Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 12:46 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
We homeschooled until HS, I should say my wife did/does still with the youngest one. Kids wanted to go to HS and both regret(ed) it. It's nothing more than a compliance program.

Independent thinkers will find school adds zero value to them.
Most parents can teach grade 4 math.
Many can teach grade 8 math.
How many can teach grade 9 algebra 1? (ALL of it. Especially for the high tracked kids)
How about Algebra 2?
Calculus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 12:47 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
We homeschooled until HS, I should say my wife did/does still with the youngest one. Kids wanted to go to HS and both regret(ed) it. It's nothing more than a compliance program.

Independent thinkers will find school adds zero value to them.
I feel the same way about homeschooling.

My brother and I have very different beliefs, values, and points of view from each other and from our parents. So much of that was because we were exposed to lots of different ways of thinking in school. I'm not speaking politically (though certainly it impacted our political beliefs) but our exposure to adults in leadership positions from different backgrounds, religions, interests, and family makeups was instrumental in our success as adults.

If I had been homeschooled, I certainly wouldn't have walked out of high school fluent in a second language and with some basic conversation skills in another. My parents never left the country, and yet I prioritized going to college that would cover study abroad as part of my scholarship because of teachers who spoke about their experience in other countries (as the spouse of a member of the military, teaching English abroad, or immigrating).

Thank G-d that when my parents briefly considered homeschooling me I was able to convince them not to. My education and critical thinking would have suffered tremendously being limited to points of view that my parents either had access to or approved of.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:51 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Last I looked the data shows that education majors have the lowest incoming college test scores of any other group - bottom third. But then again, how smart do you need to be to teach grade school?? Or middle school/junior high?
Tell me about it. My son came home one day from school. I asked what he learned, he said he learned about the different states. Thinking I'd give him a chance to show off what he learned i asked how many states there were. He said he wasn't sure, because when the class asked the teacher, she said she couldn't remember if there were 50, or 51 states. I told him to ask teacher if she ever watched the TV series "Hawaii Five-O." I took him out of that school by the next month.

Old 12-15-2022, 12:58 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

My brother and I have very different beliefs, values, and points of view from each other and from our parents. So much of that was because we were exposed to lots of different ways of thinking in school. I'm not speaking politically (though certainly it impacted our political beliefs) but our exposure to adults in leadership positions from different backgrounds, religions, interests, and family makeups was instrumental in our success as adults.

If I had been homeschooled, I certainly wouldn't have walked out of high school fluent in a second language and with some basic conversation skills in another. My parents never left the country, and yet I prioritized going to college that would cover study abroad as part of my scholarship because of teachers who spoke about their experience in other countries (as the spouse of a member of the military, teaching English abroad, or immigrating).

Thank G-d that when my parents briefly considered homeschooling me I was able to convince them not to. My education and critical thinking would have suffered tremendously being limited to points of view that my parents either had access to or approved of.
That's narrow minded thinking on your part. Maybe you are not as broad and introspective a thinker as you believe.

You seem to think home schooled children are locked into the basement, forced to learn from whatever mom can whip up, and cut off from everything else.

For a few decades now, people go on-line to join home school groups. My sister home schooled all of her children, for close to twenty years. She was a licensed eye doctor, with a scholarship for being a gifted violinist and artist. She taught art, science, biology, math and music to the children of her home school group.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:02 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Starting down the path of price controls for skilled labor, are we? I'm sure it'll end well.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:27 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That's narrow minded thinking on your part. Maybe you are not as broad and introspective a thinker as you believe.

You seem to think home schooled children are locked into the basement, forced to learn from whatever mom can whip up, and cut off from everything else.

For a few decades now, people go on-line to join home school groups. My sister home schooled all of her children, for close to twenty years. She was a licensed eye doctor, with a scholarship for being a gifted violinist and artist. She taught art, science, biology, math and music to the children of her home school group.
I did a lot of activities with homeschoolers since I was very active in 4H as a kid.

While certainly there's a range of homeschool families and points of view, but families tend to flock to others with similar viewpoints. I was the first non-Christian anyone in the homeschool group who carpooled to the 4H wildlife judging practice had met - and they were in high school! That's a failure on the parents' part and one that more access to online resources hopefully helps reduce (though that certainly was available when I was a kid, too!).

Old 12-15-2022, 01:30 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Current proposed legislation would mandate a $60,000 a year starting salary or minimum for public school teachers.
The way the Democrats' inflation is going now, that will be below the poverty line in about 3 years.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:39 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

You're making (outdated) assumptions about homeschooling. I have a PhD, my wife's IQ is north of 160. We took our kids all over world, and lived with our kids on three different continents. They're all bi-lingual. My senior is buying a business, and the freshman is one of the top athletes in his sport and is being recruited by professional teams...at the age of 15. None of this came about through centralized schooling.

We allowed our boys to make the choice to go or not to go to HS. They go to one of the top public high schools in the country.

What you describe of your experience, and your reasoning, at least to me, is all surface based. Intellectual, yet lacks any depth. And, that's exactly what my boys say about HS.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:40 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
There should be no "poor school districts". State tax money should be divided equally to every district.
That's the theory. Sort of.

What many states do is set a base level of State per pupil funding and then pump additional money towards the poorer districts.

What that means in Maryland is that Baltimore City and Prince George's County schools get much more state per pupil money than wealthier districts like Montgomery and Howard Counties, which means that the latter jurisdictions put in more local money than the former ones.

Maryland also has a state required Maintenance of Effort law which requires that next year's County school budget maintains the same per pupil spending as this year. That really rears up and bites the fast growing jurisdictions.

Old 12-15-2022, 01:51 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Unfortunately getting rid of the teachers who suck gets harder every year because there aren’t enough people interested in teaching to get a really good quality applicant pool in many areas. So too many schools are operating under ‘any warm body’ in front of a classroom and relying on permanent subs to limp through the school year.
You're putting the cart in front of the horse, which is to say, that's because the good teachers and sucky teachers within a given area get paid roughly the same no matter the results they produce. So guess which type has the greater incentive to leave and which has the greater incentive to stay?

It also doesn't help that administrative bureaucracy often hamstrings the more creative (which often coincides with "better") teachers and rewards the more obedient ones. In short, the more you try to make a difference and/or hold students primarily accountable for their own success, the more likely you are to ruffle feathers and get drummed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies