Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2022, 11:32 AM

46,976 posts, read 26,026,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Where in the article does it say this group are activists ?

I did read they lobbied and donated.
Lobbying is political activism. Come on.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:33 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,738,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No, you're wrong, and the poster you're replying to is correct.

Here is the summary of the case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master...hts_Commission

It was about refusing to decorate the cake for/specifically to celebrate a gay wedding, not an overall refusal of service, nor even denial of buying a cake, but rather a refusal for decorating a cake for that particular event because gay marriage is against his religious beliefs. It was about asking him to tacitly approve a celebration that goes against his religious beliefs, not the face of their being gay.

If that couple's birthdays had been two days apart and they had come in and asked for custom decorated cakes for each of their birthdays, then he would have done that, as celebrating birthdays isn't against his religious beliefs, with sexual orientation being irrelevant to people wanting to celebrate their birthdays.
You and the other poster are wrong. I don't care how many Wiki articles you link. The reason the baker refused to bake a cake is because homosexuality is against his religion. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be an issue. This restaurant chose to deny service because this group of Christians represented everything they are opposed to. There is absolutely no difference between the two. They both chose to deny service because they were opposed to a quality unique to both parties.

I don't care how much you try and spin this, it's the exact same reasoning. On top of all that, private businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone they choose.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
There would be no bi-sexuals if everyone was born a certain way.
Amazing.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:35 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,449,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The group's reason for being (anti gay activists) is by its nature disrespecting gay people.
Indeed, their Facebook page calls the recently passed Respect for Marriage Act designed to codify recognition of same sex marriages in all states as the (Dis)Respect for Marriage Act.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:37 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,272,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
So you're confident the group that was denied service would lose a civil suit, or you're not confident they would lose? Which is it?
I don't know. I'm not a lawyer or a legal scholar. I think they should lose, if they're suing based on religious discrimination, since their being Christian clearly had nothing to do with their being refused service. But I don't claim to know how this particular Puritan-1600's-originalist SCOTUS would see it, if it got up that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
To your first point..........yes. They have the right to feel uncomfortable. They do not have the right to refuse service. JMHO
I think that's absolutely ridiculous. Of course a Jewish deli should have a right to refuse business to Nazis. What a weird world that would be, where you always have to do business with everyone, no matter what, under any circumstance.

And I can't believe I'm arguing with conservatives, who are taking the position against the rights of a private business to discriminate who they do business with. This is like a role reversal.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:39 AM

4,676 posts, read 4,990,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I don't know. I'm not a lawyer or a legal scholar. I think they should lose, if they're suing based on religious discrimination, since their being Christian clearly had nothing to do with their being refused service. But I don't claim to know how this particular Puritan-1600's-originalist SCOTUS would see it, if it got up that far.

I think that's absolutely ridiculous. Of course a Jewish deli should have a right to refuse business to Nazis. What a weird world that would be, where you always have to do business with everyone, no matter what, under any circumstance.

And I can't believe I'm arguing with conservatives, who are taking the position against the rights of a private business to discriminate who they do business with. This is like a role reversal.
You keep saying this. On what grounds, I have no idea. How the hell do you know that being Christian "clearly had nothing to do" with their being refused service? You heard the owner's conversations with staff? You saw their texts back and forth? What facts are you looking at that are leading you to state this?

Old 12-08-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Before the ridiculous Supreme Court ruling, gay people had a number of issues related to parental rights, inheritance, medical rights with their partner, benefits, etc. None of those issues had to be solved by redefining marriage.
Good Christians did everything in their power to see to it that these issues remained unresolved and in fact unresolvable. The idea that it was a fight over the word "marriage" is nothing but post-loss spin from the bigots. They overplayed their hand for political gain and lost. Stupid.

But if you don't like the Supreme Court making that finding and ensuring the rights of same-sex couples, you'll be happy to hear that Congress has just handed off the Respect for Marriage Act for President Joe Biden to sign into law.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:45 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,272,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You keep saying this. On what grounds, I have no idea. How the hell do you know that being Christian "clearly had nothing to do" with their being refused service? You heard the owner's conversations with staff? You saw their texts back and forth? What facts are you looking at that are leading you to state this?
All I have is what the news articles are reporting, plus common sense and logic. Here's a news article on the incident:

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news...dvocacy-group/

Here are the exact words of the people who did the discriminating, describing why they did the discriminating:

Nothing in there at all about anyone's religion. And a specific mention of the fact that they very rarely ever refuse service to anyone. I'm sure they've had Christians visit the establishment a lot more often than "very rarely".

Old 12-08-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Indeed, their Facebook page calls the recently passed Respect for Marriage Act designed to codify recognition of same sex marriages in all states as the (Dis)Respect for Marriage Act.
So goddamn childish. "Mine! Won't share!"

Old 12-08-2022, 11:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,503,810 times
Quote:
Stupid argument.

Some are. Many choose. And some change.

There would be no bi-sexuals if everyone was born a certain way.
well tell it to the gays... they are the ones who were saying (and even had t-shirts) that they "Are born that way"

so why was it "they are born that way" for gays... but the tranny's get to choose, and UNDO the way they were born

why is the LGTQ "family" so two-faced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies