Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 11:55 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
It's pointless. Other than to show other people that you have a low iq.....or to rob a bank. In that case, it is definitely not pointless.

Wearing a cloth mask is pointless against a microscopic virus. It is like putting up a chain link fence to stop mosquitos from getting into your yard.

The better quality N95 masks do work.

I know that if I was on a long flight and the guy behind me was coughing, sneezing and sputtering away I'd be wishing he had to wear a mask. I would put one on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2022, 12:13 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Vertue signaling or wearing a mask because you feel like you're someone as the Babylon Bee once mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBsCHDdi_O4

That clip aged well.

Aged well and is pretty much how it was. I loved watching out the corner of my eye at the mask-holes glaring at me when I had the nerve to appear maskless at the grocery store after a few months of the make believe deadly contagion lockdown. Yes, yes, I know that people died. People die of the flu too.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:57 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Airplanes are one of the few places I still mask. When I didn’t fly much, i managed to pick up multiple nasty bugs from plane travel between 2013-2017. I’ve done more butt in seat miles in 2021 and 2022 than I ever have- Delta Platinum Medallion now- and zero illnesses I can trace to plane travel during that time despite a couple of flights where I was immediately next to someone who was clearly pretty ill.

I will say that the best part of pandemic flying was from March 2020-March 2021 when Delta was leaving the middle seats empty and you never have to worry about someone crowding into your space even in the deep bowels of the back of the plane.
This is my story too. I tended to get sore throats after flying pretty regularly, but I got not a single one when we were all masking. The mandate was actually dropped while I was on a vacation; I flew outbound with a mask but went maskless on the way back home. And sure enough, I got a sore throat. Since then, I've masked on every flight, and I haven't gotten a sore throat since.

Sure, maybe it's just coincidence, or maybe it's the placebo effect, or maybe I've just gotten lucky, or maybe those upgraded filtration systems on airplanes are doing their job. But the common denominator is that when I wore a mask, I didn't get sick.

That said, I'm completely glad that the mandates are gone. Masking should be an optional choice, something for each individual to decide for themselves. We should respect whichever choice anyone chooses to make.

And yes, I loved it when the middle seats were vacant. I realize that this was not financially sustainable for the airlines, but it sure was nice while it lasted.

Old 12-16-2022, 08:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This is my story too. I tended to get sore throats after flying pretty regularly, but I got not a single one when we were all masking. The mandate was actually dropped while I was on a vacation; I flew outbound with a mask but went maskless on the way back home. And sure enough, I got a sore throat. Since then, I've masked on every flight, and I haven't gotten a sore throat since.
I wonder if that’s a case of the masks keeping moist air in your throat and nasal passages better. Airline air is very, very dry- I end up really gooping on the hand lotion for a few days after a plane trip. Could be you’ve got nice strong lungs that do almost too good of a job pushing moist air out and then pulling very dry air back into your respiratory track.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:05 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Link: https://www.realclearinvestigations....ks_870032.html

Not surprising, since wearing a mask is 100% pointless, except to virtue signal to other brainwashed libs.
Well masks obviously worked since there was a sharp decline in flu cases. And the fights on planes were caused by people having temper tantrums. That was ridiculous and not a good look for any of them.

Old 12-16-2022, 09:13 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
The friendly skies too often resembled “season’s beatings” shopping brawls during the pandemic, as the number of arguments and even fistfights surged on-board. Viral videos of the flight-and-fight mayhem frequently had a common denominator – the federal government’s mask requirement.

So it may come as little surprise that disruptions on commercial domestic flights have plummeted by 74% since the Biden administration’s mask mandate was  overturned by a federal judge in April. The current rate is 1.7 unruly passengers per 10,000 flights, down from 6.4 per 10,000 in February.
I have to say, even 6.4 per 10,000 flights is an amazingly low number.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:34 AM

17,614 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well masks obviously worked since there was a sharp decline in flu cases. And the fights on planes were caused by people having temper tantrums. That was ridiculous and not a good look for any of them.
No, they didn’t “obviously work.” There was no difference in COVID rates between states with strict mask mandates versus states without.

Lack of the flu was probably due to people locking themselves in their homes and working remotely.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:51 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
A bunch of Snowflakes freaking out on a plane for wearing a piece of cloth over your face. What an entitled bunch.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Quote:
No, they didn’t “obviously work.” There was no difference in COVID rates between states with strict mask mandates versus states without.

Lack of the flu was probably due to people locking themselves in their homes and working remotely.
Yes mandates didn't seem to impact COVID rate but without knowing what percentage of the population chose to wear a mask....your conclusions are baseless.

What was the rate of voluntary mask wearing in those states?

What was the rate of enforcement?

It was clear mask mandates brought out the worst in people. Not sure that speaks well of humans but it is true people don't like to be told what to do...especially if it is someone they didn't vote for. LOL.

I wasn't a huge advocate of the vaccine or mask mandates by govt. because of the push back.

Old 12-17-2022, 07:33 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Wearing a mask is not pointless but it sure was a pain in the butt when it was mandated. No one likes to be told what to do as we saw in so many delayed and diverted flights when people took a stand only to be dragged off the plane for not complying.

I was in a Walmart yesterday and I was surprised how many people were wearing masks. I'd say nearly a quarter of the shoppers were but they were mostly elderly and handicapped people so they might have a good reason to avoid all germs. I didn't wear one but I avoided the busy aisles. I just don't want to be shoulder to shopping cart with too many people.

I haven't flown since before the Covid hit but my wife is chomping at the bit to go back home and see some babies that were born into her family. I think we would wear masks.

Masks should have always been optional not mandated because they made people angry and restricting oxygen to the brain made some fly off the handle as we have witnessed.
You’ve delayed flying to see grand babies due to Covid?

If wearing a cloth mask or store bought is not pointless, please share the factual reasons for wearing as well as the benefits of not wearing a mask. The mask wearers are to benefit who again; the wearer or public?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies