy doesn't come from wishing ill toward those benefiting from WFH. My envy comes from being cheated out of the full retirement benefits everyone got since before I was born.

When you retired, you could move to a place where homes were cheap that lacked the job base to cause soaring home prices. No sooner do I retire and move to Knoxville, than I now have to compete with programmers from Sunnyvale and investment bankers from Manhattan WFH but can afford much more house than me and overpaying for it, pushing up house prices.

It used to be the neighborhood was peaceful and empty because everbody worked during the day. Neighborhods are now full 24/7. My aparment parking lot is full all the time. It used to be I could shop during the day and get a prime parking spot near my apartment door before the workers commuted home for work.

It used to be retirees had stores and shops all to themselves mid-day, but now everybody is out and around shopping at times during their WFH day.

It used to be suburban roads were empty outside of rush hour, with so many workers stuck downtown or at office parks. Now they are running around where retirees are.

So I don't wish WFH peolpe ill, so much as I am being cheated out of the old fashioned retiree experience I worked 45 years to get to.

I get it. It is what it is. I am not obsessed or anything. The only real stil is the high home prices all out of proportion to the amount of jobs based in Knoxville with WFH allowing peole to WFH here and cause a housing boom that has priced me out of a local home for now.

It is a whatever, but I know my retiree quality of life would be somewhat better if more people were stuck locally to their employer's location, rather than moving to Knoxville at this time.

I know that I would have loved to leave California and WFH from in Virginia Beach or Mount Pleasant my last 20 years of work.

WFH folks win. The rest of us lose. The world changes. It is what it is. I am still happy. It is all good.
All that extra daytime traffic and crowded stores started long before COVID lockdowns and WFH. I remember it in Maryland in 2010 when I retired. We just have too many people these days.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:25 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
All that extra daytime traffic and crowded stores started long before COVID lockdowns and WFH. I remember it in Maryland in 2010 when I retired. We just have too many people these days.
Agreed. For years I while still working I would be frustrated by crowds whenever I tried to run an errand in the middle of my workday. So I decided a long time ago to alter my lunch hour so I wasn't on the road at noon with everyone else, but it made no difference; every hour of every day, the roads and stores would be full. It's not that we have "too many people"; it's that we have too many people not working, for whatever reason that may be (unemployed, on welfare, stay at home mothers, etc.), and now we have the WFH bunch on top of that, but it's definitely not a new phenomenon. Every day, there are long lines of cars dropping kids off at school and picking them up again in the middle of the afternoon -- what a waste of fossil fuel! -- one parent and one kid to a car. My mother stayed home, my father stayed at the office, and we rode busses, but it's a new world, apparently. Then there's usually a stop at the grocery or for fast food after that. I always wonder how so many parents (looks like almost all of them) have an hour or two or three to spare for this daily (if they have jobs, do their bosses let them off?), but they do. I've been asking for years, "Doesn't anybody work?" I don't see much of an increase in this since WFH began.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:29 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,139 times
any job that works well fully remote would be stupid to bring their staff back full time, unless they want a mass resignation to happen.

Most office jobs can be done from home. Gives employees a better quality of life, and gives employers the advantage of not having to pay high rent for office space or at least downsize.

Only the old school control freaks (ahem Goldman Sachs and the like) want the pre-2020 way to return.

Old 12-05-2022, 02:00 PM

11,424 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Understand something. This is a crusade. The use of terms like brown nosers and dictators is evidence of this. What you read here is tame and polite compared to Redd it for example.

How it will play out??? I dunno.

Personally, I am a fan of 2/3 or 3/2 hybrid.
Doesn't that still force many people to live in high cost areas? You have to be fully WFH to buy a cheap home in Witchita Kansas.

I can see if you have to drive in once a week, you could probably live in an exurb up to 2 hours away from work. A once weekly 4-hour commute may be an acceptable tradeoff for an affordable home in a quiet neighborhood with safety and prefered amenities. If you are 2/3 hybrid, you are going to want to be closer to work.

Old 12-05-2022, 04:47 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
any job that works well fully remote would be stupid to bring their staff back full time, unless they want a mass resignation to happen.
And thousands of middle managers just thought "Yay! Easiest lay-offs ever!" These would of course be the sort of middle managers who think that "warm body in chair for 8 hours" = "meaningful contribution".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies