Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 09:38 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
This will never pass. A national sales tax would be one of the most regressive acts of Congress in the history of the country favoring only the rich. Typical republican idea.
You do realize that many here love regressive taxes right? RIGHT!!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 09:39 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Like that has a ghost of a chance. LOL.

Every lobbyist in the USA is going to stop any chance of it.

This is just a dog and pony show. Why waste the time on such an obvious charade to placate the 4 guys in Congress who are actually serious about it.

This is just the GOP doing what they do best -- they pass all of these bills that diehards want to see, knowing that either the president has an ironclad veto, or the other chamber of Congress will shoot it down.

It is a headfake. The GOP does this all the time -- teasingly passes bills that placate conservative while knowing for an incontrovertible fact they won't pass the other chamber or if it does, the current president will veto with no chance of override.

What a joke. I hate politicians. They are jackwipes of the highest order.
And a rep for you.

How about we just get every one who cheats, doesn't pay their taxes, and close loop holes to pay up instead. No need to tear it all down and start over. Just fix what's broken and tilted for the the rich.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:41 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Which sucks for states that already have sales taxes. I suppose those states will need to switch to income taxes.
there's only 5 without a statewide sales tax, though most of them allow and have local sales taxes. Alaska is the only place that doesn't have income or sales tax, though some local jurisdictions do.

Texas and FL, the 2 best-known "no income taxes!" states, have sales tax of about 6%. There's nothing that keeps states from having an income tax.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:43 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Welcome to the new normal for the next 2 years.

Don't expect any Republican initiatives getting passed, but at least we can "stop the bleeding" until 2024 comes around and Conservatives are in full charge.
Quote:
"They are lucky this won't pass since it would actually increase the deficit. So many more important things to address and this is first? Reminds me of their action to defund the ACA over 50 times when they had power under Obama.

If Republicans were serious to "defund the ACA" they had both houses and the White House for 2 years during the last administration so there was nothing to stop them.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
This will never pass. A national sales tax would be one of the most regressive acts of Congress in the history of the country favoring only the rich. Typical republican idea.
It favors the rich if they already own their yachts, exotic cars, and other expenses that the poor and middle class can't afford. For those items that we all buy such as clothing, furniture, toilet paper and trach bags, the rich would be paying less than they do now on income, the poor could pay more than now. I still advocate for a flat income tax, no deductions of any kind, 10% for individuals, 20% for corporations. You make only $10,000 this year you pay $1,000. You make $185,000, you pay $18,500. You could reduce the IRS staff and cost by about 90%.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:45 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I thought bills from the last congressional session had to be reintroduced in the new session. Did they have 72 hours to read it?
they do have to be reintroduced. That was the text of the bill that was introduced in 2021.

there won't be any "House Republicans to Vote on" for a couple months I'd think. It's got to be introduced, and it's got to go to committee . And then the committee has to vote it out.

in theory, this is an accurate description of the process.

https://www.genome.gov/about-genomic...ll-Becomes-Law

Old 01-10-2023, 09:48 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
How about we just get every one who cheats, doesn't pay their taxes, and close loop holes to pay up instead. No need to tear it all down and start over. Just fix what's broken and tilted for the the rich.
How is it "tilted for the rich" when they pay the highest taxes?

The US Federal Income Tax system is so tilted AGAINST the rich that the bottom 90% aren't even paying their fair share.

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
If Republicans were serious to "defund the ACA" they had both houses and the White House for 2 years during the last administration so there was nothing to stop them.
Didn't John McCain cast the deciding vote that squashed that effort?

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It favors the rich if they already own their yachts, exotic cars, and other expenses that the poor and middle class can't afford. For those items that we all buy such as clothing, furniture, toilet paper and trach bags, the rich would be paying less than they do now on income, the poor could pay more than now. I still advocate for a flat income tax, no deductions of any kind, 10% for individuals, 20% for corporations. You make only $10,000 this year you pay $1,000. You make $185,000, you pay $18,500. You could reduce the IRS staff and cost by about 90%.
Like the Affordable Care Act, that leaves people completely out who don't have an "income", but rather, live on the wealth they have accumulated. Which can be substantial.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:49 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
they do have to be reintroduced. That was the text of the bill that was introduced in 2021.

there won't be any "House Republicans to Vote on" for a couple months I'd think. It's got to be introduced, and it's got to go to committee . And then the committee has to vote it out.

in theory, this is an accurate description of the process.

https://www.genome.gov/about-genomic...ll-Becomes-Law
That was my point. There is a process and the Repubs just added a 72 hour reading period before each vote. So how did they have a vote on an IRS bill today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies