Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2022, 07:37 PM

15,715 posts, read 9,579,629 times

Advertisements

What we know. Moore County in North Carolina remains mostly in the dark tonight after someone shot up several power substations.

Quote:
The outages are the result of intentional damage by firearms to two substations in the county, according to Moore County and Duke Energy officials.

Moore County Sheriff Ronnie Fields, who at a Sunday afternoon press conference called the perpetrators “cowards,” announced a Sunday curfew from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. The curfew is part of a countywide state of emergency proclamation, effective 4 p.m. Sunday.

“No group has stepped up to acknowledge or accept that they’re the ones who’ve done it, so I call them cowards,” Fields said.
In addition to the curfew, schools are closed on Monday and Tuesday. Hospitals have been affected. There was at least one wreck caused by the power outage. If things are not back to normal soon, officials are expecting cooler weather to start by the end of the week.

So who did this? No one knows yet. But they have been questioning folks.

Quote:
Fields said Sunday that state and federal investigators are looking into protesters of a Saturday drag queen show at Sunrise Theater in downtown Southern Pines, but that so far they have not been able to make that connection.

Earlier in the day Saturday, protesters had gathered outside the theater, upset about a drag show planned for the small venue later that night.

On her Facebook page, Emily Grace Rainey, an outspoken opponent of the drag show, posted an invitation to the protest at the theater. After the lights went out out, Rainey, who became known in Moore County during the pandemic for her opposition to mask mandates, posted on Facebook that, “The power is out in Moore County and I know why.”
Crazy times. I hope there was no political motivation by whoever did this.

Latest update: Attack by ‘cowards’ could leave Moore County without power for days

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article269579392.html#storylink=cpy

Old 12-04-2022, 08:36 PM

26,132 posts, read 19,080,534 times
How electrifying. But why would they build a power substation above a drag show?

Old 12-04-2022, 08:47 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,878 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Meanwhile, 40K people are without power, in below freezing temps, some of them in desperate need for O2 tanks, etc.

This incident highlights how apparently two people can take out a town's power. These aren't just repairs that need to be made - they have to replace equipment which will take several days.

Our power supply, food safety, and water supply is fragile as long as people are willing to commit crimes that sabotage their communities.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:53 PM

The woman mentioned in the post I made earlier, Emily Grace, who has been railing against the drag show, has said on her Facebook page that the police have cleared her. I've seen nothing official on that yet. Reading her page, apparently she recently had a married man's child if I read the posts right. Being on her page makes me feel like I need to be deloused though.

https://www.facebook.com/emily.rainey.94

Specific post about her "imperfect but happy" family

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...a.479207885996

Old 12-04-2022, 09:09 PM

26,132 posts, read 19,080,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Did Opponents To A Drag Show Cut Power to a North Carolina County?
Oh yes. No doubt about that. They also detonated a nuclear warhead in a NYC borough and sank one of our carriers in the South China Sea.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
This is a perfect example of media bias.

“Let us supplant the idea that right-wingers shut down the power, even though we cannot confirm it, and even after the local police have stated that there is no evidence to suggest they did.”.

If Antifa had been in the area, would the media have suggested that they could have been the cause of the power outage? Doubtful.

I thought the media was supposed to report facts, not speculation?
The police literally questioned the woman about it. Not reporting that tidbit would be the media bias. She claims the police have cleared her on her Facebook page. I am not seeing this from an official source yet.

Old 12-04-2022, 09:19 PM

24,217 posts, read 12,867,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
What we know. Moore County in North Carolina remains mostly in the dark tonight after someone shot up several power substations.

In addition to the curfew, schools are closed on Monday and Tuesday. Hospitals have been affected. There was at least one wreck caused by the power outage. If things are not back to normal soon, officials are expecting cooler weather to start by the end of the week.

So who did this? No one knows yet. But they have been questioning folks.

Quote:
Fields said Sunday that state and federal investigators are looking into protesters of a Saturday drag queen show at Sunrise Theater in downtown Southern Pines, but that so far they have not been able to make that connection.

Earlier in the day Saturday, protesters had gathered outside the theater, upset about a drag show planned for the small venue later that night.

On her Facebook page, Emily Grace Rainey, an outspoken opponent of the drag show, posted an invitation to the protest at the theater. After the lights went out out, Rainey, who became known in Moore County during the pandemic for her opposition to mask mandates, posted on Facebook that, “The power is out in Moore County and I know why.”
Crazy times. I hope there was no political motivation by whoever did this.

Latest update: Attack by ‘cowards’ could leave Moore County without power for days

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article269579392.html#storylink=cpy
""The power is out in Moore County and I know why.""

You snipped off the punch line, she said God did it.

She's a nutjob.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:08 PM

15,566 posts, read 10,573,879 times
They don't know who did it. Remember that big one in Northern California about ten years ago. Those guys had an elaborate attack, I don't think they ever got caught. Seems like a lot of risk for stopping a drag queen show, but who knows.

Last edited by elan; 12-04-2022 at 10:57 PM..

Old 12-05-2022, 09:50 AM

Default FBI Officially Joins The North Carolina Power Outage Investigation

According to CNN, the FBI has officially oined the investigation into the shooting of several power substations in Moore County, North Carolina.

Quote:
In addition to the FBI, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation has joined the investigation, officials said.

About 36,000 customers were still in the dark in the state Monday morning, according to Poweroutage.us data.
FBI joins investigation into North Carolina power outage caused by ‘intentional’ attacks on substations

With a motive still unclear at this time, this is a prime candidate for a Politics or Other Controversies thread. Republicans cannot cry about the "summer or love" protests on one hand then try to ride and hide when their side does he same thing. Emily Grace, whom police questioned briefly on Saturday night, has not shied away from making public posts on her Facebook page concerning the power outage which she claims was God's work.

Quote:
I could make my FB private. I could turn off the comments. But I want Christians to see that evil exists; to look it in the face. They hate you because of Christ in you. They scorned, slandered and lied about Christ too. They will do the same to you if you dare to tell the world about Him who died for our sins. Christ is King!
I will hand her one thing. Her bonkers posts are making me see that evil does indeed exist.

Emily Grace

Old 12-05-2022, 10:16 AM

10,046 posts, read 5,761,345 times
Just when they were THIS close to identifying whomever planted those explosive devices at the RNC and DNC headquarters on Jan 5th 2021....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies