Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 11:27 AM

79,159 posts, read 61,300,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
He suspended the accounts of any account mocking him.
You really just pooped the bed with that post. Rational discussion is impossible here.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:33 AM

17,715 posts, read 17,954,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I don't remember what Twitter banned except the NY Post...and they reinstated it and have agreed it shouldn't have been deleted.

No problem with Musk having the right to do what he did but it was handled poorly and created a bigger exposure of Mastadon and their doxxing. Not sure that was the end goal.

But if it is all about getting back/revenge....it worked. If it was about minimizing the impact of doxxing -- FAILED.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ieve-elon-musk

Old 12-16-2022, 11:50 AM

22,064 posts, read 25,429,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The doxxing issue to me is all about context.

If someone is tweeting about their favorite pizza places in Chicago and someone puts forth the address of Giordanos that's one thing.

If someone is tweeting about child sex trafficking and puts forth the address of Comet Pizza, that's all kinds of wrong. Now sure, that info is public...but you just tacked it onto something that can get people hurt.

So I'm not a big fan about twitter threads tracking *anybody*. I feel it can foster a mob mentality and encourage someone with mental issues to do something that they otherwise wouldn't do on their own. I'd think that after a number of high profile attacks over the years that people would be a little more sensitive to this regardless of your politics.
None of which makes it doxxing.

It's libel certainly, possibly hate speech. The closest thing would probably be some kind of vigilante swatting where instead of intentionally file a false police report to SWAT someone you're intentionally posting libel to incite vigilantes to go do stupid stuff. Whether or not you put forth the address is completely irrelevant. Even the mentally deficient vigilantes you'd actually incite to do something stupid are capable of using a search engine to locate the address of "Comet Pizza in DC" and finding the address of Comet Ping Pong in DC.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:53 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,334,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what happened to 'it's a private company, they can do what they want', and the ever-popular 'build your own twitter'?

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-...pany-rcna62032
the only reason they're called "several high-profile journalists" is because they have 10's of thousands of tweets.

They are expending massive amounts of their fragile psychological energy FUFO'ing. It started with parodying and misuse of the blue check status. Now, they chose to endanger the safety of his child, all in their Quixotic quest to appear superior.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
At least the commedia is consistent.

I am so old, I remember when the media used to at least try to pretend that they were not fully biased to the Left, or were a tool of the Democratic Party. No longer. Their Left wing mission and support is brazen. They don't care anymore because they know we can't do anything about it. The control the entire message for anyone who is not actively trying to seek knowledge beyond their lies and propaganda.
they literally describe him as "progressive journalist Aaron Rupar". Rupar doesn't have a job, or produce specifically for an outlet or 3. He freelances and tweets pro-progressive and anti-conservative diatribes all day.

Or, I should say, he used to.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:01 PM

29,886 posts, read 14,936,740 times
Quote:
So journalists who reported that Mastadon was banned for doxxing Musk were banned.

That's the story.

The journalists did not reveal any locations.

They revealed that Mastadon revealed locations.

Musk in his infinite wisdom was mad at the journalists for reporting on Mastadon. So he bans them because he didn't want Mastadon to get the notariety.

So he bans a bunch of MSM journalists claiming they doxxed but they didn't.

And this morning we wake up and most of us who never ever heard about Mastadon and their doxxing -- are now on our way to check out Mastadon and where Musk is today.

Brilliant move Musk. That kind of chess play will work for you ....NEVER.

I understand -- he was mad about Mastadon but He should have taken 24 hours and thought of the domino effect of his actions.

He didn't...because he's not that smart.
Lol...talk about losing all credibility.
I can understand you not liking his decision to do this, or disagreeing with an opinion he has, but to say that Musk is "not that smart" makes you look silly.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
7 day suspension then.

Whatever.

Musk goofed. Instead of proving he is taking things seriously, it is clear he is playing a game and it is working.

All he had to do was delete allt he posts with Mastadon reference -- and be done with it.

Instead he blew it up --- amplified the company that he doesn't want people to know about.

I believe he has a right to ban, suspend, delete, addd whoever he wants.

But let's not pretend it is for any principled reason other than his personal whim.
everyone interested in Mastodon already knew about Mastodon. They (the progressive whiners of Twitter [PWT]) had been setting up and promoting their accounts at Mastodon for weeks.

Now, I don't know if he ACTUALLY suspended accounts for doxxing his kid. I also don't know if upon appearing in the Twitter Space confab he was "grilled by the journos" as these PWT's insist or "got on there, made his statement and left" as non-PWT's insist.

What we do know from evidence is 2 things - it's his private enterprise to deal with in this haphazard, putting out fires method, and the PWT's have been constant in their attention-whoring nothing-better-to-do-with-their-time behavior.

Old 12-16-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Flip it around. If instead of it being about Musk a reporter wrote a story and cited the same original source about flight delays during holiday travel including some examples of flight data to highlight the delays travelers were experiencing you think they'd get suspended?
Of course not, and why should they? What you detail doesn't single out any individual. It would actually be a "news story" - of actual value to many people.

Are airline passenger logs public information?

Old 12-16-2022, 12:18 PM

22,064 posts, read 25,429,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Of course not, and why should they? What you detail doesn't single out any individual. It would actually be a "news story" - of actual value to many people.

Are airline passenger logs public information?
Neither is Elon Jet. It just shows his jet, not who is on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies