Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 11:42 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
There should be no "poor school districts". State tax money should be divided equally to every district.
State money usually is divided equally. The more affluent neighborhoods hold fundraisers of various type to buy more computers, school supplies, art supplies and the like for their local schools. Individual towns may also contribute on top of the state-provided money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 11:48 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
State money usually is divided equally. The more affluent neighborhoods hold fundraisers of various type to buy more computers, school supplies, art supplies and the like for their local schools. Individual towns may also contribute on top of the state-provided money.
Results vary greatly by states.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
There should be no "poor school districts". State tax money should be divided equally to every district.
But taxes collected for schools does not come just the state......

Old 12-15-2022, 11:49 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:
Just because you fooled around and learned nothing in school doesn't mean all children are like you. For the parents who think school is just daycare, I consider their kids lucky. They will learn a few things while in school all day.
We homeschooled until HS, I should say my wife did/does still with the youngest one. Kids wanted to go to HS and both regret(ed) it. It's nothing more than a compliance program.

Independent thinkers will find school adds zero value to them.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:50 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Here's an idea: pay the good teachers well and get rid of the teachers who suck. That goes double for administrators.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:51 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Actually, I agree with you, but I see the 40 hour school week as more than just 40 hours of class time assigned to reading, writing, and 'rithmatic. With more time than the current schedule, there could be included more play time for the younger grades, more time to take them to museums or other educational field trips, and yes, there would still be breaks for holidays.

I also think the 40 hour year round schedule allows for flexibility to address kids who need more time to grasp a concept.

I think we tend to think of school as only the way we do it here (and day-care) but we can look to other countries or methods to find something that works better for students and teachers.
I don’t necessarily have a problem with school per se. I have a problem with our way of doing it. Montessori schools offer more natural ways of learning amongst peer groups of varying ages, for example, but those are typically private and cost quite a bit. The more we allow children to explore who they are in a safe environment that allows for age appropriate risks and exposures, the better our youth will be when they enter adulthood. It’s really the main reason for us choosing homeschooling, to prepare them for real life. I do feel that the parent is the best person to supervise and control what goes on. Classes of multiple kids cannot have enough supervision for individualized learning experiences.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:51 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,068 times
Quote:
Do you even know how public schools are funded? What equality are you talking about?

Old 12-15-2022, 11:53 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Current proposed legislation would mandate a $60,000 a year starting salary or minimum for public school teachers. Says to keep people on/in job.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/lawm...ry?id=95171907

This was a Bernie Sanders proposal in 2019

Throwing money at a problem that apparently grows on trees.
Agreed - our state spends millions on stupid legal suits and fighting the Feds on every turn.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:56 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times
Quote:
In Milwaukee, even within the county of Milwaukee, there were multiple districts. The richer suburbs had so much more funding than the Milwaukee proper schools…which had like a 30% dropout rate, and the crime and poverty cycles beget themselves continually.

I’m not sure how I feel about states combining all monies to distribute per pupil. Personally I think it should be up to each county and each county should just have one district. The county next to us ALWAYS votes to raise taxes for schools, and we don’t typically do that in my county. We are a poor county but we have a lot of non profits and dedicated parents who work to make ends meet, so it is probably fine. The outcomes might be different since ours is a farming community and I’m guessing we have more dropouts here so they can start work. Nothing wrong with earning an honest living. I tend to look down more on those in the neighboring county with their useless hoity toity degrees that don’t even allow them a good job.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
It is clear people don't have a really good handle on how we fund our schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies