Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2022, 07:05 AM

59,214 posts, read 27,403,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
What is it about West Virginia (and eastern Kentucky) that makes it rank so low with people leaving it? Life expectancies are unusually low there...why do they all smoke? Why do these heavy smoking areas drink so little and why do counties that drink heavily have higher life expectancies? This narrative about alcohol killing doesn't seem to hold up to actual statistics....except in Utah.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/20...unties-mapped/

Maybe I can find cheap real estate there...does no good if I hate the culture though. My question...what subculture lives in this area? (Eastern KY and WV)
"does no good if I hate the culture though."

And there are PLENTY who "hate the culture" where you live.

Don't like the sate, STAY OUT.

No ONE is FORCING you to move there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 07:11 AM

59,214 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I’m not intellectually rigid or closed minded but living around liberals in a city controlled by liberals politically was a nightmare, especially when the lockdowns began. Roped off playgrounds so kids cannot have a safe space to play in public…to socialize as their developmental needs demand…in the fresh air…sunshine…when schools were CLOSED. That is utterly unacceptable. Forced masking and attempts to fine people who don’t unless they have an excuse they deem valid. Attempting to cite business owners who don’t or can’t enforce it with customers. The school board and superintendent and commissioners doing shady stuff and getting themselves removed or having to resign. Homeless population out of control and using up resources. They put in place a landlord permit system with mandatory “sustainability” updates which will drive up rents even more. Property taxes are higher and building inspectors are hard to deal with and the office takes forever to process things. Putting rainbow crosswalks in front of CHURCHES. Don’t care about roads. Cops quitting left and right due to mismanagement. I won’t bother you with more details but those are off the top of my head reasons why we wanted to get out of there. It is more the govt itself than the people, but the people can be intolerable as well. They’ll cancel you in an instant. Pick fights on local social media. They don’t care about intellectual discourse, they just want to argue and be as woke as possible. My liberal “friends” have publicly shamed me for things I didn’t do, slights they perceived but weren’t based in reality. It is all embarrassing to be around, personally when they start in on you and also as someone who grew up there. I am ashamed to call it my hometown. I’m glad we moved to a place we can be proud of, that has values, the people have grit, and material things and virtue signaling are not at the forefront. It is also Christian by and large, as opposed to the anti-God culture of the other place.
"Quote: Originally Posted by blameyourself
Politics had nothing to do with it for us either"

Politics CERTAINLY had an affect of where I wanted to live when I retired many years ago.

Having lived in a dem run state my entire life, I couldn't wait to get out!

Old 12-28-2022, 07:12 AM

24,019 posts, read 15,120,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
If that were the case voters would be registering all Republican in Florida and Texas, however, that’s not the case. Not everyone chooses to live in poorly run states that have shut it down, require mandates, put businesses and folks out of business, etc…
One does not register to vote by party in Texas. One does declare their affiliation if they vote in a primary.

The party primary one voted in is stamped on the registration and your name entered into their book.

You cannot vote in the other party run off. That's it. I change back and forth depending on who the candidates are. Generally vote republican for all state and local.

Texas is controlled by Republicans because millions those eligible to vote, don't vote. The I don't care controls elections every time.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:06 AM

73,075 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
COL in Idaho and Utah are outrageous. And I do think the weather factors into it all.
According to this survey, Idaho and Utah cost of living aren't that far off from Florida.
https://meric.mo.gov/data/cost-living-data-series

I don't like the humid, tropical climate of Florida. Constant heat and humidity. Mosquitoes.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:12 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,242,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
According to this survey, Idaho and Utah cost of living aren't that far off from Florida.

I don't like the humid, tropical climate of Florida. Constant heat and humidity. Mosquitoes.
I can’t think of one possible reason why I’d ever consider moving to Utah or Idaho, but I’m certainly not so ignorant to not be able to understand why others would.

Nobody’s asking you to. You simply can’t accept that so many don’t share your feelings and choose to live in and move to Florida.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-28-2022 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-28-2022, 09:17 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,572,926 times
Quote:
I’m not intellectually rigid or closed minded but living around liberals in a city controlled by liberals politically was a nightmare, especially when the lockdowns began. Roped off playgrounds so kids cannot have a safe space to play in public…to socialize as their developmental needs demand…in the fresh air…sunshine…when schools were CLOSED. That is utterly unacceptable. Forced masking and attempts to fine people who don’t unless they have an excuse they deem valid. Attempting to cite business owners who don’t or can’t enforce it with customers. The school board and superintendent and commissioners doing shady stuff and getting themselves removed or having to resign. Homeless population out of control and using up resources. They put in place a landlord permit system with mandatory “sustainability” updates which will drive up rents even more. Property taxes are higher and building inspectors are hard to deal with and the office takes forever to process things. Putting rainbow crosswalks in front of CHURCHES. Don’t care about roads. Cops quitting left and right due to mismanagement. I won’t bother you with more details but those are off the top of my head reasons why we wanted to get out of there. It is more the govt itself than the people, but the people can be intolerable as well. They’ll cancel you in an instant. Pick fights on local social media. They don’t care about intellectual discourse, they just want to argue and be as woke as possible. My liberal “friends” have publicly shamed me for things I didn’t do, slights they perceived but weren’t based in reality. It is all embarrassing to be around, personally when they start in on you and also as someone who grew up there. I am ashamed to call it my hometown. I’m glad we moved to a place we can be proud of, that has values, the people have grit, and material things and virtue signaling are not at the forefront. It is also Christian by and large, as opposed to the anti-God culture of the other place.
Well you've certainly checked all the boxes with that reply (and not a positive one to boot...hmmm?). And most are subjective opinions.

So let's go through a few of them.

Cops quitting - that's going on all over the country last I checked (I could put some links but there are so many that a simply Google query is all that is needed to prove that point)

Your Liberal friends - First off, they're your friends so not much to say on that other than it usually takes two to tango. FWIW, I actually only know the political persuasions of about 1/3 of my friends and don't know of the way any of my neighbors vote in my subdivision. It doesn't come up in conversation and quite frankly I simply don't care. It's called etiquette and despite the fact that people like to rant and rave on a forum, that doesn't mean that's reality (most people I know are too polite to carry on like some of the people on this forum and certainly none are as childish as some of the posters here).

Picking fights on social media - Oh you mean like the neighborhood apps where people took sides regarding this virus. Seems to me like that went on everywhere and the loudest that I saw were people that were most at risk to the virus (not necessarily politically motivated). You don't think people pick fights on this forum (i.e sarcastic barbs and Muh).

Don't know about roads or crosswalks, but will say that a crosswalk is in no way a threat to me. If it is to you, perhaps that speaks to your tolerance level of others.

Ultimately, your group/neighbors/friends do not represent the millions upon millions in a state. It's probably best not to stereotype people in that regards. Btw, did you know that typically about 1/3 of most states voting are from independent voters?

With that said, it looks like you made the right choice for you. Congrats!

Old 12-28-2022, 09:39 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,242,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
One does not register to vote by party in Texas. One does declare their affiliation if they vote in a primary.

The party primary one voted in is stamped on the registration and your name entered into their book.

You cannot vote in the other party run off. That's it. I change back and forth depending on who the candidates are. Generally vote republican for all state and local.

Texas is controlled by Republicans because millions those eligible to vote, don't vote. The I don't care controls elections every time.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I’m a huge Abbott fan, and Texas has a lot of desirable amenities, and if not for loving Florida so much I could see living there.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:02 AM

276 posts, read 146,550 times
Quote:

Sounds amazing, you should move to Utah. Then tell all your friend to move to Utah. Then get the media to report on how amazing and MAGA Utah is. Let them know the 6' of snow keeps the hurricanes and mosquitos away. You can make Utah the new Florida! I believe in you!

Old 12-28-2022, 10:16 AM

73,075 posts, read 62,706,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Sounds amazing, you should move to Utah. Then tell all your friend to move to Utah. Then get the media to report on how amazing and MAGA Utah is. Let them know the 6' of snow keeps the hurricanes and mosquitos away. You can make Utah the new Florida! I believe in you!
I never said I would move to Utah. I said that alot of people are moving to Utah and Idaho. I've also mentioned people are moving to Texas in large numbers.

I'd rather deal with 6 ft of snow than a bunch of mosquitoes. Something else. If I get too old to deal with snow, I can retire in Arizona or Texas. In fact, many retirees go to Texas.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:34 AM

276 posts, read 146,550 times
Quote:
I never said I would move to Utah. I said that alot of people are moving to Utah and Idaho. I've also mentioned people are moving to Texas in large numbers.

I'd rather deal with 6 ft of snow than a bunch of mosquitoes. Something else. If I get too old to deal with snow, I can retire in Arizona or Texas. In fact, many retirees go to Texas.
I never get bitten by mosquitos here in FL. Now I live in a pretty populated area, so maybe out in the middle of the everglades you get mosquitos or maybe they just don't like my blood. However it's not a complaint I hear from anyone I know here and we have a lot of gatherings outside. I see way more bugs in NC in the summer than I do FL.

Different strokes for different folks. I can't do snow and cold. At least not for more than a week or two. Having lived in tropical climates my whole life I'm use to the hot and humid and can deal with it. I find just hydrating, taking clothes off and jump in the pool easier than putting on 23 layers of clothing anytime you want to step outside.

I've spent time in Texas and I could live there no problem. Honestly a lot of Texas is just has hot as FL. I've also been to Arizona and depending on the area it can be hot as hell and cold as **** also! The area around Flagstaff is gorgeous but it gets waaay to cold for me and they get plenty of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies