Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2022, 10:19 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,970,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I object to Black Lives Matter. If a black person comes into my bar and I take a card to start their tab, google the name, and find that the person is a habitual attendee of BLM protests, and then I kick the person out, how confident should I be that I'm not going to get hit with a civil rights lawsuit saying I discriminated based on race? Because I don't think I'd feel very confident.
That's a good question. If the person came in wearing a BLM t-shirt in your scenario, I think you could ask him to leave or take off the t-shirt. Likewise, if the person begins spouting off BLM propaganda, you could also ask him to leave.

In the case of the group coming to the restaurant, they planned a dinner meeting where they would be publically discussing their anti gay activities while being served by gay staff. Why should the gay staff have to put up with that kind of disrespect? I wouldn't want them in the restaurant under those conditions.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:20 AM

38,008 posts, read 22,193,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
Begs the question why google in the first place. Does the restaurant google every organization who wants to have a lunch or dinner? If so, why wait until an hour prior to cancel? Doesn't seem the safety and respect of the employees was the motive for this charade.
It is creepy, to think that some restaurant are going to perform research using Google or social media, and then cancel your reservation if your political opinions disagree with theirs. What's next, being denied a reservation at a restaurant because the staff or owner don't like your religion or skin color?

Old 12-08-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
No, it's a misunderstanding, probably an intentional one, of an important difference.

A group of Nazis in full uniform storming into a Jewish deli represents a clear and present danger to a reasonable person. That's why you would kick them out (and you would have the law behind you).

That doesn't exist in this case. It's just a group having dinner and not, in any reasonable person's head, coming there to cause problems.
It was to be a dinner meeting to discuss their anti gay activities, to be waited on by gay staff. Not just a random group of church people.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
If a woman cannot have children does that make her not a woman?
You seem to think so, if I try to follow your "logic."

Old 12-08-2022, 10:24 AM

32,818 posts, read 19,511,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What, gay people fighting to abolish straight marriage?

The group is not being refused service due to its sexual orientation. It's being refused service due to its fighting for discrimination against those of specific sexual orientations.

You can pick what causes you give your time and money. You cannot pick your sexual orientation (or skin color, or heritage, or disability). We protect the groups that people cannot help being members of.

Is this difficult or something?
correct you can not pick you sexual orientation (who you are attracted to) or your sex/gender....its how you are born

Old 12-08-2022, 10:24 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Wrong. That baker refused service because he claimed homosexuality is contradictory to his religious (Christian) beliefs. You can keep pretending that it's not the same if you want to continue fueling your pseudo-outrage but it doesn't change the facts.
No, you're wrong, and the poster you're replying to is correct.

Here is the summary of the case:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master...hts_Commission

It was about refusing to decorate the cake for/specifically to celebrate a gay wedding, not an overall refusal of service, nor even denial of buying a cake, but rather a refusal for decorating a cake for that particular event because gay marriage is against his religious beliefs. It was about asking him to tacitly approve a celebration that goes against his religious beliefs, not the face of their being gay.

If that couple's birthdays had been two days apart and they had come in and asked for custom decorated cakes for each of their birthdays, then he would have done that, as celebrating birthdays isn't against his religious beliefs, with sexual orientation being irrelevant to people wanting to celebrate their birthdays.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:25 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Which is not the same thing as "working against" the LGBT "community".
Exactly.

Before the ridiculous Supreme Court ruling, gay people had a number of issues related to parental rights, inheritance, medical rights with their partner, benefits, etc. None of those issues had to be solved by redefining marriage.

But its pretty stupid to keep getting bent out of shape about this idea as it simply will not be changed.

Its like the people who don't like Chik-Fil-A because the founder, who has been dead about 5 years, and who was a wonderful human being, gave money to groups opposed to gay marriage. Yet these people still complain about Chik-Fil-A, who profited immensely from their protests.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
golly. i wonder what would happen if a restaurant refused to serve, say, gay people - citing the same reason?

of course the comPost files this in the Food section.
I say fine...they want to refuse service.... ok...... its within their rightsd... but on the other side of the coin, dont get offended if people then say no to your establishment

Old 12-08-2022, 10:27 AM

4,678 posts, read 4,996,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
You and others here are saying that.

You're saying that an LGBT business establishment that serves Christians all the time every day, who are probably mostly or partly made up of Christians themselves, is discriminating against Christians because they refused service to this particular anti-LGBT group.
The Yemeni immigrant who owns the corner store on the east side of Cleveland serves black people all the time every day, but can he be confident if he chases out a black guy who looks particularly menacing to him and is making the shop owner "feel uncomfortable," you think there won't be anyone saying the guy got kicked out because of his race? Because I assure you there will. Especially if the shop owner let some questionable racial language slip out in the heat of the moment. Then I'd think a civil rights suit might be in play.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Wrong. That baker refused service because he claimed homosexuality is contradictory to his religious (Christian) beliefs. You can keep pretending that it's not the same if you want to continue fueling your pseudo-outrage but it doesn't change the facts.
nope...the baker did NOT refuse service... they stated they will not decorate it the way the couple WANTED it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies