Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2022, 02:51 PM

51,094 posts, read 36,813,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
Maybe it's time to unsticky the Biden lies thread. It's clear no one cares anymore. Or don't try to make us care about something you don't. Same standards for all.
It's not the same at all. What this man did is not comparable to any lie any politician told, ever. It's one thing to pad a resume, but when you tell people actual long stories about growing up Jewish, about what you went through when 5 of your employees were killed, stories about your college days, and none of it is real, that is very, very different, and it blows my mind that people can't stand far enough back from partisan politics to see it. There is no way to normalize this. I would feel exactly the same if he was a D. This is pathological.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:55 PM

43,433 posts, read 18,529,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not the same at all. What this man did is not comparable to any lie any politician told, ever. It's one thing to pad a resume, but when you tell people actual long stories about growing up Jewish, about what you went through when 5 of your employees were killed, stories about your college days, and none of it is real, that is very, very different, and it blows my mind that people can't stand far enough back from divisive politics to see it. There is no way to normalize this.
When you give people a pass for lying the lying only gets more intense.
And then investigations more interested in how he supported Trump vs his actual background info.

He's the one laughing now....he ran twice now and no one noticed.

if anything Santos just set a new bar for lying.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:11 PM

675 posts, read 508,608 times
Quote:
Okay let’s compare to Warren:

1. Said she was Native American and wasn’t. The end.

Santos:

1. Said he was Jewish and his grandparents went through the Holocaust. Not a drop of Jewish blood. If it were just that, we could call it comparable.

2. Said he was gay, and that he lost five employees to Pulse Nightclub shooting. He’s not gay and doesn’t have a business with employees

3. Said he graduated college when he didn’t, and never attended the universities he said he did

4. Entire work history made up. Said he worked for Goldman Sachs and Citigroup. they never heard of him.

5. Said his mother died in 9/11. She died in 2016.

6. Said he owned 13 properties in NY. He owns zero. He lives with his sister in her house.

7. Said he started a charity for animals but not the case.

The biggest difference though to me is that he didn’t just make the claims, he gave false details and embellished them. He told detailed stories about growing up Jewish and repeated tales he said his grandparents told him about the Holocaust. He talked about the trauma of his mom dying in 9/11. He told detailed stories from his non-existent college days. Warren may have checked a box saying she was NA, but she didn’t tell about her childhood in the reservation or any other false details like this man did.

It’s not just telling a lie, this man has some kind of disorder. Normal people don’t do this. He is the very definition of pathological liar.
Elizabeth Warren was simply repeating family stories she had heard growing up. Anyone who has done enough Genealogy Research and hangs around Genealogy Groups and watches videos know that claiming to have Native American (especially Cherokee) Most Common family story/lore/myth/lie there is in Geneogly/Family history.

The verdict is still out (I believe) on whether warren has Native American. A DNA test did show none but that does not necessarily mean she has none. Could just be she did not inherit that DNA and that may be further back in her family tree than she may have thought also the possibility an ancestor (in the line where Native American said to come from) in her tree is not the father of one of her ancestor. Was it wrong or her to use it in the way she did without proof to back it up? Yes but as far as we know about her background and life everything else is true. Not comparable to Santos either, his lies are much worse. But have always claimed to have this or that (usually based on Family stories or other reasons), people use to say they were Swedish to hide the fact they were German.

Saying your grandparents were Jewish and survived the holocaust when it is not true, is much worse IMO! On top of that saying his mom died on 9/11. Those are outright intentional lies.

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 12-29-2022 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-29-2022, 03:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,915,770 times
The voters selected the guy and while he’s a lying slime, that’s not a disqualifying factor for an elected official and unless we turn up evidence that he hasn’t been an United States citizen for an appropriate length of time, the voters of his district and the Republican Party are stuck with him.

Yeah, it would be nice if he stepped aside as the disgrace level rises but he won a fair election so it’s his right to take the oath and serve the term.

Unlike the Republicans, I don’t believe in throwing out an election if I on’t like the result of it.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:23 PM

43,433 posts, read 18,529,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Saying your grandparents were Jewish and survived the holocaust when it is not true, is much worse IMO! On top of that saying his mom died on 9/11. Those are outright intentional lies.
Biden told everyone publicly his son died in Iraq. Not once but several times now.

The lying has been there in the public sphere by politicians and they got a free pass...Biden, Warren, Clinton, etc.
The more one let's it go...the bigger the lies get.

Maybe Santos finally jumped the shark with his level of lying.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:33 PM

51,094 posts, read 36,813,552 times
Quote:
Elizabeth Warren was simply repeating family stories she had heard growing up. Anyone who has done enough Genealogy Research and hangs around Genealogy Groups and watches videos know that claiming to have Native American (especially Cherokee) Most Common family story/lore/myth/lie there is in Geneogly/Family history.

The verdict is still out (I believe) on whether warren has Native American. A DNA test did show none but that does not necessarily mean she has none. Could just be she did not inherit that DNA and that may be further back in her family tree than she may have thought. Was it wrong or her to use it in the way she did without proof to back it up? Yes but as far as we know about her background and life everything else is true. Not comparable to Santos either, his lies are much worse. But have always claimed to have this or that (usually based on Family stories or other reasons), people use to say they were Swedish to hide the fact they were German.

I understand that. I was trying not to pick apart that point because I was trying to have a rational discussion on this, and I didn't want to derail it by arguing about that. But I can see it's not possible to have a rational discussion about anything here. It's just whataboutism and left vs right. I don't see this as even comparable enough to say which lie is "worse", because it's not just telling lies. It's embellishing and making up an entire life that never happened. If I meet a guy, and he tells me he surfed in Hawaii and that's not true, than he's a liar. But if he sits there and regales me with 2 hours worth of stories about his days surfing in Hawaii, and his wipeouts, and his close encounters with sharks, in great detail, that is very, very different to me. I find it hard to believe others don't see that difference. That is not just a liar but a pathological liar. I really think it's a personality disorder or some kind of mental disorder.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:34 PM

21,427 posts, read 7,494,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
It's getting national attention mostly, I think, because he's a Republican. ...
Strange comment.

ANYONE who lied about his entire life and then won public office would get this attention. He could have run as a Democrat ... we know nothing about him ... it would evoke the same reaction from the general public.

If he were a Democrat this would embarrass me a lot, so I guess I can understand why people want to spread the idea around that he is being singled out for his political affiliation.

But that's nuts.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:43 PM

4,526 posts, read 1,881,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Strange comment.

ANYONE who lied about his entire life and then won public office would get this attention. He could have run as a Democrat ... we know nothing about him ... it would evoke the same reaction from the general public.

If he were a Democrat this would embarrass me a lot, so I guess I can understand why people want to spread the idea around that he is being singled out for his political affiliation.

But that's nuts.
If he were democrat you’d be calling us all evil bigoted racist white supremacist trumpers for daring to criticize a gay Hispanic (sorry….latinX) guy.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:51 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,083,947 times
Quote:
Okay let’s compare to Warren:

1. Said she was Native American and wasn’t. The end.
Yeah. Its such a weak comparison here. She believed what she said, I'm sure. I say I'm Irish/English. I don't know I am. My family tells me we're Irish/English. I could be French. No idea. Never checked. If I say I'm Irish/English as that's what my family history has informed me, and I'm actually German (or whatever). I didn't lie. I was wrong. Huge difference. And the reality is a large number of long term families from OK believe they have Native blood in them, and a lot probably do. There is no reason to believe there was any lie here. Just like when I say I'm Irish/English, I am not lying... even if a genealogy tests later shows something else. Being wrong or incorrectly informed is vastly different from lying. This guy was straight up conning people, knowningly.

Quote:

The verdict is still out (I believe) on whether warren has Native American. A DNA test did show none but that does not necessarily mean she has none. Could just be she did not inherit that DNA and that may be further back in her family tree than she may have thought. Was it wrong or her to use it in the way she did without proof to back it up? Yes but as far as we know about her background and life everything else is true. Not comparable to Santos either, his lies are much worse. But have always claimed to have this or that (usually based on Family stories or other reasons), people use to say they were Swedish to hide the fact they were German.

Bingo. Not even closely related situations.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:55 PM

35,805 posts, read 18,137,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
If he were democrat you’d be calling us all evil bigoted racist white supremacist trumpers for daring to criticize a gay Hispanic (sorry….latinX) guy.
I don't know what his heritage is, and it appears he's not gay. His mother was from Brazil and I can't figure out who his dad is, or how he came to change his name from Devolder (his mom's maiden name) to Santos (who knows who's name).

DeVolder (or De Volder) is Flemish or Dutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies